• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone have any follow through drills?

whitechocolate

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Back at it after 6 months injury hiatus.

One of the things I noticed is for some reason I am no longer following through. I stop at best with both my feet side by side perpendicular to the basket. I have consciously tried to break the habit and still stop where I feel like I am checking my swing.

Does anyone have any follow through drills they do or conscious do to force them self to follow through? Maybe I am just having trouble rotating my new fatness around from being on IR around.

Try to throw harder? If you swing hard enough, you won't be able to help yourself from following through.

What was your injury?

Edit: I had a little bit of a problem with this after I busted my hand on a tree trunk on a fairway drive. It's probably just a mental block that will work itself out in time.

I practice my form on the entire run-up, throwing motion and follow through. What I do for follow through is at the completion of the entire motion I make sure that I point my non-throwing hand at the target, that is if throwing level or anny. If practicing form for throwing hyzer I make sure that I point the elbow of my non-throwing arm at the target. Of course follow through is not the only focus, it's all the other elements of throwing too. X-step and reachback are others. I practice the entire motion and isolate the areas that I need work on.

I say boy, that's bad foot pivot which will likely lead to ankle or knee issues. Make sure you get your head over your right right knee(weight forward) and accelerate through the hit. Keep your arm loose until it gets to your chest. Either stay on the balls of your feet, or let your plant foot fall to the heel and let it pivot, but don't try to pivot flat footed. Also kick your rear leg up at the hit so that it pushes you forward.

It may be easier to practice proper followthrough from a standstill. If your technique is not up to par with an x-step then you are just gonna exacerbate your pivot/followthrough issues until you learn to do it from the hit backwards adding steps later.

Sidewinder 22 makes good points about the footwork. All momentum should carry all the way through the throw. The rear leg pushes through and even kicks off or up and steps or hops forward and weight is transfered to it. That's when the hand or elbow is pointing at the target. That would be a full follow through that carries you off the tee pad. It is treacherous to step off of some tee pads so it is not always possible to accomplish.

One thing I heard that might help is to concentrate on ending your throw with your off arm pointing in the direction of your throw. You have to follow though to accomplish that.

Never really tried to apply this to disc golf but in high school when I was trowing discus on track we would do drills with towels. Do the throwing motion with a towel in your hand and make sure the towel goes all the way around and doesn't stop at your release point. Might help.

Try to throw harder? If you swing hard enough, you won't be able to help yourself from following through.

What was your injury?

Edit: I had a little bit of a problem with this after I busted my hand on a tree trunk on a fairway drive. It's probably just a mental block that will work itself out in time.

Injury in summary: Damaged both wrists and throwing shoulder. Those healed quickly. My tendon in my upper forearm was trashed for about 6 months. Basically a hybird of carpal tunnel and tennis elbow (for easiest explanation). Except when I close my fist, it felt like the fridge fell on my arm.

vonDrehle quote: Never really tried to apply this to disc golf but in high school when I was trowing discus on track we would do drills with towels. Do the throwing motion with a towel in your hand and make sure the towel goes all the way around and doesn't stop at your release point. Might help.

Gonna try this in the house a couple times. See if it helps. Sounds like it worth trying.

Played a couple more times, hoping it's a weather condition/lack of confidence issue. It's muddy/icy still. So being safer. Not throwing at full power. Also don't want to re-aggravate my arm. My timing is off all together (snap, release, follow through). Just gonna keep plucking away at it. It's getting better, really slowly, but better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts