• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ANDROID APP IS OUT!!

There is a difference between being cheap, and not throwing money away. Were this a nonprofit effort, scrutiny could be ignored, but since it's designed to make money, it's not immune to scrutiny. $5 is not a lot of money in general, but in terms of app purchases, it's significant. Would you spend $30 for a DX Teebird?

A larger company selling millions of copies of a $2 app and not relying on a server backend isn't a valid comparison. So yes, it's for profit because I need to support the infrastructure and make up the development costs and maybe spend $5 on a meal myself once in a while.

I can guarantee you I'm not running to the bank with millions of dollars. The other apps in this space are at a comparable, equal or even more expensive price price point. *Everyone* that buys app is cheap, I'm guilty of it myself. You walk around with a $400 phone and agonize over spending a few bucks on an app while you drink a $7 coffee :)

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Bought, Looks sweet at first glance.

a couple little things i noticed...

you can't add sub-zero temps... the "minus" button is there when the keypad pops up to enter temps but the button doesn't allow you to enter it. the numbers are the only buttons that work on that key pad. It would be sweet to have the weather auto entered like ESC does, i think someone mentioned this already...

In the App Settings menu, under Scoring, under Player Auto Advance, it says "During scoring entry, advance to the next next player automatically" did you mean to use next twice?

I'm gonna keep playing around with it but once you get the hang of searching around to figure out how to use it it seems like it has a lot of features that are similar to the apps out there but the inclusion of searching the database of courses and having all of the features of DGCR (or most of them) is pretty nice!

GPS for tees and pins might be cool to get more accurate (or maybe in some case inaccurate) distances. If you include a feature like this how would it affect the course data entered on the site? If you allow for manipulation of hole data on the app, would it change the data on the website or just in your app?

I'll get the negative temperature and that double "next" sorted out. I don't really trust content to come from phones to update the site so that probably won't happen, at least not in a way that would be incorporated into site information. Maybe just something for the app in the future for people that like that sort of thing but I think it's a little too unreliable (in terms of user error) to make that an "official" hole measurement.

Tim,

One question I wanted to ask but didn't want to get lost in my response above: Have you given any thought to a crown that would allow users of both iOS and Android to unlock the app? As I mentioned above, I have current generation devices on both OS's. Being able to interchange data and scores across both devices would be an absolutely HUGE selling feature for me, and I'd love the security of knowing I was covered if I ever get rid of one or the other. I know the cost of iOS development is higher than Android (another reason iOS people are forced to pay for more apps) so I don't want to suggest a specific price, but maybe a buck or two lower that purchasing separately?

Well, if you upload scores to the site, you can always sync your scores to the other device for that course or all courses whenever you want (does require a crown). If it's a round with 4 friends, that won't transfer over as a group round though so it would be a solo round on whatever device it was imported on.

Google has no way of doing any sort of discount code, so I don't know how to do a two-fer deal. Maybe when one comes out I could have you send a google order # in and provide a code for the iOS app or something. I haven't messed around with the iTunes store at al to know what my options are there yet. I just know I can do codes.

I don't really trust content to come from phones to update the site so that probably won't happen, at least not in a way that would be incorporated into site information. Maybe just something for the app in the future for people that like that sort of thing but I think it's a little too unreliable (in terms of user error) to make that an "official" hole measurement.
Even more than user error, I worry about GPS error. At best GPS on Udisc is +/-12', and from what I've read that seems reasonable for GPS in general. Now, that means at best our GPS measurements could be as far off as 24' (250' hole, phone reads GPS at tee position as 12' East of true and reads 12' west of true at the pin = hole reads 274'). This is best case scenario, and doesn't account for discrepancies like where the tee position reading was taken (front or back could add another 8-12' of difference). GPS position readings are close enough for every day golf, but assuming the course designer measured their holes properly (and yes, I'm aware this is a LARGE assumption) I'd rather have their distances posted on the site.

Well, if you upload scores to the site, you can always sync your scores to the other device for that course or all courses whenever you want (does require a crown). If it's a round with 4 friends, that won't transfer over as a group round though so it would be a solo round on whatever device it was imported on.

Google has no way of doing any sort of discount code, so I don't know how to do a two-fer deal. Maybe when one comes out I could have you send a google order # in and provide a code for the iOS app or something. I haven't messed around with the iTunes store at al to know what my options are there yet. I just know I can do codes.
Personally I don't care, I'm just interested in what you're doing, and spitballing ideas. Feel free to ignore me. Regardless of cost, I'm buying the Android app on Friday, and will buy the iOS app when it comes out. I guess what I meant was some sort of crown that included all the premium features of the app and a subscription to both apps. Maybe you could provide a direct link to sideload the Android App and bypass the app store that way? That way you wouldn't lose as much money.

Last edited:
Well, I don't play tournaments and I'm surprised that is a selling point. I also don't track my scores. Put me in the rec group I suppose. So I don't see what this app will do that I can't get from a free one unfortunately. It would be cool if you could track throw distance. That might get me to bite. Wish you a lot of success though. :)

^^ Did not mean to sound snarky in my response to Tim. I just feel bad taking up so much of his time. The invitation to ignore my ideas was sincere, not sarcastic in any way. (missed edit window)

Personally I don't care, I'm just interested in what you're doing, and spitballing ideas. Feel free to ignore me. Regardless of cost, I'm buying the Android app on Friday, and will buy the iOS app when it comes out. I guess what I meant was some sort of crown that included all the premium features of the app and a subscription to both apps. Maybe you could provide a direct link to sideload the Android App and bypass the app store that way? That way you wouldn't lose as much money.

I certainly appreciate that! There is no ongoing cost with the apps, you buy it once and you're done. No in-app purchases, etc. Any premium member gets access to those features in both apps so I guess that kind of already exists or I'm totally misunderstanding what you're getting at. Like a package deal for a premium account and the apps?

Well, I don't play tournaments and I'm surprised that is a selling point. I also don't track my scores. Put me in the rec group I suppose. So I don't see what this app will do that I can't get from a free one unfortunately. It would be cool if you could track throw distance. That might get me to bite. Wish you a lot of success though. :)

The benefit for you then would be the smoothness of a native experience versus a stateless web page. Easier to view photos, read reviews, etc. on a mobile device. Great for trips but if you play at your local courses 99% of the time and don't track scores, it probably isn't a useful purchase :)

People who complain about $5 for an app that has zero ads and no IAPs with updates are just cheap. I'm sorry, but you are. It's not a $5 subscription, it's a $5 one time purchase. Tim had to put a lot of time and money into this I'm sure. There is a reason why every company and website out there does not have its own mobile app and just go with a mobile site.

I decided I'm just going to buy it based on 2 things. Supporting DGCR and the responses in this thread.

People who complain about $5 for an app that has zero ads and no IAPs with updates are just cheap. I'm sorry, but you are. It's not a $5 subscription, it's a $5 one time purchase. Tim had to put a lot of time and money into this I'm sure. There is a reason why every company and website out there does not have its own mobile app and just go with a mobile site.

I decided I'm just going to buy it based on 2 things. Supporting DGCR and the responses in this thread.

It's insulting to be called "cheap" for pointing out the price points for Android apps in the Play Store. If you want to purchase the app, that's fine. It's nice to see the support you're giving the site, and Tim. To insult everyone who questioned the pricing, however, is ridiculous. $5 is $5, I get it, but money is relative to different people. I don't like to overpay, no matter if it's purchases of $1000, or $1. Based on comparable apps that are available, I feel I would be overpaying. The same sentiment was expressed on Reddit by several others. I wish Tim the best of luck, and hope more people like yourself continue to buy the app.

It's insulting to be called "cheap" for pointing out the price points for Android apps in the Play Store. If you want to purchase the app, that's fine. It's nice to see the support you're giving the site, and Tim. To insult everyone who questioned the pricing, however, is ridiculous. $5 is $5, I get it, but money is relative to different people. I don't like to overpay, no matter if it's purchases of $1000, or $1. Based on comparable apps that are available, I feel I would be overpaying. The same sentiment was expressed on Reddit by several others. I wish Tim the best of luck, and hope more people like yourself continue to buy the app.

If you are truly "insulted" by being called cheap for thinking the app is a waste of $5, then I apologize. If someone thinks it's too expensive, fine, that's up to them. But to get on this thread, complain about the price, after others have already done so, in a manner that is not nicer, such as, "$5 too rich for my blood, but I'm down for an ad supported ad," is silly.

If it's on the internet (or Reddit for that matter), it must be 100% true. And I have no clue why people say "price point." Hell, even Urban Dictionary (which is obviously not a "reputable" source, but that's my point) thinks so: n., bull**** speak for "price", in common use by real estate industry "professionals" to emphasize a limited vocabulary.

Bought it!

Heads up, when searching "disc golf course review" on the play store it was the 32nd result. I have no idea how to improve that, but it seems like when i search for the exact name of the app it should appear #1.

Bought it!

Heads up, when searching "disc golf course review" on the play store it was the 32nd result. I have no idea how to improve that, but it seems like when i search for the exact name of the app it should appear #1.

Yea, that's weird. Maybe because it's "disc golf" and it needs to earn reviews to be shown higher? I'm not sure how it works either. If you search dgcoursereview it's the only listing.

Also, thank you for getting it, I really appreciate it!

And I have no clue why people say "price point." Hell, even Urban Dictionary (which is obviously not a "reputable" source, but that's my point) thinks so: n., bull**** speak for "price", in common use by real estate industry "professionals" to emphasize a limited vocabulary.

Price point may often be used incorrectly, but it is a well established term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point

"When a vendor increases a price beyond a price point (say to a price slightly above price point B), sales volume decreases by an amount more than proportional to the price increase. This decrease in quantity-demanded more than offsets the additional revenue from the increased unit-price. As a result, total revenue (price multiplied by quantity-demanded) decreases when a firm raises its price beyond a price point. Technically, the price elasticity of demand is low (inelastic) at a price lower than the price point (steep section of the demand curve), and high (elastic) at a price higher than a price point (gently sloping part of the demand curve). Firms commonly set prices at existing price-points as a marketing strategy."

In layman's terms, price refers to the actual price of the product. Price point relates to a theoretical spot that the price could be raised or lowered to for a particular strategy.

Latest posts