• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kalamazoo Road Trip Suggestions

geno324

My friends and I are planning a trip to the Kalamazoo area in October, gonna throw a lotta plastic, soak in a hot tub, and make a pilgrimage to Bell's Brewing. We're coming from Pittsburgh and we've already made a couple of trips to the Ann Arbor area, so we've played (and enjoyed) Hudson Mills, Kensington, and Independence Lake. We'll play a couple of rounds on the way up, but looking for suggestions on courses to play in that area. We've scoped out the map but are always open to expert opinions.

I should say that we're all a bit older (40s and 50s) and while we're quite serious about our disc golf, we're not seriously good. But we play North Boundary here at home and if you saw the recent coverage of the tournament here you know that course is a physical brute, so we're not intimidated by long/hilly/woodsy courses. Well, not too intimidated, anyway. Thanks!

Well....first, Toboggan is open in October. If you have not played the latest iteration of this beast, it might be worth the stop. There are not many better times of the year to play it.

Cold Brook
Robert Morris
Vicksburg
Oshtemo
Leila Arboretum
Begg
Spring Valley
Victory
Meyers Broadway
The Mammoth

These the 3+ disc, 18 hole courses in the area. I think Leila, Robert Morris and Meyers are must plays. Cold Brook and Oshtemo should be on your list. Mammoth and Victory are terrific, more open, park style tracks.

I am not sure how you can go wrong with any of the course lineups in the little honeyhole of a disc golf area.

'

Thanks! I think Bobby Mo (that's what we call Robert Morris here in the 'Burgh) was on our list, along with a few others. We missed Toboggan when we were in that area the last two times...we might need to hit that up, maybe on the drive up, as playing it on Monday after four rounds on Sat/Sun might not be the best idea for our legs.

Thanks! I think Bobby Mo (that's what we call Robert Morris here in the 'Burgh) was on our list, along with a few others. We missed Toboggan when we were in that area the last two times...we might need to hit that up, maybe on the drive up, as playing it on Monday after four rounds on Sat/Sun might not be the best idea for our legs.

Around here it is just RoMo. :D
Cant go wrong with the list ru4por posted. Oshtemo and Cold Brook a bit more older, wooded style courses. Two courses at Meyer Broadway. Leila can be a monster. Victory might be a bit of a drive but nothing to bad. Great time of year to play Michigan courses and always a good time for Bell's. :thmbup:

Well....first, Toboggan is open in October. If you have not played the latest iteration of this beast, it might be worth the stop. There are not many better times of the year to play it.

Cold Brook
Robert Morris
Vicksburg
Oshtemo
Leila Arboretum
Begg
Spring Valley
Victory
Meyers Broadway
The Mammoth

These the 3+ disc, 18 hole courses in the area. I think Leila, Robert Morris and Meyers are must plays. Cold Brook and Oshtemo should be on your list. Mammoth and Victory are terrific, more open, park style tracks.

I am not sure how you can go wrong with any of the course lineups in the little honeyhole of a disc golf area.

'

How is Leila these days? I've heard in the past that it's been through periods of bad overgrowth and just general neglect. Been on my to do list for quite some time now. Would be happy to hear it's getting some TLC nowadays.

An overgrown Leila would be a nightmare.

Great post by ru4por pretty much sums it up. I slightly prefer Vicksburg over Robert Morris.

It's worth nothing Meyers has two courses on property, a huge plus.

I wouldn't worry about Leila being overgrown necessarily...I think it's just a hike and a bit of beatdown.

Great lists so far...The one thing I would be a little hesitant on is Cold Brook that time of year. If it happens to be rather rainy that course can be super slick. But if you bring appropriate foot-ware it'll be playable. If you're willing to drive a little during your stay I would also recommend Shore Acres and Lake Arvesta. Otters Oasis is a decent stop to shop for plastic FYI.

Knollwood is a giant waste of time...unless you're a course bagger or are into pitch and putt.

Latest posts