• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Are Gyro discs less forgiving?

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
While going through my bag today, I noticed that I only have one Gyro disc left in my bag, from a high of seven discs just a few months ago. This wasn't a conscious choice, just the result of many days of comparing similar discs in the field by my house.

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that the reason is that my less than perfect throws with Gyro discs are worse than similar throws with non-Gyro discs. This is especially noticeable on throws where I don't put enough clean spin on the disc (i.e. I don't get good "snap").

Because this happens more often on less than full throws, I tested this theory by making a bunch of 150-200ft low power, low ceiling throws with mids that were as similar as possible aside from one being gyro. The comparisons were...

Neutron Hex vs Aura Pathfinder
Neutron Uplink vs Taffy Peace Train

On throws with good "snap", both full & less than full power, there wasn't a significant distance, flight or stability difference between the discs being compared. However, on any throw that I failed to get clean spin, the Gyro disc was consistently punished more severely - mainly distance, but also flight (i.e. hyzer out early).

Has anyone else noticed this?

The main thing I've noticed about gyor stuff is that it all takes more power than I expect to get the flight/line I want out of it. Doesn't matter if it's a putter, mid, or driver. Maybe that has to do with my spin rate on throws but there's definitely something to it.

Easier at this point just to avoid gyro than readjust the feel of how I throw to compensate.

I think its a combination of things. The added weight on the rim makes the disc act like it's a speed faster than it really is. The faster a disc is, the less margin for error you have.
I think they hold the angle of release longer than other discs. Which is great if you hit your angle and terrible if you miss it.

I thimk having a combo of gyro and non gyro is the best of both worlds.

I'll definitely still throw my Gyro discs for field work. It's good to have discs that let you know when you're doing something wrong. As far as my bag, though... I'd rather not be punished any more than necessary when I make a mistake. LOL

Yup.... fairly normal.. gyro discs like nose down and will take all the spin you can give em. They punish you for nose up throws because they don't flip over/up like traditional discs.

While going through my bag today, I noticed that I only have one Gyro disc left in my bag, from a high of seven discs just a few months ago. This wasn't a conscious choice, just the result of many days of comparing similar discs in the field by my house.

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that the reason is that my less than perfect throws with Gyro discs are worse than similar throws with non-Gyro discs. This is especially noticeable on throws where I don't put enough clean spin on the disc (i.e. I don't get good "snap").

Because this happens more often on less than full throws, I tested this theory by making a bunch of 150-200ft low power, low ceiling throws with mids that were as similar as possible aside from one being gyro. The comparisons were...

Neutron Hex vs Aura Pathfinder
Neutron Uplink vs Taffy Peace Train

On throws with good "snap", both full & less than full power, there wasn't a significant distance, flight or stability difference between the discs being compared. However, on any throw that I failed to get clean spin, the Gyro disc was consistently punished more severely - mainly distance, but also flight (i.e. hyzer out early).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Hard to beat the Peace Train. :)

I don't have any gyro—is there an upside? If you throw perfect do they give more distance?

I don't have any gyro—is there an upside? If you throw perfect do they give more distance?

I haven't noticed any extra distance. I do think they are more resistant to getting knocked off their line/angle by things like hitting small twigs/leaves, small wind gusts, etc. than non-Gyro discs. You have to give them enough spin to get them flying to realize that advantage, though.

I bag Hex and Envy as opposed to a comparable non-Gyro (I'm brand-indifferent) because they seem to be the most "forgiving", but I'm generally throwing either one at full power or something close. Lately I lean into the Berg for underpowered FH and BH approach for reasons as you describe.

I spent many hours working on my underpowered Envy game, and learned the type of anny and nose up I needed to get results, but it's as you say, a characteristic of the disc if I compare it to the Berg. So I might use it when I want *that*--a more sure LSS that's not too OP.

Yes if you get a good clean snap and nose down you are rewarded, how much more is debatable haha. Theres definitely molds of note... glitch, envy, proxy, uplink, hex, wave and fission octane.

Biggest upside is lightweight discs holding the same relative stability as their heavy counterparts. Something like a 155 fission octane is a better or less finicky bomber than a blizzard boss IMO.

I figured them out kinda. I have to use all wrist and no arm, then they don't dump out on me and I get nicer looking flights, only they're short because of the low arm speed :p Directional control still iffy too because it's an intentional wrist snap vs a side effect of something else?

Ironically I have to do the same with Frisbees to get them somewhat stable...

Interesting post. I have probably 7-8 gyro discs and don't bag any of them. Two two critique's that you made describe me very well. I often have poor snap or lack spin on my throws. I never really made a thoughtful decision about why I took them out of my bag, it just happened. I really do like the concept though, and they are pretty durable discs.

Enhanced glide and more of a forward push as they lose momentum and fade out. Easier to lock on to a given line, i.e. if I throw an Aviar PnA and a Proxy on a hyzer for 300', the Aviar will want to flip up from the angle I gave it more than the Proxy.

I also find them to be pretty consistent compared to some other brands.

I could see them being less forgiving if you have snap issues. I've had pretty good snap since MVP existed so it's a non-issue for me. Maybe that's why I clicked with their discs so easily.

Personally I find MVP discs fly pretty true to the numbers generally. While I find that to sometimes not be the case with other companies. Latitude 64 seems to be the worst offender here. A lot of their discs fly more understable than the numbers suggest, for my throw at least. Same experience with other discs I've thrown from different companies....the escape, the truth, the atlas, etc.

Something about the way overmolded discs handle spin and torque just matches my personal throwing style really well. I'm very happy with them. I think the last non overmold disc I bagged was the Quasar before MVP made anything that speed.

Enhanced glide and more of a forward push as they lose momentum and fade out. Easier to lock on to a given line, i.e. if I throw an Aviar PnA and a Proxy on a hyzer for 300', the Aviar will want to flip up from the angle I gave it more than the Proxy.

I could see them being less forgiving if you have snap issues. I've had pretty good snap since MVP existed so it's a non-issue for me. Maybe that's why I clicked with their discs so easily.

Something about the way overmolded discs handle spin and torque just matches my personal throwing style really well. I'm very happy with them. I think the last non overmold disc I bagged was the Quasar before MVP made anything that speed.

Right on the money, I was coming back to mention the gyro push phase at about 3/4 of the flight.

I also recommend to people new to gyro to go 4 or 5g below their normal weight preference. They throw a little beefy but once you figure out how to get them up to spin/speed they cruise. I can bore you again with the story of how I hated my first ion until I figured it out.

The best evidence of the existence of gyro is the 150 glitches, they hold a line surprisingly well even in a breeze and have more stability then you would expect from a 150 lid and they are one of the few molds that are nose up friendly.

The Paradox, uplink, signal and Orbital also make that list.

I'm the opposite, I've been slowly adding more and more gyro discs to my bag. For whatever reason, they all feel more trustworthy than what they've replaced.

The most unforgiving MVP/Axiom disc I've tried has to be the Relativity.

The Relativity is MASSIVELY long. It would be at the very top of my list of longest drivers on the market. However, the thing is super finicky. The Relativity doesn't really hyzerflip well. You can smash it hyzer and the disc stays there and fades out quickly. Throwing it hard and flat is where the problems start. The Relativity is one of those drivers that goes from hyzer to flipped seemingly without rhyme or reason. As soon as you get aggressive and try to get turn on the Relativity it flips right into the ground.

I'll get probably 1 throw in 10 that's perfect with it. The other 9 are either hyzer stalls or flipped over.

Gyro discs are definitely harder to throw than others. I find that they're often more stable than listed, and don't glide very well. Even discs like Octanes and Mayhems can be stubborn fliers. Other stuff like the Wave and Vanish are flippy, but don't glide that well.

My experience has been the opposite. Mayhems have fantastic glide for me. Craves, Axis, Hex, Proxy, Insanity....all glide machines.

And there's the power level marker right there haha, forgive me if im paraphrasing wrong..

Twmcoy throws corvettes 500' he doesn't like the wave and Mayhem, Mike C I think is pushing back up to 400 ish and loves the Mayhem, crave and axis. I'm barely back up to 300' and I had trouble powering up my old pp crave and the axis but I love me some waves and uplinks for more distance than i deserve because of their huge glide. I keep a Mayhem around for playing in gale force head winds.

Point is... MVP really means it with their speed rating, I think the people setting the numbers are 400' throwers. I might be able to cheat a 143-150g fission photon but a 157g-160g photon is getting beefy for me, the wave (vanish?) is the only 11 speed in my wheelhouse.

Latest posts