• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another course threatened - Pendleton King Park

sjberry2017

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
https://www.change.org/p/comissione...-development/psf/promote_or_share?share=false

I don't quite follow the whole story of who's threatening to sell what, but bottom line is there is a dispute between the group that controls Pendleton King Park and the City of Augusta, GA, and so one of the folks from the group wants to bulldoze the entire park and build a housing development.

As best as I can tell....the park is not owned by the city, but the estate of a man who willed it to be used as a park in perpetuity. It has been leased to the city for $1 per year, with a private foundation doing much of the work in the park.

Apparently the trustees of the estate have found a way around "in perpetuity". They offered to sell the property to the city, which declined. So they sold it to a developer. The foundation is trying to fight it, to keep it a park.

The city's happy that not only are they not buying a park, but they'll get tax revenue.

For the citizens, it's a lot more than a disc golf course that they're losing.

There are a lot more details, most of which I don't know, but that's the summary from several thousand facebook posts that have crossed my screen over the past 2 days.

Link doesn't go to the petition.

Here's a news article that I found...

http://wjbf.com/2017/11/15/people-who-frequent-pendleton-king-park-hate-to-see-it-go/

whoops, I pulled it off the site after I signed it.

Here's the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/comissione...danger-of-being-sold-as-a-housing-development

hmmm,

people having shelter > dg

?

Like David said, it's the entire park being sold, not just a disc golf course. A park which was left in and stipulated by a will that it should remain a park, and is a bird sanctuary as well as a course. There is also plenty of land in Augusta available for housing developments, so I don't see the issue with wanting a park to stay a park for residents than be razed to build homes which could easily be built elsewhere

This is standard. One of the biggest public parks in Brooklyn was developed, into the new Yankee Stadium. Rangers Stadium was built on the small ranches and farms of folks who didn't want to sell, eminent domain. At some point, we need to tell the rich folks that not every bit of land in this country is for sale so they can make $.

This is standard. One of the biggest public parks in Brooklyn was developed, into the new Yankee Stadium. Rangers Stadium was built on the small ranches and farms of folks who didn't want to sell, eminent domain. At some point, we need to tell the rich folks that not every bit of land in this country is for sale so they can make $.

Unfortunately, since the SCOTUS decided that money=free speech in Citizens United vs. FEC and that corporations are people, the rich folks voices are much louder than ours.

You mean the Bronx? The new stadium is across the street from the old one, with the old space now a public park / ball fields.

Latest posts