• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Approach Shots

Hyzer_Soze

After an 8 year lay off, I'm trying to get my game back in shape. I'm actually playing better than ever and having a blast.

I remember I used to have a real problem being consistent with approach shots (80' to 150'), particularly if I was standing still. While I've improved in most other areas, this has remained the same. I have no confidence or accuracy standing still for an approach outside of 80'.

I seem to have a lot more success if I can take a run up, or even just a step or two. Does anyone else experience this?

I've had difficulty finding much technique information on approach shots. And I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

I've tried a lot of different discs for approach but mostly use Core / Fuse. I have been trying to use putters more though, after reading about discing down. Unfortunately, I'm just as uncomfortable and erratic with the putters.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I almost always take a step or two unless putting. And I consider this area the strongest of my game. Just helps my rhythm. Why do you feel you have to throw a standstill?

I throw aviars in this distance and I think they are feel shots much like putting and require practice.

This is something I struggled with too. Could park a 200' approach every time and I can jump putt a 100' "approach," but in between I had trouble ranging my power.

First thing I found useful is obvious. Go out to a course or bring a practice basket to a field and just throw low flying approach shots from 75-150' out, varying the distances.

Another thing that helped was learning different shots. I can throw a FH approach or FH roller approach very accurately, and in certain situations I find it easier to scale power on them than the BH shots.

I also have the best luck with a heavy putter in these situations, or maybe a mid for a FH approach if it's long enough.

I approach approach shots a couple of different ways. (yeah I doubled that up)

-i throw RHBH

If I'm going to be at a standstill I put my plant foot (right foot) down almost perpendicular to the basket and put my other foot (left foot) back and to the right. This puts me in a position where I pretty much have my back to my target. This allows me to line up a straight shot with my disc; I point my disc out to the target and adjust myself so I'm in line, then take a couple of practice swings where I'm pointing the disc 180 away from the basket and then putting it on the line to the basket.

This helps me quite a bit with straight, low, and anny shots. If I want to use a hyzer I move my back foot more to the left so I'm not facing away from the target as much.

If I'm further away (150 and up) I will take one or two steps depending on the distance and the way the lie is positioned.

Last edited:
Why do you feel you have to throw a standstill?

That's a good question. I thought that's what I was "supposed" to do. It's a pretty poor answer and I'm kind of relieved that others have had some difficulty with the same thing. Ultimately, I'd like to be at least somewhat comfortable with standing still shots because, from what I understand, playing rocky terrain at a course like Nockamixon, you don't really have much choice.

Thanks for all the input. I look forward to giving them a try.

I thought that's what I was "supposed" to do.

I think the only thing you're "supposed" to do is get the disc in the bucket legally! :) And I've heard people talk about how silly it is to take a couple steps and I just smile as I make the shots time after time.

I'd like to be at least someone comfortabel with standing still shots

Definitely something to work on. Like tomahawks or thumb rollers it's not something you have to use every round but something that will eventually hurt your game if you can't pull it off.

Ultimately, I'd like to be at least somewhat comfortable with standing still shots because, from what I understand, playing rocky terrain at a course like Nockamixon, you don't really have much choice.

You could try lifting your front foot up as you reach back, and stomping down when you throw. Makes it a little easier to get some extra power without having to take any full steps.

I've been spending time working on tomahawks and all different styles of rollers as well, so maybe, as suggested, I can incorporate some of those throws in when I'm in that difficulty zone.

Another problem I've had, as I've tried to use putters from the distance, is getting comfortable with the feel of the discs. The thin rims of the putters are difficult to get use to it's hard for me to get a clean release. I've read on the forums that it's something you get used to, so I'm willing to keep at it.

In the meantime, I've been searching for a putter that feels best in my hands for the longer approach shots. I was most comfortable with the Pig. It has a great feel in my hand. Unfortunately, it's more overstable than I like to throw and I've been pretty much awful with it. I'm thinking about using it for a couple of rounds at South Mountain (a ton of trees) and beating it to heck.

If you like the pig check out the Rhyno. It's a little less stable and has a touch more glide, but it's still a good wind fighter, resistant to turning over and has a predictable drop. One of the best approach discs.

which Pig do you have? if you have a Pro the R-Pros are less overstable. If it's still to OS for you try a Rhyno.

Edit: damn Mike C beat me to it.

I'll check out the Rhyno for sure.

I think it's an R-Pro, I'll double check when I get home. It wasn't unusable overstable, that's why I was hoping I could beat it up a little and make it better. But I plan on checking out the Rhyno for sure.

I've got five or six pigs. The domier ones are not as overstable as some of the flatter ones. Beating them in does straighten them out a bit. Try throwing them on an anhyzer angle if you want straighter approaches; they'll go right and the S curve back so you can get a straighter overall line out of it.

I'm best standing still, reaching back and throwing between 75-100 feet. Standing still from this range helps tremendously with my accuracy. From 100-150 feet I'll lift my plant foot and stomp down as MikeC suggested for that extra bit needed. Anything longer and I'll use a one or two step run up, anything shorter than 75 feet and I am either using some finesse and touch to get it close or I'm in putting mode. Do what works for you and develop good repetitive habits.

I've also made the switch this year to using a few different putters for almost anything within 150 feet. Right now I am using a DX Rhyno, Pro-D Ringer, and a Soft Warlock...straight lines, great control, and they typically stop when they drop.

Try some forehand approaches with a split finger/peace grip. I am forehand dominant but between 90ft & 175ft is the best part of my game for sure. When I did throw more RHBH I had some of the same problems. Try playing with the amount of reach back on your back swing. I also found it easier to look at the spot I was amming for throughout the whole motion. I think it has a lot to do with your reachbackt hough because I have seen other players have this problem too. They eather blow past because they are in drive mode or leave it short because they are in putt mode. I don;t have a ton of experince but that is MO....

i stand still for approaches. although i do lift my front foot up a bit. i think it comes from years of playing ultimate. playing a bit of catch with some buddies before a round helps with your accuracy.

I had the same problem last year @ this time. I made a commitment to learning the putter. Anything inside 200-150 ft, including drives, I would use my putter. I've found "overstable" putters best off the tee & for longer throws. "Understable" seems better for touch shots & going for chains. My game has be come more consistent this year. Not always great scores, but the chances to score low are there. Just my experience.

The easiest way to get better at approach shots is to suck at driving and putting :). I didn't trust either, so if I wasn't within 15' on my upshot, it was a bad throw.

Real way to get better on approaches? Play an entire round with just your upshot disc. You think much more about precision and placement that way.

The easiest way to get better at approach shots is to suck at driving and putting :).
Playing Ultimate for a long time before you take up disc golf is the strategy I used.

For most normal shots (ones that aren't huge spike hyzers or something) under 200' I change my grip to the grip I use for putting (index finger on the underside of the rim rather than inside the rim, other fingers fanned out on the bottom of the flight plate) and usually throw from a standstill. Basically, I do what I did when I played Ultimate or catch.

I find it hard to give specific advice for these shots because it's something that I had basically been working on since I was little, but didn't know it, so it came pretty easily. Just playing catch with some friends using putters or lids will probably help a lot. Once you get good at that you just adjust your aiming so that you land under the basket and play the fade rather than throwing directly at your target at chest height.

^^^^ this is the same thing that I do

I have been throwing more and more long upshots with my Rattler. It flies like a lid, and puts me in that state of mind. I just pretend the basket or landing area is a friend and we are playing catch. It flies the same, and forces me to throw clean with enough height.

Finding a good grip with your putter can be tricky. I'd suggest trying the flip-back drill on DGR to help you figure out a comfortable grip that still allows you to sling the disc around your index finger and get good spin on low power shots. You will have to try different orientations of the putter in your hand. Throwing the most overstable putter you can find to compensate for lack of a clean release won't be very successful in the long run! Try to work with a more conventional putter for upshots.

Latest posts