• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan Trip

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have time to hit one, maybe two complexes/courses in Michigan two weeks from now, in the Lansing/Ann Arbor/Jackson area, depending on day of the week. I will be in town for two college trips at Michigan/State, traveling with family, so time is semi-limited, but I have enough time to go somewhere. What would you suggest?

Ideas:
Hudson Mills
Independence Lake
Kensington (Tobaggan stil open?)
Burchfield

Any others I should hit?
Best restaurants in the area?
Any other must see attractions?

Thanks!

Hudson Mills (2 courses/48 holes) and Independence Lake (36 holes) make a nice trip. They are only about 5 miles from one another on the same road. Toboggan will not longer be open.

I really like Burchfield and that also provides for plenty of holes in one shot.

You cannot go wrong with these courses, they are beautiful. I live near Detroit so I don't get up to play the Lansing courses a ton. But, Hudson Mills and Indy were in great shape as of now.

Given time restrictions, limiting driving and maximizing hole count is probably going to work in your favor.

Every word ru4por said is spot on.

Grand Woods is pretty good, but it really doesn't measure up to either course at Burchfield.

As a multi-course destination, I think Burchfield is the best of the three, with Hudson & Indy kind of being a toss up... but you can't lose with any of them. That said, Indy Lake's layout of 36 holes can be confusing for the uninitiated , and I don't believe they have scorecards that show where all the holes are located. Hudson Mills is pretty easy to navigate and ALWAYS has scorecards w/map... and I mean always.

Whitmore Lake Tavern about 20 min from Hudson Mills, and 10 min from Independence Lake. Typical pub fare plus a few interesting menu options, but everything I've ever had there has been pretty well-executed... plus they have a nice view of Whitmore Lake (which beats the hell out of looking at people).

Ann Arbor has a ton of good restarants, and although I don't enjoy beer, I've heard good things about Bill's Beer Garden if that's a priority for you.

Near Burchfield, I've eaten at Coach's Pub & Grill; your typical sports bar; nothing special... no worse or better than you'd expect.

If your planning on a Sat or Sun, PM me and I'll be happy to meet you for a couple of rounds.

Last edited:
My bad, Jacob... your parents probably won't appreciate my mentioning the Beer Garden. :eek:
FWIW Both are excellent schools, and I personally know tons of people who've had very rich and rewarding experiences at both.

Last edited:
Thanks Bogey,
Sadly, it's a during the week thing, so we can't play. My goal is to hit one of Hudson or Indy the day I'm in Ann Arbor, and then hit Burchfield on my way from MSU to Jackson.

Are there any disc stores in the area as well? Is there another course to hit?

I also have a drive from there to Chigo area, so is there another course on the way?

Without doubt, The Throw Shop has the best selection in town (pretty sure it's the best in the state) and is run by someone who knows his stuff (Innovadude on DGCR)... comes from a DG family and has played over 1000 courses... not terribly far from U of M, but admittedly might be inconvenient if you don't have time.

CJ's Party Store is pretty much smack in the middle of Indy Lake and Hudson Mills, and has very extensive selection as well.

IMO, the best course on the way to Chicago is Rogers Lakewood ... only about 15 miles or so out of your way.

Just be wary of traffic in on the way to Chicago...there were significant backups in Indiana on my way to KC last weekend.
Google Maps and Wayz are your friends... routed me off the highways and around a mess. :)

Without doubt, The Throw Shop has the best selection in town (pretty sure it's the best in the state) and is run by someone who knows his stuff (Innovadude on DGCR)... comes from a DG family and has played over 1000 courses... not terribly far from U of M, but admittedly might be inconvenient if you don't have time.

CJ's Party Store is pretty much smack in the middle of Indy Lake and Hudson Mills, and has very extensive selection as well.

IMO, the best course on the way to Chicago is Rogers Lakewood ... only about 15 miles or so out of your way.

Just be wary of traffic in on the way to Chicago...there were significant backups in Indiana on my way to KC last weekend.
Google Maps and Wayz are your friends... routed me off the highways and around a mess. :)

I wasn't sure if you were familiar with Chicago area, but I'm actually staying in Valpo, used to live there, so Rogers Lakewood is being played, also Lemon Lake.

Thanks for the traffic heads up. I'll be sure to look out for the busy Chicago traffic.

I haven't played it, but the guys who stayed at my place for Am Nats are from Chicago, and they think The Canyons at Dellwood Park is the best in the area.

I've played a few in Chicago, and my favorites were Highland and Eagle Ridge/Civic Center.

Good luck on picking the right school for you!

Thanks Bogey,
Sadly, it's a during the week thing, so we can't play. My goal is to hit one of Hudson or Indy the day I'm in Ann Arbor, and then hit Burchfield on my way from MSU to Jackson.

Are there any disc stores in the area as well? Is there another course to hit?

I also have a drive from there to Chigo area, so is there another course on the way?

Meyer Broadway in Three Rivers...on the way from Jackson to Chicago. 36 hole complex, Am Worlds there in 2008 and 2015.

I had a similar trip a few years ago but more time to play. Your top 2 choices were my favorites.
Also consider Kensington Black Locust, there are some fees but a must play as well.

Stout Irish Pub in Brighton was a great place for grub.

Last edited: