• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip to Pittsburgh, Moundsville, Columbus & Burlington

jasonc

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Hello DGCR!

I am looking for suggestions on an upcoming road trip from Chicago to the Pittsburgh area and back. So far...not planning to stop in Indiana. However, if you have a must-play suggestion I would be happy to hear about it, especially if it is a "new to me" course.

If you know of a better course (or even a private course not listed here on DGCR) somewhat close to the ones listed below, please point me in the right direction.

Here are a few that I am planning to hit along the way...
Deer Lakes
Moraine State Park
Knob Hill Park
Linbrook DGC
The Black Course
The Yellow Course
Play Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC
Idlewild

Thanks in advance! :thmbup:

Last edited:
I've been to every course on your list and here's how I would change it. Skip Hambrick and Yellow and add Lincoln Ridge (very near Idlewild) and Mt Airy (in Cincy).

I've been to every course on your list and here's how I would change it. Skip Hambrick and Yellow and add Lincoln Ridge (very near Idlewild) and Mt Airy (in Cincy).

Thank you. I saw Lincoln Ridge, but not sure if I can squeeze it into my schedule right before or after Idlewild. If I have to choose 1 of those 2, should I stick with Idlewild?

I would skip Hambrick also.

There's a definite yin and yang to Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge. If you like feeling like you've been beaten up, Idlewild's the way to go. Lincoln Ridge is essentially a modern day deuce course. It's fun, but it's not full of gimmes.

It's what makes them such a good pair. You can leave Idlewild cursing under your breath and head to Lincoln Ridge and forget all about it.

Looking forward to the beatdowns for sure!

Hope I can squeeze all of that in, but it's going to be difficult. Right now the plan is for 4 days & 3 nights to play as much golf as possible and get back home.

Hambrick is on the list because I have a friend (not a disc golfer) in Columbus, so I was looking for 1 course to play in that area before or after that visit. However, it looks like Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy are better options if the schedule works out.

I would look at Lobdell or Flat Rocks in the Columbus area before Hambrick. I haven't played any of them more than once, but I didn't think Hambrick came close to being as good as people had said it was when I played it. :shrug:

Great choices in PA. I learned to play at Knob Hill... lots of great memories there.

I'd also say skip Hambick, but I'd suggest Simsbury in Pickerington.
Its not too far off of 70 (15-20min) and is reminiscent of Knob Hill (nice elevation changes and some fun pin placement). http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3918

Sycamore Creek Church course is nearby and is a shorter length 18, too, if you want to squeeze in two. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4965

Also, you could always take 75 up outta Cincy and hit some other course on the way to 70 by passing Dayton. Ace Handyman is a good one. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4222

I agree that I would play Simsbury over Brent Hambrick. BH has a great mix of holes but I felt the open holes got way too repetitive. Nice to have 27 holes to play, but there are at least ten completely open holes. Simsbury may not have quite the variety in woodenness of holes but is more interesting in its totality than BH IMO. Not too difficult but still forces you to be on your game. If it works out in your schedule though, I'd also recommend playing Lincoln Ridge (haven't played Mt. Airy).

If you do go to the Black Course, your might as well play the Yellow Course too - only takes about a half hour to play. Fun ace runs.

Linbrook is awesome. I actually put it slightly ahead of Knob Hill, though I'm probably in the minority. Knob Hill is great though too. If you have any extra time Two Mile Run is a great 9 holes as well, but it might be out of your way a little bit.

Last edited:
Brent Hambrick is the closest course to me, but I'd prefer Lobdell or Simsbury if you are passing through.

Buck Creek in Springfield, just off I-70 is also a lot of fun (except for hole 18 which plays through the picnic area).

Depending on your timing or interests, I can give you my impressions of what to do on your Columbus to Cincinnati stretch, then assume you're headed up I-74 through Indy to Chicago.

