• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anti-oat

flightpath

Par Member
I know OAT will make a disc act more understable. I throw pretty far (410, River, 440, S PD) but I don't really turn much of anything over. Am I doing something because people always ask me why I am not turning the disc over. What can a thrower do to make a disc act more stable at the same distance? It would also be nice to add another skill to help shape an anhyzer.

Means one of 2 things.

1 - You're getting a ton of spin on the disc, which makes it fly more stable <this is the likely one>
2 - You're rolling your wrist under, which would cause the disc to fly more overstable. <unlikely given the d you're getting out of them>

You don't throw pretty far, you throw pretty damn far. The first explanation that comes to mind is that you do indeed get way more spin than normal on the disc. A good thing to have.

Would the high spin rate make it hard to flip say a pro aviar pna or Z Comet?
I would like to think that my inability to do so is related to god like accidental spin technique rather than disc selection and my noodley appendage.
Hell I can't flip my XD. I can throw it 250 or so but it WILL NOT FLIP.

Only 250'? I can only get my PDs to around 380' but can get my putters to 300'. Weird.

Spin makes everything more stable. With god like spin and great power you can actually get to a point where an understable disc flies dead straight for a long while (300+ feet) and THEN begins to turn.

Well I AM a noob. But maybe it's more. I try to be realistic/conservative and not claim to be dg jesus around here cause I want to get better. I have gotten an ion out to 300 but it was a fluke. The only thing I really measure is drives and that's consistently about 350 straight line with orcs, ~400 slight anny with champ katanas, 450 once or twice with a valk on a miracle( for me anyway) high line. My nose angle issues are pretty severe on high lines tho so that's my big limiting factor.

I do think that I should be able to flip that xd though. Is it the mold?
I just picked up a meteor that will not flip from hyzer but will hold an anny and do a really nice slow turn from flat. I talked to a guy today that told me that the Meteor really won't flatten from a hyzer til it's beat a bit due to the "speed" of it's turn. That's what I'm asking about the XD.

i honestly doubt it's spin-related. if it was in the realm of hyper-spin the PD distance would be closer to 490'+.

this is a long-shot without having much input at all about your throwing but my gut says it's probably it:
your timing and power are good but you're too far away from your body with the disc as you enter the power zone.

i know this is just a flat out guess, but there's a limbo area where you aren't so far away that you prevent snap nor nose up everything, but you're not close enough to really lever the disc into a lot of nose down... basically, you're throwing "not nose down enough" but still able to power it a respectable distance.

i could be wrong but if i am right, it probably means the disc is in the realm of 4-8" away from your body when it passes the right edge of your body?

the only other culprit i can think of that would yield distances anywhere near what you are listing is a two-parter. the combination of:
1. slight wrist roll under
2. shoulder OAT over

now that i think about it, this is usually what happens when people are throwing decently far but are doing what i described above.

Blake I don't know how you knew it, but your answer seems to be right. I do pull through the power zone about 5 inches away from by chest. I tried pulling it in tighter (hit my chest a few times and kept having hyzer angle issues) There was plenty of pace on the disc and I got some massive skips. Any suggestions?

If the disc isn't too overstable for you then you are probably rexing the shot. I had the same problem when doing right pec drills. You might be concentrating so hard on keeping tight you aren't letting the forearm swing happen properly. Think more along the lines of punching out towards the target.

That's my experience.

sweet, i was right :p

anything that can happen with a disc i've probably seen happen with at least 10 students and probably experimented with myself as well. it's possible to throw ~430-450' with that position but requires superb timing and probably can only be done with really understable plastic. i had a period where i threw that way and was able to get 425'+ with stuff like beat in pro orcs and z flashes... starting them slightly nose up but using OAT to get the nose down and to flatten them from a hyzer. it's not an ideal way to throw...

Mrscoopa is most likely correct on what happened with you when you pulled tight.

i can elaborate on it a bit more:

when you kept it tight it's likely that you brought your elbow "around" your body once the disc reached the power zone rather than letting your elbow getting out in front of you and extending. the result was a few things: you never got a lot of power on the throw, your weight was probably back, and you likely had a wrist roll under (due to the weight back).

trying a few throws starting with the disc almost touching your stomach should probably help that a bit. your initial motion should be forwards and not a rotational motion. that will probably help get things on track.

MrScoopa said:
If the disc isn't too overstable for you then you are probably rexing the shot. I had the same problem when doing right pec drills. You might be concentrating so hard on keeping tight you aren't letting the forearm swing happen properly. Think more along the lines of punching out towards the target.

That's my experience.

I have never heard the term "rexing" before but it so accurately describes what often happens to me when I concentrate on keeping the disc close to my body. When it happens I must have my elbow really low at the hit, preventing my elbow from getting sufficiently far in front of my body.

Blake_T said:
there's a limbo area where you aren't so far away that you prevent snap nor nose up everything, but you're not close enough to really lever the disc into a lot of nose down... basically, you're throwing "not nose down enough" but still able to power it a respectable distance.

i could be wrong but if i am right, it probably means the disc is in the realm of 4-8" away from your body when it passes the right edge of your body?

This is where I am at right now and it is really obnoxious. I know what I'm doing wrong but my body just doesn't want to cooperate in fixing it.

On the bright side, my form has been very clean.

Latest posts