• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not use fairway drivers?

DG companies, as well as players, have varying ideas of what constitutes disc ratings/categories. For example, Eagles were once considered and can still be found stamped as "ultra long distance drivers" , even though many deem them fairways today.

I assume Mike that you are hyzerflipping the relay at a fairly steep angle?

Now you have me wondering which 6 speed goes BOOM like that AIM? I have a serious case of Relay chub, but I am 99% certain it won't go that distance even with much better form than I possess.

Relay is a good one for sure. My friends longest throw ever on flat ground in slight tailwind was with a leopard at around 500'.

I was just making the point slow discs go far so the high speeds really come down more to wind and skips etc vs distance.

There are a lot of 7/6/5 speed molds capable of 400' distances hell even some putters if you have that Simon form lol.

Having not bagged any high speed discs up until recent years (since n00b days of groove and boss halo katana etc) i just feel like you dont need a ton of max D drivers to play well.

I have 2 true DD's in my bag right now a Tern and a Vanish. 0 mids and the rest 6-9 speeds. The high speed stuff has it's place, but for me is FAR more situational. Granted I do not have a huge arm, but I am getting there.

Yeah US faster stuff makes sense to get some easy D. I like them even when playing longer courses and able to throw with a little less juice to keep arm feeling good. Star tern and vanish make throwing longer lines too easy stop cheating!! :p

Myself: I only have two mids, and don't throw them often, so that's the "small" part of my bag...

Yup, Mids are my least used category now. I used to throw them a ton and bag a bunch, but lately it just seems like everything is within reach of a putter, or far enough for a Leopard.

Didn't throw either of my mids once in GMO last weekend. Leopard all day though.

I do think the "control driver" versus "fairway" versus "distance" distinction is just semantics. Call it whatever you want, and then use it how you want.

Come to think of it, my Teebird is 100% distance driver, but it's a "compact distance driver." At least that's what I tell my higher speed stuff when the Teebird goes farther.

I've been relying a lot on speed 7's lately -- especially Maul, Leopard3 and Banshee. The Maul is like some kind of magical disc that sails 300'+ with very little effort and is easy to throw dead straight. It's been stealing drives from a lot of my higher speed discs since it's so accurate and not much shorter than anything else I throw. I've cycled in Teebirds, Eagles and Seers too. Discs in this class are pretty damn versatile imo.

The first "category" of discs I'd drop (if I had to) is my control drivers. I currently bag two C-PDs (one new, one seasoned). I've been experimenting with Thunderbirds lately to see if they'll replace my PDs. I can consistently throw a Teebird 400' (RHBH). My Destroyers (consistently) only add 50-75' distance to my drives. I use my PDs in that weird tweeter range between my Teebirds & Destroyers. I'll throw my PDs in a headwind for shots I'd normally go with a Teebird. My PDs are also nice when powered down if I need more fade than a Teebird (especially with a low ceiling). I could get by without my PDs. I couldn't get by without my putters, mids, fairways & distance drivers. With all that said I definitely can see where the OP is coming from. If I could throw 50-100 further with consistency, I probably could drop either my fairway drivers or my control drivers. As of right now, I like having both in my bag. Especially on windy days & when powering down shots.

I really like Alex Geisingers approach to drivers, since he narrowed down his bag to fit all his discs in a cart. He took out his control drivers in favor of just fairway & distance drivers.

I have been playing with a practice set-up recently. It is 5 ghosts and 5 outlaws and 5 hunters. On my very open home courses I have been shooting as well as ever. I would miss my patriots, rivals, firebirds, and kite on more technical courses and I do miss them sometimes for just one or two shots per round, but on the home course I am finding they are not needed.

I love throwing my Rivals and Patriots way too much to not have them in the bag. Fairways are great.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95459

a thread to remember when talking about speeds and distance capability

Interesting. I've found this to be true. I'm about 150' or so difference between P2 to destroyer/G*PD2.

When I was throwing a lot in field practice several years ago, I used to get 480' on a TB and about 550' on a Boss. (Usable golf d, not max d.)

Thanks for that. I'll for sure keep that in mind.

I have a friend who doesn't bag fairway drivers but for almost exactly the opposite reason of the OP. He has incredible touch with a FH Destroyer and uses that for almost all fairway driver distances.

I personally bag a Leopard, teebird, and banshee, and throw them all both BH & FH.

I like wide rimmed drivers for backhand and skips and that's it really. I like narrow rimmed drivers for FH, OH, rollers, and anything I've got to power down.

In the heavy wooded courses of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, fairway drivers are a must for back hand.

I carry all speeds from a 2 to a 10, and a 13 for utility shots. Most of them are neutral in stability, with a couple utility discs mixed in. I find it easier to control where the disc fades at with different speed discs, allowing me to have a more consistent throw.

My fairways, at the moment, are: Relay, Mantis, Crave, River, Volt x 2. I have seen the Motion listed as both a fairway and a distance driver...so whatever it is.

Latest posts