• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Anyone using Vibram Five Fingers?

kstjohn

Just wondering if anyone is using or considering using the Vibram Five Finger KSO Trek's (or any of the Vibram shoes) and what your experience has been. I think they would work great, though the lack of a waterproof version (morning dew) is holding me back from thinking of trying them on a course...

I have actually thought about picking up a pair of these but I tend to now buy footwear that gives me some ankle support after "rolling" my right ankle badly 2wice and damaging my left ankle in an accident. I heard some folks jog in those things. They sho look funky dont they? I could see the caveman on those Geico commercials wearing those things.

I use them for the majority of the rounds I play. Not the treks but the sprints, I've had them for a year now and they are like my go-to footwear for being outside, disc golf, fishing, you name it. I do a little running in them, nothing over 3 miles though yet. i like them as my disc golf shoe...the morning dew does feel weird at first, and you will get a little more dirty.

Those are the ones with individual toe sections right? I don't understand the point of them......

its basically for people who like to go barefooted any and anyplace they can.ive actually run into 2 barefoot dger's on the course. obviously you cant go barefooted anywhere nowadays but these are the next best thing. ive been meaning to get some to try ,kso treks seem the best bet for dg use.

a couple weekends ago we let one guy and his wife play through,he had on the sprints i believe and couldnt really get a good plant down in the dirt tee box.

Yeah, I've been wanting a pair of these for awhile now because they are supposed to be better for your back/knees/other joints. Humans evolved barefoot, then for the last teeny chapter of our existence we started wearing shoes with soles that make us walk like cows, heel to toe and what not.

So, do they have any arch support? I would assume not, since its supposed to be like going barefoot. We may have evolved walking barefoot, but we walked around on dirt, which has quite a bit more give than asphalt and concrete.

These are pretty cool sources for reading up on the facts/pros/cons of barefoot running, etc. I chose the five fingers for the simple fact that they just add a second skin under your foot made of vibram rubber for some added protection from rocks, roots, etc. The sprints, like I have, use a velcro strap around the top of the foot that when pulled tight lifts up the arch for a little more added support that you wouldn't be getting barefoot.

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/6FAQ.html

http://www.barefootted.com/

http://www.brooksrunning.com/About+Brooks/On+Barefoot+Running/

http://talk.brooksrunning.com/2010/01/25/barefoot-running-an-open-letter-from-brooks-ceo-jim-weber/

So, do they have any arch support? I would assume not, since its supposed to be like going barefoot. We may have evolved walking barefoot, but we walked around on dirt, which has quite a bit more give than asphalt and concrete.

Wait, you're from Kentucky and you are arguing against going barefoot? :p

Large rubber soles help absorb shock from walking on your heels. What we are designed to do is step with the middle of the foot (outside edge and ball) and our knees and back act as the shock absorbers. Because of soles, we can step with more force than what is healthy or natural which eventually ends up in back and knee pain. It's kind of like wearing boxing gloves, you can hit harder without breaking your hands but you shouldn't be punching things hard anyway and you lose a lot of dexterity.

Thanks for the input. I figure I'll give them some time before I start using them to throw so that muscles groups I haven't used can strengthen (ankles, etc.) before I start.

I'd use the Flow, but I think I need the traction and protection of the Trek for most courses here in the Pacific NW.

The funny thing is with the minimalist shoes the "arch support" becomes unnecessary. When you are barefoot/nearly barefoot the muscles in you foot strengthen to protect your arch. Many people with pain in their arches that "require" orthotics can get rid of them by actually using less support and using the muscles as they are supposed to be used.
As far as ankle support, I have rolled ankles in hiking boots and other shoes that offer a lot of support, but with my vibrams I have been trail running and hiking on some knarly rocky places and haven't come close to rolling an ankle. Your feet have just as many sensory nerves as your hands, if you put a huge cushion you can't feel yourself going off balance thus rolling an ankle. Take away the cushion you allow your pain receptors and spinal nerve reflexes to protect you from a roll.
I have been running barefoot/in vibrams since august and no longer have ankle, knee, back pain while running. I have never been able to run for more than 4 miles with severe pain, now I'm doubling that with ease and no pain except minor muscle soreness.

Last edited:

No, they basically just provide a layer of rubber to protect your feet.

I wanted to try some, but I tried on a couple and my feet and toes weren't quite shaped right and I think it's pretty important to get a real good fit with these.

I talked with my foot Dr. since I've had a bunch of feet issues over the last couple of years and his recommendation was to break them in gradually if you do get them. Depending on your body issues and background, they could make things hurt less, but possibly more, so start with a half hour and work up from there.

I really want to try some of these out... but I cannot justify the price for something that could absolutely hate. :(

They do have a pretty good resale on Ebay. If you end up selling them, you could probably get 50% or more back. For awhile there, when demand was high, I saw them selling used for more than retail.

They do have a pretty good resale on Ebay. If you end up selling them, you could probably get 50% or more back. For awhile there, when demand was high, I saw them selling used for more than retail.

Maybe I should just look for used ones to start... interesting...

a guy I play with used them, the Vibram Five Fingers. until he wore through 2 pair in about 2 months playing disc in them...and at 100+ bucks a piece he decided he better use a different shoe for playing in

The $100 price tag is what keeps me from buying them, but REI does sell them. If you're looking for "used" shoes, have a look at your local REI Scratch-and-Dent sale. Some of the best deals they have are on slightly used shoes.

a guy I play with used them, the Vibram Five Fingers. until he wore through 2 pair in about 2 months playing disc in them...and at 100+ bucks a piece he decided he better use a different shoe for playing in

Didnt I play with you and that guy at Bracketts Bluff? I remember him. I always wondered how those things held up through several (meaning many) rounds of DG...