• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anny vs Understable for Noobie RHBH

Heatgain

I have some noobie confusion. Well, actually a lot.
Speaking as a RHBH;
I (think I) understand anhyzer as turning to the right.
I (think I) understand understable as a disc's tendency to turn to the right.
What's the difference twixt the two?
I know the anhyzer is the way I position the disc at the release, and understable is a tendency of a disc, but where/when in the flight does each term come into play?
Is it a matter of where in the flight the disc will go right? Are these terms mainly relevant to a relatively long throw? Is one of these terms only relevant to the fade at the end of a flight?
Ditto hyzer vs overstable.
Please explain so a noobie like me can understand.

Last edited:
Anhyzer (Anny) and Hyzer actually refer only to the angle put on the disc at the throw, not how it flies.

Understable is referring to the disc turning in its flight on its own, not really having anything to do with the angle applied to it by the hand.

Seems like you understand that much though, so I guess Im not sure what the question is.

Anhyzer (Anny) and Hyzer actually refer only to the angle put on the disc at the throw, not how it flies.

Understable is referring to the disc turning in its flight on its own, not really having anything to do with the angle applied to it by the hand.

Seems like you understand that much though, so I guess Im not sure what the question is.
Not sure what the question is either :)
I guess what I don't understand is
1) When/where in the flight does each term come into play? ie: If I position the disc to throw straight (tee shot), would an understable disc fade to the right at the end of the flight, or elsewhere during the flight?
2) If I release anhyzer (tee shot), would an overstable disc cancel out the anhyzer?
3) Where do the terms come into play on a shorter throw, like an approach?

I think it all boils down to not understanding where in the flight each term/tendency comes into play.
Unless I'm just totally confused, which is probable.

1. An understable disc will probably start to turn right almost as soon as you throw it, if you throw it flat. If you want it to turn right later in flight, you have to throw it with hyzer and allow the disc to flip up to flat then (hopefully) get that magical late turn.
2. Throwing an anhyzer with an overstable disc will give you a nice controlled flex shot. Learn this and love it.
3. The terms are used the same way, not sure what you are asking here.

1) When/where in the flight does each term come into play? ie: If I position the disc to throw straight (tee shot), would an understable disc fade to the right at the end of the flight, or elsewhere during the flight?
2) If I release anhyzer (tee shot), would an overstable disc cancel out the anhyzer?
3) Where do the terms come into play on a shorter throw, like an approach?

1) No. it will turn right, glide, then fade left
2) Yes, possibly. You do this for a short S flight
3) See #2. Because an 'understable' disc needs speed and snap to achieve it's turn.

Explain yourself! Yer tounge's flappin' but no noise is comin' outa yer big mouth!

1. An understable disc will probably start to turn right almost as soon as you throw it, if you throw it flat. If you want it to turn right later in flight, you have to throw it with hyzer and allow the disc to flip up to flat then (hopefully) get that magical late turn.
2. Throwing an anhyzer with an overstable disc will give you a nice controlled flex shot. Learn this and love it.
3. The terms are used the same way, not sure what you are asking here.

1) No. it will turn right, glide, then fade left
2) Yes, possibly. You do this for a short S flight
3) See #2. Because an 'understable' disc needs speed and snap to achieve it's turn.

I understand! I'll have to cut and paste and re-read it to remember it (hey, I'm old!), but I think I understand the answers.
Now I have to look up my discs, understable v overstable, and try to incorporate all this into my game. TeeRex, Leopard, Skeeter, Aviar P&A, (all DX), and a new Pro Boss on the way from eBay. Dunno why I succumbed to the urge to buy on that one.
Are all discs thrown by RHBH going to fade left at the end, or is that also dependent on the stability?

I understand! I'll have to cut and paste and re-read it to remember it (hey, I'm old!), but I think I understand the answers.
Now I have to look up my discs, understable v overstable, and try to incorporate all this into my game. TeeRex, Leopard, Skeeter, Aviar P&A, (all DX), and a new Pro Boss on the way from eBay. Dunno why I succumbed to the urge to buy on that one.
Are all discs thrown by RHBH going to fade left at the end, or is that also dependent on the stability?

Lookit here son, it depends on stability and how you throw it. What you are gonna end up doing when throwing that TeeRex and Boss is develop an orpheus load of oat and turn everything over. Learn to drive with your Aviar, Skeeter and Leopard.

They're all going to want to fade left. The question of "will they fade left" depends on how fast you throw them and at what angle. Basically, if you release it anny it has to rotate further before it fades. If you throw it faster, it will have to wait longer before it fades. If you throw it lower, it will hit the ground before it fades.

You have to play with all these variables (disc stability, release angle, throw speed, throw height) to try and get the disc to land close to the basket.

Lookit here son, it depends on stability and how you throw it. What you are gonna end up doing when throwing that TeeRex and Boss is develop an orpheus load of oat and turn everything over. Learn to drive with your Aviar, Skeeter and Leopard.

