• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"An Idiot's Guide to 'Disc Selection Overlap'"

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Saw http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97134 and was intrigued, but am too inexperienced to offer input so I thought I'd start one for new throwers like myself who have little to contribute but a lot of questions.

Background: I'm right-handed but have ZERO power with my BH, so I'm primarily a RHFH thrower. I have nine discs in my bag:

Drivers (4): Champion Viking, C-Line Hysteria (don't even know if that's the correct way to write it), Star Beast, and a Leopard.

Mid-Range (2): Titanium Buzzz and Star Mako

Putters (3): two Aviars & a Birdie

Except for my Aviar putters, I know what to use each of my six remaining discs for. The putters are sort-of a crap shoot at this point (still getting my form down) and the Birdie I keep purely for psychosomatic reasons, e.g. I'll use it when I'm going for that rare -1 par.

My Viking seems to settle and fly straight. I get more curve with my Beast. And my C-Line snakes (left to right) just perfectly. My Mako flies straight, but I can only throw it backhand; and my Buzzz seems a bit erratic, but is tamable if I take my time. I only use the Leopard for water shots.

My question is: Is this normal? Do I have too many discs or not enough? Should I be looking for more or should I work with what I've got? I'll admit, disc shopping is a bit like tattoos: the more you get, the more you want. But I'm not good enough to have a disc for every shot. I'm just now getting my RHFH hyzer-anhyzer technique to the point where I'm actually comfortable throwing with the slight expectation that the disc is going to do what I want it to do.

For you new guys (or relatively new guys) out there, what do y'all have? How long did it take for you to get comfortable with your bag? How long did it take you to get comfortable with your technique/discs? And finally, when it comes to stewed prunes, are three enough? Are four too many?

For you new guys (or relatively new guys) out there, what do y'all have?

I'm still learning basic technique so I use only a few discs in actual play. I own many discs for practice because I have more money than sense, but they get left behind when I want to actually win against my friends.

At my level of experience more discs means more bad shots while fewer discs means more good shots.

SS Wizard: Most throws and all putting. I would like to explore all of the stiffnesses of wizards, but I am saving this as a reward for later progress.

Lightweight Magic: For when I need to go as straight as possible or throw uphill. With more practice the Wizard should make this redundant.

Floppy Vibram something: Short approaches and high hyzer/anny throws.

Most of the longer drives at my home course are downhill, otherwise I would also use a midrange.

Hey guys-- good thread I just wanted to chime in and note that you should neverrrrr feel like you cant or aren't skilled enough to post in a currently running thread via a topic which is being discussed in depth and dumb it down. Most of us would rather discuss with you guys anyways and its more benefitcial to the site viewers as a whole even though some of the info could be sought out via search that function is often over-looked by guests as well as new-comers. SO POST AWAY-- don't be scrrrrrred ;)

id even ask if the MODS could combine these and add our posts so we can continue at the original thread via this topic.

Exactly what AFTC said. We're sick of talking amongst ourselves about the same things we've been discussing since 2009... Ask questions around here and we'll be more than happy to help out. We have our own experience and what we've learned, but we also have pros around here like Chris Hysell who's been playing for something like 28 years. There is a WEALTH of knowledge.

Enough with that. Back to your discs. First, it's great that you're learning what your discs do. That's what makes the game fun. As your form gets better, those discs will fly a little bit differently. Maybe you get better speed and so they come out of your hand faster, or maybe you learn more about nose angle and so they fly flatter. Whatever the case, you will always be adapting your game.

Having said that, I would encourage you to find a fairly simple course near you and spend a few rounds with each disc. Maybe play one round a day for a week with your viking (and ONLY that disc. I know it sounds crazy, but you'll learn how it flies at all kinds of distances). I have done that with every disc I own and trust me, it helps. In rare circumstances, the disc you think you'd never use to do ______ will be EXACTLY the disc you need, and you'll trust it because you've spent time with it, getting to know how it flies.

