• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Any new floaters?

schnelle

Eagle Member
Ive been out of the loop last 4 yrs. Getting back into it. Trying to get some discs for my boys. What floats? Dragons, rpro hydras i know of.

What weight of blizzards float?

Are there any new ones lately that float?

Thanks.

Not since I had those tacos in Mexico...

On a more serious note, some Lightning float at lighter weights, the Wahoo, I've heard Bliz under 140 but have not tested that.

I'm not a proponent of floating discs though. I'd rather throw a beat or cheap version of a disc I actually use.

But that's just me.

dragons actually fly really well when you throw them as a habit. I think a lot of people don't like floating discs because they only use them for emergencies.....

The Innova Bulldog, found at the Proshop, is supposed to be a floater.

Also, regular Blizzard and other discs have to be very low weight, like the 130s, to float, and even then it's not guaranteed.

Dragons are still a great choice for the kids if you're having to play around water. Fairly easy to get, lightweight, and what kid wouldn't want to throw a Dragon! I'm gonna second looking into Lighting discs for floating putters.

Or do what I did and move to Southern California and never have to worry about the kids throwing near water.

Oh, for kids? Def find some lightning stuff that is light. They are cheap, look coolish and float pretty well.

Last I checked (years ago), Innova touted Blizzard plastic under 139 grams as floating. I once threw one that didn't touch ground for 950 feet.

Picked it up on the third sandbar downriver. ;)

Lightning #2 Driver Floats as does Rubber Putter under a certian weight I think under 165 grams. only 169+ gram #2 Drivers only float for 15-20 minutes.

the Hydra Floats too if a kid likes the feel of the Magnet/similar discs they will like a Hydra. Really easy to find disc. Can be a regular putter too if the Magnet/like discs are too tall but they like that grove in the disc. Get the R-Pro and they will always be 175 grams. Another disc set that floats is the Aquaflight series, from Sun King discs and yes all are PDGA certified.

Last edited:
The Innova Bulldog, found at the Proshop, is supposed to be a floater.

Also, regular Blizzard and other discs have to be very low weight, like the 130s, to float, and even then it's not guaranteed.

Only at lightest weight for Bulldog you can get I am told will it float.

Lightning #2 Driver Floats as does Rubber Putter under a certian weight I think under 165 grams. only 169+ gram #2 Drivers only float for 15-20 minutes.

the Hydra Floats too if a kid likes the feel of the Magnet/similar discs they will like a Hydra. Really easy to find disc. Can be a regular putter too if the Magnet/like discs are too tall but they like that grove in the disc. Get the R-Pro and they will always be 175 grams. Another disc set that floats is the Aquaflight series, from Sun King discs and yes all are PDGA certified.

Ive got a #2 driver and rubber putter and they are both 175g and both float, the #2 flies decently, not like most floating discs where they are super flippy and lightweight - this one is great over water holes, feels kinda funky but flies like a valk/teebird type disc, not shabby.

Ive got a #2 driver and rubber putter and they are both 175g and both float, the #2 flies decently, not like most floating discs where they are super flippy and lightweight - this one is great over water holes, feels kinda funky but flies like a valk/teebird type disc, not shabby.

That might have been before the DuPont was added to the Lighting plastic. My 170 gram #2 driver floated for only 20-30 minutes. I think my Rubber putter my mom now has could float in the old plastic if under 170 grams or was it under 165 grams. I did like the #2 driver, was like a XL in flight when it broke in a tad, why I use XL now. The old Lighting plastic was not durable reason I stopped using the #2 driver; now with DuPont plastic is as durable as about R-Pro plastic.