If turn everything over means it dives sharply to the left towards the end of the flight, that's exactly what happens when I throw the TeeRex AND the Leopard. That's why I usually reach for the Skeeter when I'm on the tee. I understand I don't have the snap yet, hey, I've only played approximately 8 times.
I won the Pro Boss on eBay before reading about it. Guess that one will sit in the bag unless maybe I could trade it for a Valk, a Roc, or a Buzzz? I dunno, need to learn a lot in this accursed game!
Trying to avoid "discing down" later.

turnover means it goes the opposite direction of the natural fade ... for you throwing RHBH, this means right.

I'd recommend finding some people locally to play with ... advice from an internet forum can only take you so far.

Definitely shelve that teerex and boss for a while. Stay 'disced down' later and you will thank all of us.

Also if you are new to disc sports I would recommend getting a 175g ultimate disc and play catch as often as possible. This is the best, cheapest, most effective training tool you can get if you are new to the game. Learn how to throw a lid 150 feet (not that far) and putters seem like drivers and drivers feel like you're cheating :)

If turn everything over means it dives sharply to the left towards the end of the flight, that's exactly what happens when I throw the TeeRex AND the Leopard. That's why I usually reach for the Skeeter when I'm on the tee. I understand I don't have the snap yet, hey, I've only played approximately 8 times.
I won the Pro Boss on eBay before reading about it. Guess that one will sit in the bag unless maybe I could trade it for a Valk, a Roc, or a Buzzz? I dunno, need to learn a lot in this accursed game!
Trying to avoid "discing down" later.

I say boy, you got it backwards. Turnover RHBH is to the right(against discs natural fade), and thats what you will end up doing with other discs if you learn to throw with the Teerex and Boss. Those discs are too fast for ya, and have too much fade for you, so you compensate for the fade and start throwing them with oat. A Valk is still a bit fast for you and overlaps the Leopard, maybe try to trade for a Teebird, Eagle, or a Roc.

Sometimes the best thing is to play a round or seven with one disc (roc-Buzzz) or one disc and a putter. That will teach you real quick what the disc is going to do and more importantly how you need to throw the disc to get it to fly the way you want to.

Another good thing to do is go to a field and practice. Just empty you whole bag.... throw them all flat and watch what they do. Then... walk over and throw them back flat. They should do the same thing. IF they DO then you have good form. If they do different things (calm day no wind) then you need to work on your release.

Now throw them all with the same hyzer release out and back. Follow with the anny out and back. Then comes forehand with the same releases. Then come rollers backhand and forehand. Then comes overhead shots and trick shots. You get the idea.

If you really want to gain big from this drill do it once a week or more for about a year. You will have so much accuracy and control you wont believe it. Plus.... you will know exactly what each of your discs will do at a certain angle and speed.

Ps a good rule of thumb is understable uphill and overstable down. That compensates for gravity and elevation.

Sometimes the best thing is to play a round or seven with one disc (roc-Buzzz) or one disc and a putter. That will teach you real quick what the disc is going to do and more importantly how you need to throw the disc to get it to fly the way you want to.

or skip the buzz and roc and just use a putter but only if its a somewhat short course to start otherwise you might end up a little frustrated

Actually, that's how I'm playing the course. My Skeeter and the Aviar. Once in a while I'll get stupid and try the Leopard from the tee, but I'm immediately sorry.

Another good thing to do is go to a field and practice. Just empty you whole bag.... throw them all flat and watch what they do. Then... walk over and throw them back flat. They should do the same thing. IF they DO then you have good form. If they do different things (calm day no wind) then you need to work on your release.
Now throw them all with the same hyzer release out and back. Follow with the anny out and back. Then comes forehand with the same releases. Then come rollers backhand and forehand. Then comes overhead shots and trick shots. You get the idea.
That's exactly what I'm going to (try) and do!

If you really want to gain big from this drill do it once a week or more for about a year. You will have so much accuracy and control you wont believe it. Plus.... you will know exactly what each of your discs will do at a certain angle and speed.
Dunno about this one. I'm 60 years old. Dunno if I have a year. :)

Most will describe the flight of a disc as a hyzer or anhyzer as well. I like to specify, the release is an anhyzer release, and the throw is an anhyzer. It helps with confusion to break it into two parts. You can throw a hyzer flip to get an anhyzer (left to right shot, or turnover)

To put it to video:

At 0:26, you see him release on a hyzer angle, but it goes right. That is a turnover. It's not what I would call a true anhyzer, but most will call it an anny because it's a left to right shot. It's a turnover anhyzer.

4:02 is where Mark starts talking about what most would call the true anhyzer.
At 4:23 is the true anhyzer. Watch the body motion and release angle. The release is on an anhyzer, and the flight is an anhyzer.

that is also called a hyzer flip.....love em.

Hyzer flip doesn't describe anything about the flight. A hyzer flip can end left, end flat, or end right. Just depends on the stability of the disc and release angle/power.

Latest posts