• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

any squall fans out there

money 21

* Ace Member *
any squall fans out there. I have been using one for my stable md lately and man this thing flies. just struggleing with the shorter mid shots.

The squall is faster and longer than your average mid. If you are struggling with the shorter mid shots there are discs that would compliment your squall well. Slower mids like the Spider that are not as long as the buzzz/roc may be a good place to look.

The squall is very popular around these parts. Quite a few of our top players are carrying one or two in their bag for straight to understable mid shots. They usually carry a roc, wasp or gremlin as a compliment to them.

And now we have regular production sparkle Squalls...The are very flat and feel like they would fly like a faster Buzzz...Probably very Stalkeresque.

discspeed said:
And now we have regular production sparkle Squalls...The are very flat and feel like they would fly like a faster Buzzz...Probably very Stalkeresque.

now that you say that, the only squall I've seen looked like a beadless stalker. It also reminds me of a Storm.

I had the same problem, especially since I only feel comfortable throwing my rubber putters out to about 50 feet. My solution has been to get a 150 class Squall and beat it in... I'm not that happy with DGA's low grade plastic (one throw and a 150 tsunami had a 1 inch chunk of plastic taken out of it) But the squall seems to have a blunt enough rim to be able to handle some abuse.

Just to warn you, you will loose the HSS before you lose the LSS. But once you get it worked in far enough, I think you'll be happy with the results.

i have gone witha champ coyote to complent it right now (because i had one). Throwing it with the same grip I hold my putters with it makes a nice 150-200 ft touch disc.

more like a storm or a glide with the meteor flight path (long meteor)

I recently picked up a 173 and 177 Sparkle Line Squall and boy do I really dig these discs, been a chain seeker lately. I dont have any technical jargon as to why. These just fly great for me and I absolutely love the way they sit in my grip. I have found my SP Squall to be extremely versatile. I can literally throw them on just about any line with a good deal of success and relative ease (at least when newish, not yet sure how they will be when beat). The Squall just meshed very well with my game right from the first throw.

If you haven't tried one and are in the market for a fast mid/slow fairway disc definitely give the Squall a shot. I recommend the SP Line just because its purty and I actually like the fact that its a bit more stable than the ProLine. I can definitely see value in having the SP and Proline in the bag though as I think they would compliment each other nicely (or what I did was just get a lighter version of the one I like). There is actually a noticeable difference between my 173 and 177 in terms of feel and the 173 is just a tick less stable.

DGA Squall is a great midrange, IMO. Replaced my Buzzz...faster, longer, more controllable, more predictable finish, better in the wind. Pro-Line plastic is superb. Grip is the most comfortable midrange grip I've found, along with maybe the Gateway Element.

FHthrower said:
DAG Squall is a great midrange, IMO. Replaced my Buzzz...faster, longer, more controllable, more predictable finish, better in the wind. Pro-Line plastic is superb. Grip is the most comfortable midrange grip I've found, along with maybe the Gateway Element.

Indeed my good man :p I really like the SP and Proline plastics, may be some of the best stuff available. I recently obtained a Proline to go with my SP Line and damn what a nice combo. My SP Squall is nice and stable to overstable where my Proline is stable to slightly understable yet both are Very controllable.

I hate to say it but since I have had these squall in the bag the past couple weeks I have not missed my Buzzz at all. So far I have found the Squall to be similar to the Buzzz yet more versatile. I do still carry a Glow Buzzz in my bag for my Overstable mid but even thats getting thrown less.

The one thing that sucks about me liking the Squall so much are all the sweet Buzzz in my closet collecting dust. 8)

booter said:
dibs on buzzz's the moment u decide to give em up :)

LOL no sir. I learned my lesson the hard way. Last time I "replaced" the Buzzz and traded away my stock I almost immediately regretted it. I am keeping my stock o' buzzz this time around. I still have love for the Buzzz Im just letting them hibernate for a bit

I traded my Buzzz for a Hawk. Hawk was the Buzzz predecessor. If you throw a Squall, no need for a Buzzz, IMO. Squall is one helluva disc...feels better and flies better. Hawk is a little slower and more understable than both.

I would definitely like to know if anyone has any production sparkle squalls that they've thrown a lot. I'm also wondering if dome is an indicator of stability, as it has been in the past. I have been told that the more dome a squall has, the less HSS they tend to be. This also true of sparkle squalls?

Ryan C said:
I would definitely like to know if anyone has any production sparkle squalls that they've thrown a lot. I'm also wondering if dome is an indicator of stability, as it has been in the past. I have been told that the more dome a squall has, the less HSS they tend to be. This also true of sparkle squalls?

Well I havent spent tons of time with my production SP Squalls, however they have been seeing a lot of air time the past couple of weeks. I can not comment on the dome as I have not had any domey squalls, all of my squalls (5 SP and 2 Proline) have a high shoulder but then flatten out on top. My heavy SP Squalls (176-177) are all stable to almost overstable and my lighter squalls (172-173) seem to be just stable with one being almost understable. For me the squall is just so damn versitile, I can power up or down on the disc and throw it on just about any line I want. The longer its in the bag the more I seem to be throwing it. Still not missing my Buzzzes which is actually say A Lot.

Anywho I say give one a shot. If you are looking for one to be like a new Z Buzzz get a 177 SP Line Squall and give it some air time. I think you will like the results and if not well then you can throw it my way. 8)