• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any chance of getting Paul and Ricky to do this?

NegaSnapples

Par Member
Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson reportedly in negotiations for $10M match

I feel like this could be a good opportunity to help create some more media buzz/eyes on the sport. Obviously they aren't going to duke it out for $10 million dollars... but maybe they would be willing to play for some sort of relatively substantial amount?

Champ vs. Champ is definitely something that I would tune in to watch :thmbup:

I think it would have to be a significant chunk of change to make it compelling both to watch and for them to participate. So there would need to be a sponsor or six willing to pony up the dough that makes it worthwhile to both of them. Good luck with that.

Just for perspective on a $10M winner-take-all match for two pro ball golfers...the biggest single payout for a tournament winner in PGA Tour history was the US Open at $2.16 million (Masters this year is #2 at $1.98M). So this event is going to pay the winner 5X what he could win at any given tournament. Also, Tiger vs Phil has some cache in part because it is so rare that both players are in contention at a tournament and it comes down to the two of them head-to-head. People want to see it because we don't see it that often and certainly haven't seen it for years. It's been the Ricky vs Paul show at half the tournaments every year for the last 3-4 years at least. Ho-hum.

These guys have played skins matches for a couple hundred bucks per hole. It doesnt take that much money.

See, e.g., Visionquest skins on youtube.

This was my thought.

You just need to find a weekend and a location that's between tour stops. Or even better, plan it for a fun course right before the tour event there, so they'll already be planning to be there and practiced up on that course.

And video production crew(s) will already be there anyway.

Wouldn't really take THAT MUCH money to entice the players. Even at $50/skin over 18 holes, you still stand to make more than teaching lessons or signing discs or dropping in to clean out a local C-tier. (Or, same $900 but winner takes all, if you're not into the skins format.)

That's somewhat "big money" by disc golf fundraising standards, but not unattainable.

Heck, I'd kick in some cash to watch Paul vs. Ricky, especially if there was a course marshal walking along with the power to call foot faults. :D

Last edited:
In the article, it makes it seem like Tiger and Phil are putting up $5 million of their own money (granted they will make that and then some most likely with sponsorship and T.V. deals, but still...). Do you think these guys (Paul and Ricky) would be willing to put up their own money against one another? Maybe 1k - 5k each? That could stand to make it a more compelling watch if it wasn't just raised money and the players had zero skin in the game.

Do you think these guys (Paul and Ricky) would be willing to put up their own money against one another? Maybe 1k - 5k each? That could stand to make it a more compelling watch if it wasn't just raised money and the players had zero skin in the game.

Interesting question.

I think you would have a better shot at convincing them to play if it's mostly added cash. The zero-net-sum average gain just isn't very enticing.

When they play big tournaments, they can pretty well count on doubling or tripling their money...even with sub-standard play (by their standards). And they have a reasonable chance to increase their entrance costs tenfold.

It's comparatively less lucrative to play for eachothers' money.
The upside is smaller: best case scenario you double your money.
The downside is bigger: if you ain't first, yer last...no sneaking into last cash and breaking even.

Also not sure how much scratch these guys have on hand throughout the season. They both make enough yearly, just in tourney winnings, that they could afford to gamble $1k, or even $5k...but I'm not sure if they'd WANT to put up that kind of cash. And I'm not sure that they could scrape it all together without a little planning in advance.

But aside from the financial side, there might be other motivating factors that would make them willing to put their own fliff on the line. Spirit of competition, building your brand, etc.

Anyway, this is all just speculative. Somebody get P McB on this thread. Oh yeah, and get NOTpaulmcbeth also...I have a sneaking suspicion about that guy ;)

These 2 guys are the top two battling it out on the lead cards like every other week.

Watch 2014 Worlds playoff...

These 2 guys are the top two battling it out on the lead cards like every other week.

Watch 2014 Worlds playoff...

Yeah... but win or lose in those situations they're still getting a decent payout.

The proposed "winner-take-all" format from the article would be a very different sort of pressure and watching experience I think.

Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson reportedly in negotiations for $10M match

I feel like this could be a good opportunity to help create some more media buzz/eyes on the sport. Obviously they aren't going to duke it out for $10 million dollars... but maybe they would be willing to play for some sort of relatively substantial amount?

Champ vs. Champ is definitely something that I would tune in to watch :thmbup:

I'm sure if you will write the check they will show up

Tiger is interesting from a comeback perspective.

Phil is a cheater. I'd never watch him play.

But both were picked for the nostalgia aspect.

The closest we could have would be a match with Climo vs. Schultz or something.

^ Not sure i'd agree with Rick being uninteresting, running 60' putts with hazards on the green and draining them. In short: Raptor Legs. I like it.

Personality... think he's come a long way from years passed.

And they are both washed up.... so no.

Latest posts