• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Another putter

T-dub

Currently using a DX Aviar P&A and the KC version. I like the P&A well enough but got the KC version for longer shots. I like its flight profile but - forgive me here as I'm unsure of the terminology - but if I understand correctly, it's too "domey" for me. My grip never feels quite right, particularly on "touch" putts where I'm trying to take something off my throw. I end up either getting a lot of fly-bys, or OAT if I try to dial it back.

So, I'm interested in trying out a couple of other putters. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Anode but thought I'd ask about others.

Also, I like wooded courses so something that will stand up to hitting trees and won't go skipping into the next county would be a plus.

TIA.

Try a Clozer from Legacy. It has a shallower profile like the P&A, but flies more like a KC.

I think you mean it feels too deep? Maybe a more shallow/low profile putter is what your looking for?

Some of the best all around putters for a multitude of shots but have a different feel to that of a deeper/big bead putter : Latitude Pure, Vibram Ridge, Axiom Envy, Discraft Zone

You cant go wrong with one of those discs for up shots and all have their own benefits but are very forgiving to form and easy to dial in.

You're likely to get some great advice from the folks on this board, but putters are a very personal preference. In general, I'd go for the putter that has the best feel and gets consistent results with clean releases. I've been loyal to Gateway putters for a few years now. I carry both Wizards and Magics for putt and approach duties...

While many people cite Gateway's various plastics as being inconsistent, I view the options as a postive thing. If you're playing in the woods, their Evolution line is what you'll want as it's extremely durable. Some of the soft blends have great grip which may remedy the issues you're having with finesse shots.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

I'm partial to Wizards and I've been playing around with a Soft Voodoo that I'm really starting to like.

I never did feel comfortable with the DX Aviar, so i switched to a Soft Focus. I'd also recommend the R-Pro Dart. The disc can be laser straight when thrown correctly.

It'd help if I could check them out first instead of buying online. Haven't found a shop in the Cincinnati area that has much selection beyond Innova.

The Mt Airy Proshop carries almost everybody.

:doh:

Forgot they had one of those, haven't made it to that course yet but it's definitely on the list for whenever this rain stops. Thanks for the reminder!

My current method for considering new putters is to play a game of catch with them ranging from 50-250' away from the other player.

If you like the results from playing catch, try hitting chains inside of 50'. These usually end up being my best chain bangers.

In my opinion shallow putters are easy to get a clean release from on a drive/upshot, but they can be too fast in many situations. For me Axiom Envy is a good compromise. I can't speak to its tree bouncing propensities as there are only 28 trees in a 20 mile radius of me.

An alternative is to choose a putter based on flight and throw it a gazillion times. Like Quest said, playing catch is a great way to figure a putter out.

Also, a fan grip can solve a lot of putter grip issues.

In my opinion shallow putters are easy to get a clean release from on a drive/upshot, but they can be too fast in many situations. For me Axiom Envy is a good compromise. I can't speak to its tree bouncing propensities as there are only 28 trees in a 20 mile radius of me.

An alternative is to choose a putter based on flight and throw it a gazillion times. Like Quest said, playing catch is a great way to figure a putter out.

Also, a fan grip can solve a lot of putter grip issues.

Thanks, I will make a point of practicing that.

Latest posts