• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Fast putters and slow mids

Two (3?) months is all. I can throw the Bounty fine, which also isn't a comet. I tried hard to like the comet.

You've thrown the Origin? I have it in NEO and EXO soft. You didn't think it was considerably longer than a comet? Still get steep hyzer flips that glide right? Works on low power like a comet? I'm talking shot shapes, not feel, nostalgia, or who does it better.

I'm only a couple years into the game, so consider that too.

Only my most beat up X Comets will flip all the way over from a steep hyzer. My 2018 MJ Comet (which is quite beat in and I throw it a ton) will still push left on a big hyzer angle. It's not like I'm lacking power, I push comets out to 300' routinely.

Discs like the fuse, M4, and origin are all too fast and understable to be really comparable to a comet, which is slower but more neutral than any of those. I've never thrown a bounty, but the evidence was also in that category. There's nothing wrong with any of them - everyone has their own throwing styles that mesh better with certain molds.

Last edited:
Two (3?) months is all. I can throw the Bounty fine, which also isn't a comet. I tried hard to like the comet.

You've thrown the Origin? I have it in NEO and EXO soft. You didn't think it was considerably longer than a comet? Still get steep hyzer flips that glide right? Works on low power like a comet? I'm talking shot shapes, not feel, nostalgia, or who does it better.

I'm only a couple years into the game, so consider that too.

I don't want a flight considerably longer than a Comet out of my midranges. I prefer that my midranges flies medium range. I have fairway drivers for shots longer than midrange

I throw Pure/Luna for putter drives, and mostly Comets for mids. I'm pretty comfortable pushing those putters out to 220-230', or maybe a bit longer for the Luna. I'm usually only getting Comets out to 240-250' or so and that's with some height. Consequently, while I love the control of the Comet, they don't see that much action.

I think the issue is that Pure/Luna is fast for a putter, while Comet is slow for a mid.

Anyone ever ponder matching putter speed with mid speed and whether this is something that makes sense to think about? It seems like the gap between putters and mids is smaller than the gap between other disc classes.

I recently picked up one of the new MD3's and noticed it flies pretty far for a mid, and particularly
far for an overstable mid. I wonder if I should give some other faster mids a try. It would be hard to give up Comets but I'd like to throw mids more often.

Large diameter Mids have greater distance potential if throwing max weight (180g) and correct speed/force. Nose angle is more important for Mids so if you throw a Mid and Putter slightly nose up the distance difference will be lessened.

As others have mentioned, the flight lines/ground action with Mids are different to Putters. I don't throw Mids on every course but there are certain holes where Putters take much more effort/accuracy to get into a good position. Putters need more airspace and don't ground skip as much. Mids can hit low lines and skip.

Maybe the profile & stability of the MD3 is giving you more confidence to throw it harder than the Comet (more like a driver with nose down)?

Prove it.

I think you probably are talking feel. You wouldn't be the first to "try to like the Comet". Unless you have the power to throw a Buzzz 400+ feet like Gibson or Dickerson, the Comet goes as far as any neutral mid when thrown with solid form and not overpowered.

What did you think about the Origin?

When I tried the comet, I wasn't going to football fields for practice throws, so idk how far I threw it. I can throw putters 260' and mids (Trust, MD3, Buzzz) 280+' generally. Origin can get over 300' on a steep hyzer, hard throw (for me). That shot will flip up and keep turning right all the way to the ground. Low power shots are very straight. The comet will probably turn more on low power shots. I wouldn't buy another comet, but if I ever run across someone who throws them, I'll give it a few tosses.

I play the reverse game of a lot of folks who've chimed into this thread. I do most of my upshots with mids. I play with a mold very similar to the comet (Daredevil's Caribou and Pteranodon). Tossing these at half power, I get great control on both forehand and backhand and pretty much anything beyond putting range up to 150' I'll gently fling one of these. The only time I'm actually throwing a putter is when I'm trying to land about 180-200 feet on a hyzer line. I'll tweak my mids from 60-180' and then again from 200-250'. Except in big winds, my approach game has been my biggest improvement this year.

I have one mid in my bag, a Fuse. I now carry it just for throwing sweeping anhyzer approaches, but before I developed a forehand I used it for all approaches from softly left to hard right.

I carry 2 fast putt and approach discs: Spike and Harp. I feel comfortable going straight from those to a handful of 7 speed molds that vary greatly in stability. The 7 speeds are increasingly becoming my go to discs from both the tee and fairway.

I previously suffered from this when throwing my warden as my main throwing putter. Now I use the Rhyno due to its ability to travel so slow through the air and land on target and hit the brakes every time. I am partial to mids that I can bomb like a buzzz, buzzz ss, and meteor, but I do have the gator3 in the bag for those really windy situations or when I need a heck of a fade on the end.

Also, I think based on the range you spoke of when throwing the putter compared to throwing the mids, there may be a form issue going on seeing as a lot of mids have plenty of glide and are faster, making distance much easier IMO. just a thought

Latest posts