• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ann Arbor, MI

I've driven the 100+ mile trip to Rolling Hills three times so far. There has never been anyone at the booth to take my money. I'd feel bad if it was in any other state.

:D

There was nobody there when I was there, either.

I like Rolling Hills and Bandemer. Nice spins, even if they're not crazy difficult. The Ponds is just boring to me. Too much open.

Don't go to Water Works unless you like trashy. The course itself isn't half bad, but it's a junkie's dream. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a couple bum dens set up around the course.

So, if I'm in Ann Arbor and have time to play exactly one course, which one should I play?

My recommendation would be to leave yourself time for more than just one round.

Try reading reviews, but what I will say here is that Rolling Hills distinguishes itself from the others in that it features more elevation change on more of the holes than the others (particularly the back 9). Nothing ski hill like, but significant.
The other courses mentioned feature elevation in a more subtle, rolling terrain sort of way.

For the most part, the courses here are pretty woodsy and good at making you pay for bad tee shots.

So, if I'm in Ann Arbor and have time to play exactly one course, which one should I play?

Well the most bang for your buck would be all 48 holes at Hudson Mills (24-Original and 24-Monster). Technically two courses at one location but your significant other doesn't need to know that part. :D

Just picking one is tough not knowing what style of course you prefer to play. As long as you pick either Rolling Hills (18), Hudson Mills (48) or Independence Lake (now 36) you really can't go wrong.

- Rolling Hills (18 holes), has 18 regular pads with maybe 10? long pads. Elevation, lots of trees and a bit on the technical side but not extreme by any means.

- Indy Lake (now 36 holes), was 24 hole course with Long (black) and Mid (white) concrete pads for all 24 holes. (short/red tees are natural pads, not played often) Longer course and more open than Rolling, with a little less elevation. New 12 holes dont have concrete pads yet but very playable.

- Hudson Mills (2 @ 24 holes each), Long and Short pads for all 48 holes. Good mix of open holes and wooded holes especially on OG course. Some elevation changes.

Pheww.....only playing one would be a shame, but I get it. Bogey is, perhaps the most extensive and realistic area reviewer. I would encourage you to read his reviews (and others) on these courses to find the one that sound like you. We all look for different things in a course. I would throw my hat in the Hudson Mills ring. It is simply a world class facility. Great park system. Great courses, great maintenance..... But, really...you could not go wrong with Indy either. I am not disparaging Rolling Hills, but I would take advantage of the quantity of the other two, if I could only play "one".

You all are super helpful. I'd love to have time to hit up more than one, but we'll see. We're just popping down to Port Huron for some work interviews and then over to Ann Arbor for a day or two after that to visit my mother-in-law. I'd love to spend the whole time discing, but alas, the wife probably won't go for it. I may reach out via PM to join for a round closer to when I know when we'll be down there.

No snow (knock wood) currently in SE MI so you should be in good shape when you reach a course. Wednesday night there is a night golf league at Bandameer, the course not far from downtown Ann Arbor. Night golf shouldn't even count against your discing time clock but you'll have to let her know that probably.

I would agree with the others- if you have one course go to either Indy or Hudson mills.

Personally, I am partial to Indy and I think that the course there is the best in the southern area of the state and I would choose it over either Hudson Mills course especially with it being 36 holes now. Even at 24, I preferred the original 18 plus the a-f loop over either course at Hudson mills. With that said, you also can't go wrong with Hudson Mills as both courses are great there. Both Indy and Hudson are impeccably maintained, however there are some little touches at Indy like brooms on every hole that are just nice little touches.

Rolling hills is also one of the best short courses around, 6 more holes also got cut recently making it a 24 hole course. At least baskets, but possibly even pads should be in the new holes by Memorial day.

If i was from out of town, and had one day to play in the area,I would hit indy in the morning, play all 36, which takes a good chunk of time as Indy just simply plays long. I would then head south, stop at Aubrees for lunch and a beer, and then to Rolling Hills to finish off the day at the technical course. Playing solo I can burn through the shorts at Rolling in under an hour if I don't get held up, so you could loop it twice- one shorts and one longs in a few hours.

Also, while CJ's is great and I still get stuff there, if you need discs try to get to The Throw Shop.

Like I said, you really can't go wrong in the area. It's a wonderful problem to have. We are all spoiled in the area.