• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Another post about what kind of putter should I get

SmurfItchy

Hey Everyone, I am looking at getting a new putter. I know that this question is going to get a wide range of answers and more than likely been asked before, and I hate being that guy that asked what kind of disc should I get, because it's all preference. So let me explain a little about me and how I play and hopefully if you don't mind helping me out I can narrow down my options.

I have played since 2011 but in the past year really starting to get serious about playing. I have bought a basket and plan on practicing in my open unfinished basement this winter and break in a couple putters that I plan to buy in the next month or two. Right now I am using my first putter a DX Aviad and its pretty beat up, and with it being a DX I feel like in the next year it's going to go bad. I got a magnet a couple years ago and really didn't like it; I like a more firm putter rather than floppy. When I putt I usually aim for the top right corner of the chains with my right foot behind my disc and my left foot at a 45 degree angle, this is because my disc will drop and go a little left. When I putt I don't really lob it in there, its more of a direct line with speed, but not an all out throw. I have recently picked up a DX Wedge but now that I'm playing more I would like to get a couple nice putters that I can take my time and break in over the winter. Something that will, once broken in, it will stay broken in and be my go to putter for a long time.
I don't have a brand preference, and I'm not sure what kind of plastic is best for a long term use putter. I'm looking for one to use mainly inside the circle.

Thank you guys for reading this and all your help!

Do you prefer beaded or non-beaded? I recently switched to s-line P1 maniacs for a similar reason. I wanted something that would hold the sweet spot for a while. So far I'm pretty darn happy with both the mold, and plastic on these. Very straight, not to soft or firm.

Legacy just released the Protege Prowler (its like a big bead aviar, wizard, judge, Ion, etc type disc) and they used their new protege blend that is BY FAR the most durable base plastic i have ever used, they will beat in extremely slow and be very resistant to slicing, denting, etc. These will last much longer than most baseline putters and the plastic feels great on the stiff side and even when damp it has good enough grip to be confident in putting, i'm really liking it. The new Protege blend is only available in the Prowler and Ghost molds at the moment, but given a few weeks im sure they will have the new protege blend in more of their putter molds.

If your looking for base plastic that will continue to fly the same for the longest period of time possible to increase consistency then protege is my recommendation.

Last edited:
If you're looking for something similar to an Aviar but in a premium plastic, you might want to check out the MVP Ion. It has a small bead but a similar feel otherwise. You can get them in in Proton, Neutron, and Plasma plastics.

Hey Everyone, I am looking at getting a new putter. I know that this question is going to get a wide range of answers and more than likely been asked before, and I hate being that guy that asked what kind of disc should I get, because it's all preference. So let me explain a little about me and how I play and hopefully if you don't mind helping me out I can narrow down my options.

I have played since 2011 but in the past year really starting to get serious about playing. I have bought a basket and plan on practicing in my open unfinished basement this winter and break in a couple putters that I plan to buy in the next month or two. Right now I am using my first putter a DX Aviad and its pretty beat up, and with it being a DX I feel like in the next year it's going to go bad. I got a magnet a couple years ago and really didn't like it; I like a more firm putter rather than floppy. When I putt I usually aim for the top right corner of the chains with my right foot behind my disc and my left foot at a 45 degree angle, this is because my disc will drop and go a little left. When I putt I don't really lob it in there, its more of a direct line with speed, but not an all out throw. I have recently picked up a DX Wedge but now that I'm playing more I would like to get a couple nice putters that I can take my time and break in over the winter. Something that will, once broken in, it will stay broken in and be my go to putter for a long time.
I don't have a brand preference, and I'm not sure what kind of plastic is best for a long term use putter. I'm looking for one to use mainly inside the circle.

Thank you guys for reading this and all your help!

Why not just throw in another Dx Aviar, or get an XT Aviar?

I apologize I am not familiar with beaded or non-beaded, so I'm not sure what one I have right now and what one I would like.

Putters, for me, always comes down to personal preference. What works for someone else, might not be a good fit for you.

Personally, I stay away from premium plastic putters. I am a spin putter, and I rely on keeping a good grip on the putter. Premium tend to be slick when wet. Also, I prefer a stiff putter; I can get a consistent clean release with stiffer discs. Premium plastic discs tend to not be as stiff as I like my putters. And I have these small-babylike hands. So I prefer a shallower putter. And I prefer a bead. Not sure if it started as a feel thing, but I do prefer the bead. And I've become adjusted to the stable tendencies that a beaded putter has. With that said...

I putt with the Yeti. Stiff, grippy, beaded, and slightly concave giving that shallow putter feel. "Feels" perfect. For me. I've putted with the same one for about a year. There's no noticeable wear that affects the flight of the disc.

Basically, find something that "Feels" right, and stick to it. Hope this helps.

do you have a shop near you? if you do the only way to know is to go there and fondle all the putters there. if it feels good in the hand then grab a few. putters are the most personal discs that will be in your bag. it is really personal preference.

do you have a shop near you? if you do the only way to know is to go there and fondle all the putters there. if it feels good in the hand then grab a few. putters are the most personal discs that will be in your bag. it is really personal preference.

and they all work really... I have anodes/ions in my practice basket mostly but there are some summits, ridges, bowflys, some odd wizard like mold, scale, aviar, ringer, upshot...

Every single one of them goes in the basket when I throw a good putt. Its CRAZY! :p

Some baseline blends suck but it doesn't really matter if you are just using it as a putting putter. Driving/upshot I prefer a premium blend and even premium plastics work very well for putting in the circle I just prefer a used/seasoned premium plastic over brand new.

I suggest checking out gateway for some baseline putter molds and MVP/Axiom for premium goodies. cant go wrong with any of the models really if they feel good in the hand.

What they said...

Except, the Envy is the best putter in the world, so just get a couple of regular N or P Envies and have fun.

What they said...

Except, the Envy is the best putter in the world, so just get a couple of regular N or P Envies and have fun.

well......sort of ;) and it does pair up well with an electron atom!

(ion is actually the best putter in the world though... )

Thanks everyone for your help, I was planning on going to my local shop and asking them what their thoughts were. But I wanted to get an idea first. But Yah thanks for the help everyone.

Andrew

MVP makes some "plasma" plastic ions and anodes that are some of the best looking premium discs on the market. Check them out if your shop has some!

2015-04-16_23-09-31_856.jpg

NanoPlasmaPremierSparkleBlue.jpg

Colorshift, sparkles, swirly, pearly whatevaaaa! :D

If you liked the DX Aviar, I would just pick up a fresh one in the same weight to replace the old one that is wearing in. Multiple DX Aviars at various stages of wear can really serve you well.

There are hundreds of options and seeing as you're now getting serious abut it, keep in mind the putter you think you like, you might totally hate a month later. Part of the learning curve and many of us have been through it. It's going to take some time, trial and error to find what works best. Pay attention to what you like and don't like, and why.

My own particular learning has taught me; my putters have to be flat to slightly puddle topped, the rim has to be thicker than 1.0cm, the depth no deeper than 1.5 and it has to have a bead or else a sharper edge can get caught in the crease of my finger. I don't like soft putters, but I don't like them KC Pro hard either and they have to be a bit tacky but not gummy.

I've been putting with Yeti's and driving with Judges for the last few years but before that, I went through more putters than any other type of disc trying to find what worked for my style.

Also, if you find a putter you like, use it for putting only and get a seond for practice. If it both drives and putts well for you, then buy another or three for driving.

Latest posts