All in all, you have a pretty good bag setup right now. You aren't throwing a lot of warp-speed drivers, and you're fairly comfortable with what you have. The only thing I would say, is pick a putter. When you have one picked, putt with it. I know that sounds dumb, but I messed around with different putters for a while and decided that I would just pick one and go with it. I have other putters that I drive with but the only thing I putt with are my CE Aviars.

Beyond that, I will only give you this piece of advice and I would say >95% of this site would agree with this one. The key to playing successful disc golf is to have fun. If you are having fun, you can shoot terrible and still have a good day. If you let a bad shot ruin your day, it doesn't matter if you shoot -17 over 18 holes! I've had days where I'm +5 on a course and loving it and other days where I quit after 9 holes of -1 golf because I'm not enjoying it. "Most fun wins."

Having said that, I would encourage you to find a fairly simple course near you and spend a few rounds with each disc.

IMO you should learn your discs on a practice field, not on a course.

Nemmers : your bag has some holes in it, but that is fine for now. You should not start with those super overstable and super fast discs anyway until you have developed some basic form. But there are definintly some overstable discs missing in your bag, but you will add them as you progress.

TBH i would work just with the aviars and the buzz for now, till you can shoot anything within 250 in 2 with only those discs. Then move up to the leopard.

I have heard a lot of people say that Smigles, but it has been my experience that the practice field gives you a I'm one directional game, whereas if you are on the course, you may be forced to do something with the disc that you wouldn't even think to do in an open field (like throw a 75' upshot with a driver for instance.) while that May or may not be necessary to your game, when the situation arises, you can make the best decision based on the tools at your disposal.

I'm RHBH.
Here's what I (usually) carry now:

Drivers : Leopard, UnLace, Valkyrie, Star TL
Mid-Range : Comet, ROC, Shark
Putters : two Darts, Soft Magnet

Your question is; "Is this normal?" As far as I can tell, there is no normal. I can't throw premium plastic worth a krap, but I keep trying and am getting marginally better with it. I don't throw premium much during actual rounds, mostly in practice.

I don't believe I'll ever get "comfortable" with my bag since I should be improving which means I should be growing out of some discs as time progresses. I've already gone through the Buzz, Cobra, Aviar, Sidewinder, Wolf, Skeeter and a few high speed drivers that I bought before I realized they were too much for a beginner. I really liked the Wolf and Skeeter and may go back to them someday.

As far as getting comfy with my technique, that's still a work in progress. And, I need to start developing a forehand.

One stewed prune is two too many.

The only thing I can recommend to you all: drop all your drivers and only throw midranges and putters. This gave me about 30m distance within a couple of weeks. I know it feels wrong to not use all those great long distance high speed drivers. But it was totally worth it for me not only distance wise. It helped a lot in shaping lines, accuracy became better...

IMO you should learn your discs on a practice field, not on a course.

Nemmers : your bag has some holes in it, but that is fine for now. You should not start with those super overstable and super fast discs anyway until you have developed some basic form. But there are definintly some overstable discs missing in your bag, but you will add them as you progress.

TBH i would work just with the aviars and the buzz for now, till you can shoot anything within 250 in 2 with only those discs. Then move up to the leopard.

good advice here. and something to work toward.

My advice is there no such thing as overlap as long as you know your discs. Feldberg carries 35-40 discs. Typically I play everyday and know my discs, I only carry 20-22 though.

Knowing what your discs do is more important then having two that do similar lines.

"Discing Down" is always pointed out as the way to advance. Which is great for practice rounds but it's really hard not to carry fairways / drivers when you can get more distance with them.

So my preferred method is to only throw as fast as will help. Which means that if throwing a leopard doesn't consistently result in more distance (30-40ft) than the Roc/Buzz don't throw it. I'm currently stuck at speed 9s. I may not be improving as fast as I could if I stuck with the "don't throw anything faster than mids till you can get them 350ft" strategy. But I don't wish I had that other disc when I come up short.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW - I agree with the single or two disc practice rounds. It forces you to try those hyzer / anny lines.

I feel like it has been proven that high speed discs hide flaws. and until you take the time to work those out true potential will not be found.

Hey guys-- good thread I just wanted to chime in and note that you should neverrrrr feel like you cant or aren't skilled enough to post in a currently running thread via a topic which is being discussed in depth and dumb it down. Most of us would rather discuss with you guys anyways and its more benefitcial to the site viewers as a whole even though some of the info could be sought out via search that function is often over-looked by guests as well as new-comers. SO POST AWAY-- don't be scrrrrrred ;)

id even ask if the MODS could combine these and add our posts so we can continue at the original thread via this topic.

I ain't skerred, brother -- like ol' girl said, "If you're scared, go to church!" -- I just don't want to dumb down what looked like a promising discussion with dumb-ass questions that can be answered in other threads for n00bs who lack the motivation to search. Pre-shate the encouragement though.

I like the advice of throwing with one disc. Done that a few times, but never for real and for serious. Just when I'm taking my kids out in a vain attempt to get them to pick up the game....both girls, ages 13 and 11. Not that girls can't throw, just that mine are at that age where ol' Dad doesn't know JACK and can't teach them anything because they're too cool and I haven't been a teenager before to hear them tell it.

I just want some consistency. I realize most of that consistency comes from form. I'm figuring that out (slowly....form, I mean), but discs do make a difference and that's why I started this thread. I'm curious as to what's worked for other people who've recently picked up the game. Figuring out what discs work best in certain situations is sort of a thrill that keeps the game engaging. And just to assuage any confusion, if this game weren't fun I wouldn't be playing it. :)

Thanks for the tips, y'all!

I have gone on a shopping spree trying to find discs that work for me. I know what you are feeling. Weights and plastics of the disc could play factors in your throw. I use innova dx around 165 until I get the form and technique mastered. My friends have told me to stay away from champion and start right now. I hope that helps.

Been playing since April, RHBH thrower. Here's what I carry, for what it's worth:

Drivers
174g Innova Pro Destroyer (for hyzer bombs and headwinds where I want to be sure to finish left... was just developing a nice flex shot with it before the cold set in here)
174g and 164g Discraft Elite Z Nuke SS (Have been bagging both the last couple months; one for wind and one for distance. I'm turning them over too easily now and will probably go to one 170g regular Nuke next spring to take their place.
171g Innova DX Valkyrie (water disc, utility driver, long approaches; great dependable all-around disc for me)
150g Blizzard Champion Katana (For the ultra-rare no-wind, open hole.)
172g Discraft Elite Z Avenger SS (dependable hyzers... I know it says SS, the disc acts very stable to OS for me...)
158g Discraft Pro D Avenger SS (beat in- my dependable Anhyzer disc...go figure, eh?)
157g Discraft Elite Z Flick (just added this disc to my bag; my most overstable disc)
170g Champion Roadrunner (rollers, forehands, overhands, thumbers)

Mids
177g Discraft Elite Z Buzzz SS (windy approaches)
166g Discraft Elite Z Buzzz (not much difference from the heavier SS for me, I just love the purple color and feel safer at night keeping two Buzzzes bagged.. I could use the excuse that this disc is the one that keeps all the others from banging around in the bag when I walk)
168g and 170g Discraft Elite Z Glide (my go-to discs; will hold any line I put them on... too bad I rarely put them on the RIGHT line... I keep two bagged, in different colors.. red and orange...pick the one that contrasts with the fallen leaves the most at each hole.) EDIT: Oh, I also use this disc for all my chicken wing throws... Yep, I throw the chicken wing, and pretty darn well, if I say so myself.

Putter
173g Innova Pro Birdie (I have a few aviars and magnets... I just love the gummy Pro Birdie and only bring it to the course. It's also my lone ace disc.)

I've got a long way to go to be any good... but I've learned tons this season, progressed leaps and bounds, and have had a lot of fun doing it. I'm now looking forward to 40 degree weather...cause hey, that's warm enough to throw if there's no heavy snow, right?

Last edited: