• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana or Northwest Florida players?

Kometsfan2007

Hey everybody. Just seeing if there were any Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Northwest Florida players on here. And if so, where do you like to play the most around the area?

I'm in Lafayette, LA so I may be able to help. In the range you're talking about there are quite a few good courses.
Pensacola area - Blue Angels (x3)
Fairhope - Municipal
Mobile - USA, Municipal, Chickasabogue, Cottage Hill
Gautier - Shepard State Park
Biloxi - Hiller (haven't been there yet, heard good things though)
Hattiesburg - Paul B. Johnson, Tatum (haven't been there yet, on my list. maybe next weekend)
haven't played really anything on the coast between there and NOLA
New Orleans - City Park
Mandeville - Pelican (brand new in a huge park)
Baton Rouge area - Highland Road, Greenwood, Flanacher
Lafayette - Heymann, PA Davis, Acadiana (x2)

Hope this helps.

Lake Charles, LA. I play The Bob Rodgers Memorial DGC at Sam Houston Jones State Park the most, followed by the Lafayette and Baton Rouge courses mentioned above, as well as Copperhead in Orange-Vidor, TX.

Hey everybody. Just seeing if there were any Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Northwest Florida players on here. And if so, where do you like to play the most around the area?

Kometsfan, just outta curiosity, when you read reviews for courses in that region, which ones seem interesting to you?

I am going to be down in the Gulf Shores for spring break next week and am thinking about bringing my discs with me to hit up a few courses. Do they have weekly doubles at Blue Angels a night of the week?

Hit up Emerald Coast DG club RippinDs... I know they do dubs on sunday I THINK at 11am but not positive, and then they do some stuff during the week also.

And if anyone hits up the Destin area, we have a cool lil course in Ft Walton, plus one in Freeport in a sports complex, and some nice new ones in the Panama City area. Next weekend (March 8th) will be a city challenge at Compass Lake aka The Bear.

Weeman gave a pretty comprehensive list, so I'll just highlight my favorites.

Blue Angels Park - Best single DG destination I've played in the area. Three awesome, extremely well-groomed and varied courses. Encompasses all kinds of terrain and skill levels. Oaks even has some elevation, which is rare in these parts. If you could only visit one destination in the Gulf area, this is the one.

Jackson, MS - I've only played two courses here (Center City, which I really enjoyed, and Chautauqua, which is very solid if a tad overrated IMHO), but Jackson boasts a solid 6+ well-rated courses that, from what I've gathered, seem to be well deserved.

Flanacher - In Baton Rouge. Kind of an *ss-kicker, but if you don't mind a challenge it's really fun.

Mobile - U of SA is super solid, Cottage Hill is a fun wooded course, and Langan Park is a great place to bomb shots that offers a surprising amount of variation and enjoyment for how open it is.

Lafayette - Three quality courses within a five minute drive of each other, plus a few others in the area. Pa Davis is my favorite, but there's a lot of variety here.

As an aside, I was a bit disappointed with Hiller in Biloxi.

I've reviewed most of these courses I mentioned in case you want some more detail. Happy golfing!

Weeman listed most of the best, but one he left off is Ashe Lake in Brooklyn MS, not far from Paul B. Johnson. So far its the best course I've played in MS [though I haven't played any north of Hattiesburg].

North of H-burg in Quitman is the Archusa State Park. They have an 18 hole course that would be worth the trip if you are heading this way. The front nine is in the trees and the back nine opens up for some longer holes around the lake there.

A little further north where I live in Meridian we have the Highland Park course. We only have nine holes but it is a fun layout and the park crews do a good job keeping it clean and cut.

Both courses are listed on the directory.

a good website for DG tourney info in the area is www.sndg.org (I'm in North Alabama)

There is a short course in Orange Beach, and Blue Angel has 2 courses in Pensacola

Hit up Emerald Coast DG club RippinDs... I know they do dubs on sunday I THINK at 11am but not positive, and then they do some stuff during the week also.

And if anyone hits up the Destin area, we have a cool lil course in Ft Walton, plus one in Freeport in a sports complex, and some nice new ones in the Panama City area. Next weekend (March 8th) will be a city challenge at Compass Lake aka The Bear.

I'll have to look into a little further, but it looks like the Fairhope course has doubles on sunday at noon so I may do that. I am looking to get in a handful of courses during my stay. I think I am going to do the 3 at Blue Angel and then the one at Fairhope for dubs.

Rippin:

There a regular group of us that meets at 9:00AM Sunday morning in Fairhope, if you want to get in a practice round before Doubles.

There will be a tournement in Hattiesburg this weekend. I am going down Friday to camp out, cook, and have a few cold ones.

Rippin:

There a regular group of us that meets at 9:00AM Sunday morning in Fairhope, if you want to get in a practice round before Doubles.

I might take you up on that, I wouldn't mind getting a feel for the course before doubles.

Latest posts