• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone's league scores worse than casual play?

rikardob

Eagle Member
I have noticed I can't get below a +9 during league, but when I play the same course for practice I consistently get anywhere between a +3 and +7.

I don't play singles league anymore (mainly becuase its about a 45m drive from me for that league) but for doubles when I don't have a partner (wildman) I tend to shoot better then casual...but most casual rounds I don't play serious either cause its with my friends that goof-off and don't take the game serious like I do...or im practicing new lines....I can normally shoot about a -3 on casual and during league ill shoot -9

casual play is more relaxed......miss a putt throw another type thing......besides bragging rights there is no other pot of gold.....league play however has more at stake.....bragging rights......tags......money or chits......plus you had to pay to play.....one throw better make it count....

I havent played singles leagues yet. I play doubles and usually shoot about the same. I have noticed that I shoot like absolute crap in tourneys though. I dont know whether its nerves, or the waiting, or playing with strangers. I can pretty much add 10 strokes to my round if I am playing in a tourney. It sucks cause I feel like I am paying money to suck at disc golf some times.

I have noticed that I shoot like absolute crap in tourneys though. I dont know whether its nerves, or the waiting, or playing with strangers. I can pretty much add 10 strokes to my round if I am playing in a tourney. It sucks cause I feel like I am paying money to suck at disc golf some times.

Sweet. Got my first tournament this weekend.

:(

its all mental man...just try and get to know the guys you are with and shoot the **** and try to keep it a fun enviroment it will help!

Yeah. I just get so discouraged when I make a bad shot or blow a whole par in front of others. I caught myself a few times yesterday trying to brush it off and forget about it instead of being mad and complaining about it. (After I said something putting myself down) Now I just need to catch myself before I say something after a bad shot and maybe count to 10 or something. It's really hard not to let emotions get the better of you out there in a competitive atmosphere.

Yeah but you know what..don't see them as competition just see them as new discing buddies....treat your card as you would your friends...now other cards is a diff story...:D...Ive been on the leader card a few times and its definiently nerve wracking after seeing you have a chance to win and Ive blown it...but you just gotta get them jitters out of there...

I definitely tend to shoot a couple strokes worse in competitive play. After watching myself carefully the last few times out, those strokes are almost all coming from nerves getting to me on putts I would normally make, so it's definitely a mental thing I've got to figure out.

I'm usually a few strokes worse when it "counts", but I've had some pretty good days in doubles. Pressure has always gotten to me, in any sport I've ever played. :(

I definitely play worse under pressure. It's usually from a particular friend that I'd want to beat or something like that. The better I want to do the worse I concentrate.

Advice:

Don't think about getting a good 'score' think about getting the plastic in the basket.

Do the same thing (like a hand clap, knee slap, or snap) after every shot, good or bad, this will help you not get too upset with the bad shots. This might have been something I heard Nate Doss say in an interview. Sometimes I'll hit the shot of my life and not show any emotion, people think it's insane! No one seems to observe that I try to stay level headed with the bad shots as well.

Just like real golf, it's so mental. Don't focus on bad shots in the past, you can't fix them. Don't focus on 'missed opportunities'. Don't be over aggressive on that birdie shot and ruin your par.

I used to be horrible in tourneys and league, like hippie said you could pretty much add 10 strokes. The day before league night I scored a -10 (best round so far though, I average -4) in 24 holes, the day of league I scored a +9... I've since played much more league, and in casual play I bet 5 bucks on a round with friends. This helps with the "pressure", and in the last league round I hit a -5 for 2nd place ^^

I find a lot of casual play just hinders your touney play. Play all rounds like you are in a tourney or league, and to put pressure on it, make fun bets. A buck or two a round even.

Yeah. I just get so discouraged when I make a bad shot or blow a whole par in front of others. I caught myself a few times yesterday trying to brush it off and forget about it instead of being mad and complaining about it. (After I said something putting myself down) Now I just need to catch myself before I say something after a bad shot and maybe count to 10 or something. It's really hard not to let emotions get the better of you out there in a competitive atmosphere.

If it helps playing with someone who will utterly suck, guaranteed, then we should see if we could get in the same group sometime. ^^

I've played Beaver singles twice now and have had some really bad throws on account of nerves.

usually ill shoot several strokes higher in minis, but here lately ive started to gain a little more confidence and im playing better than ever so my scores are starting to even out a little bit...cashed for the first time in open tonight(been playing adv/am)... got 3rd out of 25+...things are definitely getting better...like everyone else has said, its just all about nerves...and putting:)

I just shot my worst league round at valley view wednesday night weekly (played 15 weeks and shot anywhere from -3 to -8 wit an average of about -5) and tonight I pulled off a hot -1!!!!!

I play about the same at my league, I usually step it up a notch when the "top dawgs" are on my card <we have random draw as to where we start on the course>. We have about 30 or so in the league, and the top 5 play off at the end of the year for the $$$ in the pool. Right now I'm sitting in 1st place, and hoping I will still be in there at the end of the season, but even top 5, and I'm in for the $$, so that's all that matters!

If it helps playing with someone who will utterly suck, guaranteed, then we should see if we could get in the same group sometime. ^^

I've played Beaver singles twice now and have had some really bad throws on account of nerves.

I was the best on my card. Just not up to par so to speak with my regular game. My name is Rick B. Just ask John if we can get on a card together. I might not be there next week but forever there after.

I just shot my worst league round at valley view wednesday night weekly (played 15 weeks and shot anywhere from -3 to -8 wit an average of about -5) and tonight I pulled off a hot -1!!!!!

So yeah. Glad you posted.

Latest posts