• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ann Arbor, MI

JC AceHole

* Ace Member *
Hey guys,

I will be taking a trip to the ann arbor area on memorial day weekend. Wanted to get some course recommendations for when I am out there. I am willing to drive up to 45 min (if the course is worth it).

Also, I wanted to check with the locals to see if the Kensington Toboggan course will be open by then? or if I am SOL on that.

Thanks!

Usually only open within a week or so of Am Nats. Seeing as how they are the next weekend, it seems likely the baskets will be in, but you might have to know a local.

Black Locust (same park), Independence Lake (36 holes), and Hudson Mills (48) are all good options in the immediate area of Kensington.

Rolling Hills is fun. Ponds at Lakeshore (former 9 hole bolf course) if you like open golf. Probably too late in the season at that point to enjoy Willow (gets swampy with mosquitos).

when you say you might have to know a local, is that because of navigation issues? do they have signs put in at all? and what kind of tee pads are we talking? rubber mats?

Rubber mats for tees during the tourney, but probably natural the week before.

Know a local for navigation, yes. But also because sometimes it's open before it's officially open

Toboggan is now generally open only a few days before the actual event. Last year, the baskets did not go in until a couple days after Memorial Day.

Ejvogie is right on the mark. I have included a few links below. Indy, Hudson Mills, Kensington and Willow are not to be missed. Though, again I agree that Willow can be a challenge depending on how the season is going. Check Disc Golf Scene. DGS is heavily used in Michigan, especially this area.

Independence Lakes
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3096
Hudson Mills
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=447
Kensington
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3414
Willow
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=818

Cass, Gulch, Rolling Acres and Lakeshore are terrific courses and I would highly suggest them if given time.

Cass Benton
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=446
The Gulch
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6238
Lakeshore
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3216
Rolling Hills
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=460

Feel free to shot out a PM if you are looking for a guide. I would be glad to play a few rounds.

The greater Ann Arbor area has some fine courses, but be prepared to pay to play. I like Hudson Mills and Rolling Hills.

Ru4por's spot on with everything.

Re Toboggan: Park has really been restricting when the baskets go in & get pulled. Last year was particularly short because the course wasn't used the weekend after AmNats for the Great Lakes Open (which was held at Stony Creek for 2016).

As Memorial Day approaches, I suggest you check the schedules for both, the USADGC and the Discraft Great Lakes Open.

If DGLO Pros are slated to play Toboggan (as has happened in years past), the baskets will most likely be left in the ground the week between the two tourneys.

If DGLO isn't playing at Toboggan, I suspect the baskets will go in a few days before USADGC, and get pulled that Sunday after the event ends.

Be happy to join you and ru4por wherever.

Last edited:
All the previous suggestions are good ones. There is also a 9 hole course with three tees per hole that is a fun play...Bandemer Park.

The new layout at BRATS is a must play, contact Terry Calhoun on Facebook. They usually have an event going on for Memorial Day weekend as well.

Pass system break-down..

Washtenaw County Parks ($9/car/day)
Independence Lake
Rolling Hills

Metroparks ($5/car + $2 per person for DG)
Kensington
Hudson Mills
Willow (although no one is ever at the booth there)

The new layout at BRATS is a must play, contact Terry Calhoun on Facebook. They usually have an event going on for Memorial Day weekend as well.

Pass system break-down..

Washtenaw County Parks ($9/car/day)
Independence Lake
Rolling Hills

Metroparks ($5/car + $2 per person for DG)
Kensington
Hudson Mills
Willow (although no one is ever at the booth there)

I think the green's fee is now $3 per person though.

thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will be with a few buddies on a little mini DG road trip. looks like I have plenty of good options. We were planning on playing about 6 courses total so should be able to get most of them in.

I've driven the 100+ mile trip to Rolling Hills three times so far. There has never been anyone at the booth to take my money. I'd feel bad if it was in any other state.

:D

Are the park passes the ones that the sticker on your MI license plate? I live in the UP, but my mother-in-law lives in Ann Arbor. I'll likely be that direction in March or April and want to play some of the courses. This thread has been very helpful.

The pass needed to enter any park that has an entrance fee pretty much depends on the level of government the agency running the park is at. Each of these is a separate "park system," with their own fees, totally separate from the others.

Michigan State Parks:
The sticker on your tag (an extra $11 when you renew your Michigan auto registration) is strictly for the Michigan State Park Recreation Passport State Parks/State Recreation Areas... some of which have DG courses. Holly and Brighten Rec Area are the two local courses in this system. Once in the park, no add'l fee for DG.

Metro Parks:
A series of parks scattered across the 5 counties that comprises the metro Detroit area. Park Entry fees are $10/daily, $35 annual window sticker. Disc golf fees are an additional $3/daily, $55/annually. There are six DG courses within this park system, most of which are very good to excellent. Hudson Mills (2 courses), Stoney Creek (2 courses), Kensington (1 course), Willow (1 course).

Washtenaw County:
Park entry is: $10 daily for non-county residents, $45 Annual pass. No add'l fee for disc golf. There are 3 courses in 2 parks, all of which are very good to excellent: Independence Lake (2 courses), Rolling Hills (1 course).

If you're planning a trip to bag courses in this area, it makes sense to save your daily pass, and hit both Washtenaw county parks the same day. Same thing with the metro park pass.

There's also Addison Oaks (Oakland County Parks), which is the only DG course in the Oakland County park system.

Last edited:
Are the park passes the ones that the sticker on your MI license plate? I live in the UP, but my mother-in-law lives in Ann Arbor. I'll likely be that direction in March or April and want to play some of the courses. This thread has been very helpful.

My friend Bogey is a fountain of knowledge, not like the stinky fountain hills fountain, but like a really cool one. :hfive: He is right on mark. As stated below, feel free to PM either or both of us, we are always happy to tour guide if we are around.

The Lyon's Den is located on the same highway exits as kensington and has an awesome brewery across the street. There is an honor system greens fee of two dollars, I believe. It is much different than any other course in the area and far superior to the only other open and long type course, lakeshore, in my opinion. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet as a course to play in conjunction with kensington.:D

Lots of good info from the locals here so had to hand out a few THANKS for those chiming in. Ann Arbor is a great area for DG in Michigan as there are quite a few quality courses clustered there.

If looking to save some cash on Park entry fees I would suggest doing a Rolling Hills & Independence Lake day, pay for one park pass and it is good for both parks. Rolling (18 holes) and Indy (36 holes) make for a fun day and the travel time between them is roughly 20-30 minutes. Could spend an entire day at Hudson Mills with two 24 holes courses in the same park. Both have two sets of concrete pads as well giving you lots of options.

BRATS is a blast and the Calhouns are very welcoming to their private course. The new 27 hole layout is a lot of fun and chances are you will have the whole course to yourself just make sure to plan ahead and contact Terry/Ben for permission. Bandemer Park is another fun 9 hole course, it also has 3 sets of concrete pads (long/mid/short) that play like three completely different courses.

Should the need arise you also have some quality DG stores in CJ's Party Store by Hudson/Indy Lake and The Throw Shop (Calhouns) at Lakeshore. :thmbup:

Latest posts