If I could only play one course near Columbus, it'd be Simsbury. Brent Hambrick is a good course, but I actually think it's upstaged a little by the Hoover Westside course, which will be set up for a tourney 4th of July weekend, and would be worth competing at that Saturday if you're a tourney player. It might be available for a practice round on Friday, but you'd have to check the club website there.

Gotta experience Idlewild (actually on the Ky side near the Cincinnati airport), but Lincoln Ridge is more fun for most folks. if you're spending more than a day or so here, I'd try out Mt. Airy next, or Osage Grove, or Cedar Sentinels, etc. It all depends on your schedule and which side of town you're focusing on.

Of course, when planning any road trip, you want to check to make sure there aren't (or are, depending on your proclivities) tournaments booked for the courses you're likely to catch on weekends. :hfive:

Let me know when you plan on being near the Pittsburgh courses and if you want someone to show you around I would be glad to throw a round, assuming I am available. Linbrook is one of the most underrated 9 hole courses around and they've been trying to expand to a full 18.

I would look at Lobdell or Flat Rocks in the Columbus area before Hambrick.

I agree with this having played both only one time. Lobdell is northeast and Flat Rocks is just south of Columbus. Lobdell was a nice surprise having heard noting about it before playing it.

Hey everybody that has replied so far....thank you! :hfive:
I really appreciate the input and I can't wait to hit the road.

Here is the revised list as of today:
Day 1
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge

Day 2
Mt. Airy Forest
Still planning on a pit stop in Columbus, but probably not going to play any courses.
The Black Course
The Yellow Course

Day 3
Knob Hill Park
Deer Lakes
Linbrook

Day 4
Moraine State Park
Two Mile Run

Subject to change of course...;)

Do you have dates for the trip yet? I am always looking for a reason to make the drive up to Moraine! (or any of those, really)

I love the idea behind trips like this but I don't think my arm could handle it!

Do you have dates for the trip yet? I am always looking for a reason to make the drive up to Moraine! (or any of those, really)

I love the idea behind trips like this but I don't think my arm could handle it!

Ha! My arm probably can't handle it either, but I'm going to give it a shot.

We are planning to hit the road as early as possible on 5/16....so Moraine will be 5/18 or 5/19.

Hey everybody that has replied so far....thank you! :hfive:
I really appreciate the input and I can't wait to hit the road.

Here is the revised list as of today:
Day 1
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge

Day 2
Mt. Airy Forest
Still planning on a pit stop in Columbus, but probably not going to play any courses.
The Black Course
The Yellow Course

Day 3
Knob Hill Park
Deer Lakes
Linbrook

Day 4
Moraine State Park
Two Mile Run

Subject to change of course...;)

Just a warning that your day 2 might be pushing it for time depending on how long you stop in Columbus. Close to 3 hours from Columbus the Moundsville and many windy roads getting to the Black Course which is a long, grueling course. Just a heads up, hope you can make it work.

Just a warning that your day 2 might be pushing it for time depending on how long you stop in Columbus. Close to 3 hours from Columbus the Moundsville and many windy roads getting to the Black Course which is a long, grueling course. Just a heads up, hope you can make it work.

That's exactly what I was thinking...hoping for an early start at Mt. Airy. Also, not going to be too disappointed if we don't have time for the yellow course.

I'll chime in just to repeat what others have said. If you play the Black course you may as well enjoy the Yellow also as a warmup for the beat down you are about to endure.
If you are able to play in Columbus at all then Simsbury would be the one course to hit followed by Flat Rocks or Gordon Holten (but both of those are a pretty far trek out of the way). If your plans change and you end up with time for Simsbury along the way, hit me up. I live just a few miles away and would be glad to show you around if I'm available.
Either way, safe travels!

Bump for just 5 more days till I hit the road & spring fever is in full effect.:D:D Plan is still the same unless someone can change my mind...

Day 1
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge

Day 2
Mt. Airy Forest
The Black Course
The Yellow Course

Day 3
Knob Hill Park
Deer Lakes
Linbrook

Day 4
Moraine State Park
Two Mile Run