• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AR,TN,NC,GA,AL,MS,LA

mark996

Double Eagle Member
Wife and I are headed to NC this summer for a little getaway, and she suggested hitting up a few of the higher rated courses. We'll be headed through Shreveport, LA, Vicksburg, MS, Miridian, MS, Tuscaloosa AL, Birmingham, AL, Chatanooga, TN, and finally on to Bryson City, NC. On the return trip we'll be headed more through northern Alabama through Memphis, TN and Little Rock, AR before heading back in the TX. Anyone near or around those cities have any choice courses I need to check out around there?

I live in Meridian. We have a nice 9 hole course here in Highland Park. We might not be "highly" rated but the course is fun, easy to navigate, has a good mix of distance, hills, and plays in a nice loop. Depending on your pace of play, a round might take you 30 to 45 minutes.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6142

From I-20 you only have to take two turns (after you get off the Interstate) to get to the park.

Let me know when you are coming thru and maybe I can meet you guys for a round. :thmbup:

Last note, I also work/manage the towns only bike shop too.;)

Last edited:
I live in Meridian. We have a nice 9 hole course here in Highland Park.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6142

From I-20 you only have to take two turns (after you get off the Interstate) to get to the park.

Let me know when you are coming thru and maybe I can meet you guys for a round. :thmbup:

Last note, I also work/manage the towns only bike shop too.;)

Awesome thanks! I still haven't decided if I'm going to bring my bike or not yet, my wife doesn't ride and this is really a couples trip, she just lost her father and he spent a lot of time in NC and loved the state and scenery, she spent a lot of time up there with him.

Awesome thanks! I still haven't decided if I'm going to bring my bike or not yet, my wife doesn't ride and this is really a couples trip, she just lost her father and he spent a lot of time in NC and loved the state and scenery, she spent a lot of time up there with him.

I kinda figured on a couples trip it would be easier to not drag bikes along and not be a priority.

If you do we have at least 25+ miles of trails at the Bonita Lakes Park. That is totally FREE to use. Some service road, double track, and LOADS of SINGLETRACK! Lots of climbing and descending too.

Also the trails are located right next to our main shopping area too. The Bonita Lakes Mall, and the Bonita Lakes Crossing. You can park at the mall and coast down the hill to gain access to the trails.

T-Town has Oak Mountain there, they have a 17 mile loop for bike riding there too. Oak MT is super nice and well maintained and have hosted national races there. Ned Overend rode there as his testing grounds when he developed the "Captain" tire line for Specialized.

Last edited:
I kinda figured on a couples trip it would be easier to not drag bikes along and not be a priority.

If you do we have at least 25+ miles of trails at the Bonita Lakes Park. That is totally FREE to use. Some service road, double track, and LOADS of SINGLETRACK! Lots of climbing and descending too.

Also the trails are located right next to our main shopping area too. The Bonita Lakes Mall, and the Bonita Lakes Crossing. You can park at the mall and coast down the hill to gain access to the trails.

T-Town has Oak Mountain there, they have a 17 mile loop for bike riding there too. Oak MT is super nice and well maintained and have hosted national races there. Ned Overend rode there as his testing grounds when he developed the "Captain" tire line for Specialized.

Missed edit window:

Forgot to include condolences for you/your wife, Sorry for the loss of her father and your paw-in-law. :(

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

There definitely are some choice trail systems up there I need to hit. I'm laying off the winter racing season, but my son has been back and forth on his high school team and loves it. That'll be a different trip though, one that we can focus just on picking some awesome trails and hitting them hard.

If you're gonna be in Bryson City, you owe it to yourself to ride Tsali, if you already haven't.

As far as disc golf goes in that area, I've heard good things about Fontana Village, but have no first hand experience there.

Fontana Village course is very nice. There's no way I'd find myself in Bryson City, and not play it.

The biking at Tsali trumps the dg at Fontana by a wide margin (and is much closer to Bryson City);
a detour up to Harmon Hills will be the dg highlight of your trip.
Morristown is on the way if you need added incentive.

Last edited:
I"m thinking a trip to Harmon Hills is in order after seeing the pics. Fontana Village is on the list to do while we're there. Also looking at Clay DGC in Alabama and DeGray Lake Resort in Bismark, AR.

The biking at Tsali trumps the dg at Fontana by a wide margin (and is much closer to Bryson City);
a detour up to Harmon Hills will be the dg highlight of your trip.
Morristown is on the way if you need added incentive.

I can't speak for the biking, just the disc golf. I assume our O.P. is staying in Bryson City for a period of time. I've stayed in Cherokee, and when we do, driving over to Fontana is always worthwhile. From Bryson City it's, what, 30-45 minutes? It's not a great course but it's a good one, and beautiful, and, when I've been there, we've had it to ourselves.

Hey Mark-

On your way back, consider swinging through Jonesboro, Arkansas. It would add 1 hr travel time between Memphis and Little Rock, but I think it would be worth it if you had the time.

You guys would be able to check out Disc Side of Heaven. The bad thing is, if it is mid-to-late summer the Championship Course would be unplayable due to tall grass, but the Rec Course stays in great shape all year. And depending on skill levels, you and the Mrs. would be able to play together from different tees to make it competitive as well as super fun.

With three different tees (four if you count the short kids tees) you can make it as easy or hard as you want.

As your trip gets closer, feel free to IM me here or shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

You can also check the courses out on Facebook if that is your thing.

Hope to hear from you as the summer draws closer.

Brad

PM me and I'll meet you at Clay, one of my favorite courses and definitely the best in the Birmingham area.
And YES to Harmon Hills if you're able to make that happen. One of the best private courses I've ever played, 4 unique 9ers and great hosts.

I know from experience that it's a pain bringing bikes if it's not the focus of your trip,but you can rent mountain bikes in Bryson City if you decide to hit Tsali. Along with hiking Joyce Kilmer and rafting the Nantahala, Tsali should not be missed. If I was going to hit Fontana Village,I would do it on the way home via tail of the dragon.

I have heard Liberty Land in Memphis is phenominal. I am a big fan of Wall Doxey in Holly Springs, MS. Its not too terribly far out of the way.

OK I am Stupid...:confused: Have to edit/correct myself.

Oak Mountain is in BIRMINGHAM, AL...not Tuscaloosa, AL ! I was in a hurry when I was posting this, was having to get ready and be at the course by 11:45am today...

if you go to Cherokee make sure you hit up the breakfast place right outside of town, can't think of the name of it but it looks like a diner that's been there forever. place is amazing. the blueberry pancakes are the best ever.

also i dont know about the fontana disc golf but the lake is badass, all kinds of rope swings and cliff jumps around. beautiful place.

Harmon Hills would definitely be a nice stop if you route between Bryson City and back to Chattanooga. There are a couple of other good courses in Knoxville and Tri-Cities, too.

Feel free to PM me if you want a local to help guide you.

If you're gonna be in Bryson City, you owe it to yourself to ride Tsali, if you already haven't.

As far as disc golf goes in that area, I've heard good things about Fontana Village, but have no first hand experience there.

This x 1000. I used to ride Tsali when I lived in Sylva & it is freaking amazing.
As for DG, Fontana Village was a super fun course & also Richmond Hill in Asheville. The 3 courses in Morristown are all solid & we have a couple good ones in Knoxville.
Also, Roane County off of exit 350 on I-40 is another solid option

I really liked Bud HIll in Memphis. Also if you can swing it play Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in north central AR.

Its a trek out there but its one of the most memorable and epic disc golf days I've ever had. It never gets talked about b/c its so far out of the way from everything.

Wish I could help more but I haven't played much in the deep south.

Latest posts