• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Anode, should I switch to soft?

thiswonisloaded

Par Member
When I first bought the anode it stuck constantly and I've never had any problems with it. But as of the past 2 weeks or so it just seems to not grip the chains anymore and bounces out. I will hit dead center and it won't stay it. I don't know if its the disc or just me getting unlucky with my putts.

So basically:
Has anyone has any problems like this with the Anode after a few months of use?
Also, how does the soft Anode compare to the medium?
Does is tend to grip the chains better?
Are the flight paths different with throwing it for approach or drives?
and is it worth the switch?

I have a hard ion that likes to bounce out, even from day 1. It was great for driving but I switched back to my Wizards because of the spits and bounce outs. I got to putt with both a soft ion and soft anode and they both grip the chains better for me then the harder plastic. I am a Wizard guy but I say go soft and keep the other one around for approaching.

To me the soft and harder plastics don't differ in flight all that much, the harder plastic could possibly be slightly more stable but not by much. I like the way the harder plastic feels for ripping power gripped drives and longer approach shots.

I don't know if it will make much of a difference. Personally MVP discs don't catch chains that well even with the outer rim being grippier. I've gone to a SSS Voodoo now and maybe it's that I hit the center more but I think it catches better.

Anode is still one of the best driving/approach putters there is; and will have a place in my bag until I find something better.

If you search, there are at least two threads with all the info you could want about this. I think you've answered your own question, though...it used to do well for you but suddenly doesn't, so unless you somehow changed the qualities of the overmold material, then it's just a change in your putting. Overmold is the same on both discs. Personally I don't think there's a huge difference between either one for putting purposes (and only a little when used as a driver), and I think it's somewhat of a misnomer that soft plastic "grips" chains.

This discussion might help you a little, too: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17218&p=261875

If you search, there are at least two threads with all the info you could want about this. I think you've answered your own question, though...it used to do well for you but suddenly doesn't, so unless you somehow changed the qualities of the overmold material, then it's just a change in your putting. Overmold is the same on both discs. Personally I don't think there's a huge difference between either one for putting purposes (and only a little when used as a driver), and I think it's somewhat of a misnomer that soft plastic "grips" chains.

This discussion might help you a little, too: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17218&p=261875
that was a really good read. i think i may have read other really informative posts by him before while lurking DGR.

I figured there would be a thread with the answers but I have yet to figure out the search on this haha :\ I never seem to find threads even with the simplest keywords

I figured there would be a thread with the answers but I have yet to figure out the search on this haha :\ I never seem to find threads even with the simplest keywords

Key is using Advanced Search and searching only thread titles for terms.

Key is using Advanced Search and searching only thread titles for terms.

Yeah, advanced search helps, or filtering by thread title (but somehow that doesn't seem to work on the first attempt for me). This site is very searchable but it does leave a lot to be desired. Great tip someone shared is to use Google with your search criteria and specify site:www.dgcoursereview.com . It'll pop up lots of things that are hard to find within this site, especially two- and three-letter strings.

that was a really good read. i think i may have read other really informative posts by him before while lurking DGR.

Who...me, or Blake? I haven't logged in there or posted in a very very long time, but I still browse occasionally. It's a great site...so much excellent information and instruction in the articles. They really put a lot of work into it.

Who...me, or Blake? I haven't logged in there or posted in a very very long time, but I still browse occasionally. It's a great site...so much excellent information and instruction in the articles. They really put a lot of work into it.
Blake. dude is seriously smart.

I putt / approach with a soft Anode & have used a friend's medium Anode to feel the difference, which for putting considerations, was hardly significant / noticeable to me. As others have posted, only noticeable difference b/w the two plastics is really in approach & driving and, even in this consideration, we're talking about minor stability differences ...

However, one point worth mentioning:

Soft Anodes tend to run heavier (172-175) than Medium Anodes so if you typically feel more comfortable with a heavy putter (reason why I putt Soft Anodes over Medium) than purchasing a Soft may be worth consideration.

Hope this helps!

(and don't get a Gateway! Their club needs no more fanboys anytime soon debating over differences in plastic from run to run over hundreds of threads ...)

(Oh no ... I can almost feel the trolling coming already. Learn to laugh guys :D)

I find that the Soft Anode sticks better than a medium. Its especially noticeable when I am hitting the chains to the right of the center pole (right handed thrower).

I don't know if you noticed this or not but the search option isn't always that helpful. For instance, when i search for "ion" or "mvp ion" I get no matches when I'm looking for it in thread titles. Besides, why search when you can ask and get a response from another member in a matter of minutes?

Medium anodes become soft anodes in the heat FYI. Soft anodes get super floppy. I like both, but putt regular anodes in the warm weather, softs get putting duty below 60 degrees.

I use my MVP putters for mostly tee box and up shots. I bought Med Anode and Ion for this reason. Even when I putt, I like a putter that is firmer not floppy.
I'm very surprised to say that I prefer Soft MVP putters for almost all duties. To me a putter needs firm yet have a little grip on the flight plate for your thumb. The med MVP is just too slick on the plate.
For anyone that cares, this goes for Vibram putters too. Their frim is just too slick, the med Vibram I like more.

Medium anodes become soft anodes in the heat FYI. Soft anodes get super floppy. I like both, but putt regular anodes in the warm weather, softs get putting duty below 60 degrees.

This is 100% true. The soft Anodes for me are jus too sticky on the fingers. He never I putt with them they stick to my hand and get pulled right or high, or both.