• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone's head ready to explode yet?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
As a newcomer to the game, I wonder which will happen first:

1. my head will explode

2. I will get a chance to throw and understand a reasonable sample of the various discs out there

3. I will go broke trying #2

Seriously, there are more discs out there that I want to throw than I ever could, considering I want to get to know the paltry dozen or so I own better.

And i play every damned day!

How do you folks do it?

figure out which discs work well for you.
out of those discs, choose one for each 'slot' (OS,stable,US...driver, mid, putter).
fill bag with those discs.
improve your distance, accuracy and putting (practice and playing).
when a new disc comes out, resist temptation to buy it unless the 'slot' it would fill is currently occupied with a disc you're not comfortable with.
if you MUST buy plastic, buy back-ups of the molds you feel like you will throw 5 years from now.

wash, rinse, repeat.

One at a time. Form is greater than disc. But it's natural to want to try everything. The marketplace here is a great place to get discs at a reasonable price/trade. We could all make a list of 'the only 3 discs you need'. But experimenting and curiosity will always be there.

Being addicted to discs is really easy. New plastic is NICE!

Try to avoid what most noobs, like myself do. DON'T buy more discs yet. If you already have a dozen, chances are good you have all you need.

Getting to know those dozen discs inside and out will make you a much better disc golfer. If you feel like your bag really has something missing, then by all means, get a couple to try out.

The only thing I suggest buying more of is putters. Find the one you like, and get at least 4-5 of the same ones in the same weight. The less you're walking to the basket to collect discs, the more time you have to throw, and improve your putting.

One at a time. Form is greater than disc. But it's natural to want to try everything. The marketplace here is a great place to get discs at a reasonable price/trade. We could all make a list of 'the only 3 discs you need'. But experimenting and curiosity will always be there.

I'm hoping this will wear off as i gain experience. Thing is, I haven't found "that disc," yet, although I am getting closer. There is performance, but feel is huge for me as well.

On the other hand, when there is a mega-hyped disc like the Volt, it's hard not to WANT to play too.

It is great to have a new passion tho!

Buying 1 at a time is a waste (as a new player wanting variety). Buy $50 or more at a time from Marshall Street.

TRADE. I have tried a large variety of discs by trading in the marketplace and testing out discs from friends. Thanks to Jrawk I have tried 80% of Lat 64, Kachtz 80% of Blizzard plastic, Gottafixit has helped me try a large variety, and the Pay it forward thread has been huge for trying out new discs.

Last edited:
Being addicted to discs is really easy. New plastic is NICE!

Try to avoid what most noobs, like myself do. DON'T buy more discs yet. If you already have a dozen, chances are good you have all you need.

Getting to know those dozen discs inside and out will make you a much better disc golfer. If you feel like your bag really has something missing, then by all means, get a couple to try out.

The only thing I suggest buying more of is putters.
Find the one you like, and get at least 4-5 of the same ones in the same weight. The less you're walking to the basket to collect discs, the more time you have to throw, and improve your putting.

I believe you - I trust my old Shark better than my new Aviar, mainly for feel. Again, how to try all these wonderful discs? Pure, Ion, Wizard, Dart. They all sound great. As who-dat said, "wash-rinse repeat." :clap:

You're not alone lol....I told my son today, that I was clearly addicted to all things disc golf. I have to force myself to keep my wallet in my pocket, and yes...i have plenty of discs to learn....Patience...deep breaths...I play just about every day, and that's a good thing or else I don't know what I would do with all this DG focused energy!

The Ion, KC Pro Aviar (Big Bead Aviar), and Wizard are pretty much the same disc, just different plastics, and companies. The difference is really about preference in feel with those three.

The Dart is glidey, domey, super straight, has a bit more of a beveled edge, and is easy to throw for approach shots. I've never really putted with it. You might like it if you putt with a Shark.

Never thrown the Pure either, but it gets TONS of love around here.

Welcome to the addiction. Like was said before, figure what molds you can throw well with now, and get back-ups. Most of my courses are wooded, so I went from DX to premium plastics quickly. That being said, my go to driver is the one I threw best in DX plastic. About a year ago I went through a putter phase where I purchased 6 different putter molds before settling on the one I liked the most (this was partially funded by disc golf gift certificates last Christmas). The mold ended up being one that I had tried and liked from a friends bag (so I got 4 of them.... :). I did purchase several X-outs and misstamps, which cut the cost by 30-40%. I have a few putter molds that I feel comfortable driving with, and am SLOWLY working my way up the speed chart for drivers. Again, I play mostly tight wooded courses, so having command of my bag is more important then being able to throw a new high speed disc a mile. Hopefully, as you improve, you can disc down and still get the same distance/accuracy. Good luck!

one of the greatest discs I have ever owned. I use it for my putter, my mid, and driving putter.

I held one the other day at my local shop and, like Lat 64 in general, it felt great in my hand. I also liked the feel of the Ion.

So many discs....

You have the advantage of having this site at your disposal. Bear in mind disc choice is a personal choice of preference a lot of the time, but the forums are a good place to feel out general consensus on a particular mold. And while I've never used the marketplace myself I understand it to be a great resource. The fact is if you're gonna buy plastic you're gonna buy plastic. Knock yourself out. If you want some hard won and expensive advice from a guy with boxes of plastic, try dx (baseline) plastic mids and fairways first. Cheaper to buy and better for your game than the miracle drivers. Experiment with these... The more you play the more likely you'll be to run into one of us on the course with a trunk full of discs who will trade or give you a disc to try out.
Jesus, I bought everything at first. I couldn't help myself.

You need to buy like 30 discs at once and try them all out. If that's not enough try 50 or 100.:|

win tournaments, try the discs you win, trade most of them for other discs on the marketplace here. buy a few when the budget allows and repeat.

You have the advantage of having this site at your disposal. Bear in mind disc choice is a personal choice of preference a lot of the time, but the forums are a good place to feel out general consensus on a particular mold. And while I've never used the marketplace myself I understand it to be a great resource. The fact is if you're gonna buy plastic you're gonna buy plastic. Knock yourself out. If you want some hard won and expensive advice from a guy with boxes of plastic, try dx (baseline) plastic mids and fairways first. Cheaper to buy and better for your game than the miracle drivers. Experiment with these... The more you play the more likely you'll be to run into one of us on the course with a trunk full of discs who will trade or give you a disc to try out.

I absolutely agree with gentleman. My first driver was a beat to hell DX Teebird. I bought a new one shortly after that and almost a decade later (though the molds aren't what they used to be) I still love them. Also, learn to drive with putters.

You've got some discs, you must like one of them. Work from there. For the most part discs fly the way the company says they will. If you like (for example) a Sidewinder (9,5,-3,1) then work your way to a Beast (10,5,-2,2).

With your dedication your disc choice will change quickly over the coming months. If you practice in a field, you will throw 10 feet farther everyday. This will change your disc selection a lot.

I've learned that higher speed disc don't fly farther. They are for high arm speed or head wind. The world distance record (until recently) was set with a Valkyrie, a relatively slow disc. (I throw a Wraith farther than a Destroyer)

For you I would think (in order) Sidewinder, Beast, Vision, Valkyrie, Eagle, Surge. Find what you like.

Aviar or Wizard, it doesn't matter. However fun it is to throw far and try new discs, this game is won or lost inside of 30 feet. Do yourself a favor and learn to putt.

I'm fortunate. I tend to stick to one thing. Once I learned the differences in stability and the need to fill certain slots in the bag, I found good discs that I like that take care of them. Thatsaid, I'm now migrating my bag over to Legacy :).

If you want some hard won and expensive advice from a guy with boxes of plastic, try dx (baseline) plastic mids and fairways first. Cheaper to buy and better for your game than the miracle drivers. Experiment with these... The more you play the more likely you'll be to run into one of us on the course with a trunk full of discs who will trade or give you a disc to try out.

I can relate to that. Thing is, most of my collection is used beat up DX from my local shop. I bought a new Diamond, and it flew sooo much better, I fell into magic bullet syndrome. It's easy to think a new disc can make up for bad technique, but some of these new discs do exactly that.
You need to buy like 30 discs at once and try them all out. If that's not enough try 50 or 100.:|

I'll relay this to my wife. She'll understand....

Latest posts