• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone get made fun of at the office?

mohmandm

Par Member
The general population, if they even know about disc golf, thinks it is a hippie/stoner sport. If you work in an office, what kind of flak do you get from coworkers when they find out you are an avid player.

The general population, if they even know about disc golf, thinks it is a hippie/stoner sport. If you work in an office, what kind of flak do you get from coworkers when they find out you are an avid player.

Most of they guys I work with are truck drivers, and most of them think its cool, and a few of them have actually come with me for a round. If you can, show them some of the videos on Youtube that show cases disc golf.

The guys I work with are cool. I am trying to do a "team building" activity where we all go out to a park that is 5 minutes away. I actually got a group of 5 of us to go on a lunch break one time. We were all 22-25 so most of them have heard of it.

Most people I work with are older than me and are completely unaware of what disc golf is, so they're also completely unaware of any negative stereotypes associated with it.

My parents make fun of me all the time. They grew up as hippies and find it funny that I partake in many hippie activities despite not being anything close to one. The funny thing is my aunt's bf has son's that play pro around San Diego so now I go with him. I have a younger buddy at work that goes out discing with me, but the others just give us odd looks and think it's crazy. oh well.

I get alot of jokes but I brought it on myself. Most don't know what it is so they don't know about things associated with it. I find it gives credability to the sport if you explian proper tecnique to "frisbees not a sport" haters.

My family also breeds rabbits, so people are thrilled when I talk about disc golf...that is more normal!

My mini that has "prime discs" on it gets a lot of questions. I think I make it worse when I make holes out of cubicles and start tossing the mini.

I usually don't talk much at work about my personal life. We have two new drivers at work, and they have no idea what I do in my spare time and I am not going to tell them unless they ask.

I am like the other person said, I keep work and off time seprate. When I leave work, work is over till I get back the next day.

Good advice: Keep work at work, and keep disc golf at home. I know some you want to promote the sport at work, but sometimes is better to stay quiet about it.

Same thing goes for dateing at work. You don't fish from your own pond.

i think the frisbee is to blame. Whether people think its a hippie sport or not , they think of frisbee's and dont realize how far we can throw. I still use the word frisbee golf to people that dont know the sport, cause when i say DG they usually just pretend they know what im talking about then dont ask what it is.

The problem with DG as far as getting people interested to play or too get then to watch it on t.v. is without seeing it in person you just dont understand the whole concept and why would want to even try it. I know alot of you would like to get rid of the stoner aspect but in alot of ways they keep the sport growing cause they arent as close minded and are open to trying new things to do while stoned . So without the stoners and little kids and their willingness to go play without seeing it i dont think wed be this far along.

Made fun of???

Most of the losers that would make fun of you are home watching trash like American Idol, Survivor and those lame dancing shows. So just laugh it off, and realize that you don't play so others will like or respect you, you play because you want to. In short, F 'em!!

50/50 I actually have made good players out of three guys from my job, but the others still call it Fag Golf. They of course make jokes about us all out playing with our discs over the weekend and such. I tell them they only fear what they don't understand. If they got out and played like some of the ones that now love it, they'd turn around, but until then Yes....I get the jokes constantly.

There's a group of four of us trying the game out. I'm definitely the most hard core, but no one has really mocked me about it. Pointing out how much cheaper it is than ball golf is helpful.

I cant ever get any of my black friends to go play , they always say "we dont do dat" like they will lose their race card if they are seen at the course. Then my mexican friends always lie and either say they play there all the time and im the best when i tell them where i play or they look at my discs and ask me about them,and say they wanna go sometime then they never do.

I really hate the assumption that this is a white sport like its hockey( in the old days) or polo and that people on the course are gonna look at you funny or judge you . And if your homeboys or family are ignorant and wanna call you sellout or whatever, screw em . If people wanna stay in their box their social group puts them in or be close minded id rather not play dg with them anyway. But if someone gets over their mis conceptions and comes out to play im gonna ask them join in and let then know there welcome here.

Happens all the time.
I don't worry about it.
I was even able to sell some fundraiser discs to my fellow workers.

Not so much the co-workers, but the "ball golfers". They mock it or kinda chuckle. But, I've had a couple come over to the house for picnics or get togethers, and they become instantly interested when they see the baskets, the discs, the legitimacy of the sport. People mock what they don't understand.

Not so much the co-workers, but the "ball golfers". They mock it or kinda chuckle. But, I've had a couple come over to the house for picnics or get togethers, and they become instantly interested when they see the baskets, the discs, the legitimacy of the sport. People mock what they don't understand.

"When's your tee time? Mine's whenever I feel like it."

Playing with the practice basket usually gets them interested in playing for real cause they think its gonna be easy, then when they get to the course they realize theres some learned skill and talent invovled here and they either gte hooked or they dont but they learn its not a joke and these dudes are for real.