• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Android app just for disc golf

DaveMacD

I'm planning to dive head first into Android development this summer, and I was thinking that a good project might be developing a good, purpose-built disc golf app. Not a ball golf app that kind of works for dg. What sorts of features would you like to see in such an app?

Must-haves:
-score card (is up to six players enough?)
-variable course length (up to 27 holes? 36?)
-GPS distance to pin (in feet!!!! pin locations would have to be user-submitted)
-Overhead images of courses from Google Earth

If possible/Fun:
-save users and keep track of "records" among your friends
-leaderboard over several rounds
-"Where's the next tee?"

Dream:
What would be SUPER SWEET would be to develop an official or quasi-official DG Course Review App. By accessing the DGCR database, you could get all that juicy course info right there on your phone and feed it into the scorecard, pars, course records, submit your rounds automatically when you're done, add/edit course info, review the thing while it's still fresh in your mind. What do you guys think?

What would be SUPER SWEET would be to develop an official or quasi-official DG Course Review App. By accessing the DGCR database, you could get all that juicy course info right there on your phone and feed it into the scorecard, pars, course records, submit your rounds automatically when you're done, add/edit course info, review the thing while it's still fresh in your mind. What do you guys think?

If the admins were to agree with it, and you can integrate it with our existing user profiles, I'd say it's a brilliant idea. I would suggest you focus more on developing a solid universal back end. (maybe in Java?) People may want to utilize it for an app on a CrackBerry or an iMaxi or something, and also on general principle, since the platforms will be constantly changing for some time to come.

A simple program my friend uses on the iPhone is this one. It doesn't have distances, and perhaps if it was customizable (keeping in mind rotating pin positions), that would be cool; but sounds like a very complex project with constant updates if you wanted to build in a national database.

I agree with the responder recommending syncing the program with DGCR info as it stays updated. That still doesn't help the rotating pin position issue, though.

I would pay for an app like you've described (if it were linked in to DGCR)

What I currently use is AccelGolf (obviously tailored for ball golf).

Things I'd like to see in the program:

1) Score tracking online and up to 6 players (submit the game after completion and it is saved in online database)

2) NO GPS DISTANCES TO HOLE (because it's illegal in PDGA play to have range finder, I would prefer this to not be an option...this way I could use the program on my phone without someone accusing me of trying to get the ranges)

3) Option to enter what disc was thrown for each shot (yes, this may be overkill, but in ball golf you can select the different clubs you used for each shot, and I like the idea of tracking what disc was used for future reference to see if certain discs seem to be linked to less accurate drives, penalties, etc...)

AccelGolf allows me to enter a courses information online including number of holes, distance to pin, different tees (am, pro, etc...). It also lets you add new courses (if for some reason the one you're playing isn't already listed).

Anyway...do it man! This would be AWESOME and some in the DG community might even pay some $ for it. :)

In terms of how many holes it handles for a round, why set the numbers ahead of time? The disc golf scorecard app I use on my iPhone just lets you play until your round is over, and you hit the quit button to end the round whether that's after 3, 9, 18, 22, however many holes you play, that way it's not a pain to keep score on courses with weird numbers of holes.

Work on a DGCR app, Basically a Mobile scorebook, although the accel app is a good example of a well rounded app, and as for the club selection you could pre enter your discs and then they could drop down like the clubs.

Huh, never thought of the option to list discs thrown per hole...but yeah, that'd be really sweet. Put me down for wanting it too!

I'm currently using "Easy Scorecard" on my Samsung Moment (android 2.1) and l really like the flow of the in-game scoring process, but the option to set up courses with non-standard holes (not 9/18/27) would be nice. If I just skip a hole on the fly it's easy enough to mark par then note at the end of the round, but often I know ahead of time that hole(s) will be skipped due to conditions or whatever.

has noone seen the DG app for iphone. keeps scores, saves scores. saves course's and all there pars if not all 3. multiple people. Can play as many holes as you want. It could be upgraded though, so if you get a chance to see that app, you could run with there idea.

Dream:

This would be awesome. An app that was just a front end for saving and displaying information that comes from this site and then allows you to post your score to your scorebook.

has noone seen the DG app for iphone. keeps scores, saves scores. saves course's and all there pars if not all 3. multiple people. Can play as many holes as you want. It could be upgraded though, so if you get a chance to see that app, you could run with there idea.

http://www.sutibosoftware.com/SutiboSoftware/DiscGolf.html

I don't have a driod but this is the app I use for my iPhone for the past several months. As far as a simple scorekeeper it works great and also has a history of all games played. If you have an iPhone this is a must have!

Sell the program for $20 with a Nuke or Katana thrown in and you'll be a wealthy man... :)

Latest posts