• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip to Pittsburgh, Moundsville, Columbus & Burlington

You've got a good list there. Hard to quibble. If anything, it's a shame that you won't be hitting Orange Crush/Seth Burton on your trip out, but it's not particularly close to the area you're playing in. Just keep those courses in mind for next time. Orange Crush is fantastic, and a different kind of beast than the other courses in the region.

As some others have said, Linbrook is a gem, as long as it's been mowed fairly recently. You might want to see if a local can chime in on its condition. Not sure if you listed the courses in the order you plan to hit them, but it makes sense to hit it before or after Knob Hill, either Linbrook -> Knob Hill -> Deer Lakes, or the reverse order. Ending with Linbrook would be tough, though, as it's a beast of a course, even at 9 holes.

Also, if you're considering a guide, get in touch with Troy. He's a good dude! Gracefully tolerated my terrible round as a doubles partner. :D

Enjoy the trip! Makes me look forward to the next time I'll be up there to play, hopefully in August.

PM me when you're close and I'll try and meet up with you. Actually heading to Cincy for Memorial Day weekend.

Don't forget about the other Worlds course, Slippery Rock, which is very close to Moraine State Park.

Thank you to everyone that provided input for this road trip! Also, a special thank you to tbird for meeting me at Mt. Airy for an early Sunday morning round despite the fact that I rolled an ankle and walked with a limp for the rest of the road trip.

Idlewild in the pouring rain to start the action was not an easy 24 hole round by any means. The rounds at Mt. Airy and Moraine were my favorite on this trip because they were the only 2 we finished without playing in the rain. While it would have been nice to play the other 4 courses in better weather, we still had a lot of fun at all of them. :thmbup:

The scenic views at The Black Course, Moraine and Deer Lakes were just magnificent. I wish we had something comparable around here, but we soaked it all in and took plenty of pics along the way. I'll post a few here after I upload everything from my phone.

After driving 1,400 miles over 4 days, I added 6 new courses as well as 3 new states to my courses played list...
Idlewild
Mt. Airy
The Black Course
Moraine State Park
Knob Hill
Deer Lakes

I am already looking forward to the next road trip! Thanks again DGCR peeps!!!:hfive:

Awesome! Bummed I couldn't make it out, especially since I played a ton of rounds just before and after your window!

Latest posts