• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tourneys Fun?

Do you enjoy tourney play?

• Yes

Votes: 214 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • Haven't played in a tourney yet

Votes: 29 9.8%

• Total voters
I dislike playing them and I dislike running them. But I do both for fundraising purposes because while I generally dislike other disc golfers, I love disc golf courses.

Can someone explain why the pace of tourney play is so slow to someone who has never played in a tournament (me)? Is it just that people are agonizing over each and every shot? Does it have something to do with how and when you can approach or throw your disc?

Its not so much "agonizing" over every shot so much as taking your time, and that adds up. Also staying out of people's way while they are preparing to throw, and waiting for other groups to throw if you're in their line of sight, are all things that add up.

I've never played in a tournament with awful round times. The longest tournament round I've ever played was the PDGA Player's Championship on Jackson at the IDGC. It was about 4.5 hours, which is a long time. But that course takes me about 2.5 hours to play solo and any group play will be well over 3. So its not that bad really.

People are referencing the Flying Eye open as having 5 hour rounds and being absurd. That course is at least 3 hours on a good day by yourself, have some perspective.

I enjoy the battle of PDGA tournaments. I don't play any local club events. I prefer formal battles and look forward to the test of grinding it out for 4 rounds.

I've only played a few but I've come to realize that most tournament players aren't the type of people I'd like to spend a couple hours with. Last one I played a few in my group were getting stoned to the point where they couldn't keep track of their disc or if it was their turn to throw. This was in INT at a B-Tier.

Can someone explain why the pace of tourney play is so slow to someone who has never played in a tournament (me)? Is it just that people are agonizing over each and every shot? Does it have something to do with how and when you can approach or throw your disc?

There are a lot of factors, but mostly it's a traffic jam.

Especially for a full course, for the same reason that roads you can normally cruise down get bogged down at rush hour. Everyone is moving at the rate of the slowest player. Add in backup holes---usually a long hole that takes a while for the group to clear, with a series of shorter holes leading up to it---and it's tough.

Then again, I've played tournaments that were half-full, and the pace of play wasn't much slower than casual rounds with a group of 4.

Over all, I'd have to go with fun. Slow play , for what ever the reason, can be a downer. At 42 , with bad back and knees fading, two days and four rounds can be pushing it out the fun zone for me. And it's luck of the draw on your card mates. Not so much cause some ones a total d bag, but personalities some times clash or don't mix well.

Pretty sure there's rules on how long you can take to line up your shot, like a shot clock 60 seconds I believe is the PDGA rule, then you get a stroke penalty. If your playing a tournament not playing by PDGA rules, than I agree what's the point.

I played my first tournament on Nov 1 this year and had an absolute blast. While the rounds went slow with 97 players and 20 holes, that didn't bother me much. I've only been playing since April so I was in Novice and everyone on my card in both rounds were awesome people. So much fun getting to know them and chat. And I bet part of the reason I enjoyed it is because it was more casual with us being beginning players. Which is the way I feel it should be.

I can see how at the pro level it might be more serious. I did encounter one instance where I noted a card of older pros, who we caught up to on a hole that was backed up, gave us looks of disapproval when we were not doing anything wrong. I chalk it up to jaded elitism on their part.

One thing that gets to me is the quiet waiting while people are throwing. I can't fathom how you can't concentrate when someone talking. I've been playing hockey and soccer for over 20 years so maybe it's because I'm just used to yelling going on all the time while making quick decisions. But if you're playing any sort of sport you should be able to handle some background noise.

One thing that gets to me is the quiet waiting while people are throwing. I can't fathom how you can't concentrate when someone talking. I've been playing hockey and soccer for over 20 years so maybe it's because I'm just used to yelling going on all the time while making quick decisions. But if you're playing any sort of sport you should be able to handle some background noise.

i agree to a point. baseball, football, wrestling, always noise . . . especially football. everybody's yelling all the time. if you can't concentrate with noise, sucks to be you.

of course i won't be making noise since it's just common courtesy, i just don't understand why people can't concentrate with noise. maybe if everybody was talking all the time we'd just get used to it. i think i'd like tournaments more then, they'd be more fun.

i guess that's why we have leagues. :D

It doesn't bother me enough that I want to lead a noise revolution in Disc Golf. haha. And to that extent there is a difference between casual talk in the background and loud (intentionally) distracting noises right when someone is about to release a throw. I'm just as competitive as anyone else but I've always found the social aspect of sports to be most enjoyable because sports are inherently social activities. To me, it is counter to what I believe a sport is to have a rule against talking.

Voted yes. Usually really enjoy meeting and throwing with new people. There have been a few horrible experiences, nothing to do with the tournament, but the people on the card. Overall I really like them, and probably the thing I missed 2nd most (weekly doubles is 1st) during my time away.

This isn't a team sport like the ones you mentioned. Ever watch golf? They tend to be quiet there too when someone is executing a shot. That etiquette carried over to disc golf.

i agree to a point. baseball, football, wrestling, always noise . . . especially football. everybody's yelling all the time. if you can't concentrate with noise, sucks to be you.
We're not playing baseball, or football, or wrestling where those sort of noises are part of the game's culture. We're playing golf, where it's discourteous.

Also, there's a distinction between background noise by non-participants that you can generally tune out and foreground noise by your card mates who should know better, or should stick to casual play if they don't.

Even in casual play, if your running your mouth while someone else is throwing your inconsiderate, and need to stop.

really?

the culture up here in mn is a lot different then. ive played with many people who will continue to talk while throwing if were playing casual. it almost gets weird if your BSing and laughing, having a good time then all of a sudden your about to putt and it gets silent. kinda gets weird. even people on here ive met continue to talk. however we establish somewhere on the first or second hole that its cool to talk while someone is throwing. obviously were not goin to be DB's to others.

tldr: talking while throwing during casual rounds is ok if established with everyone

Personally, I have no desire to play in a tournament. I get my competition fix elsewhere, and disc golf is strictly for fun. I follow all the rules and do my best, but I get enjoyment out of throwing discs and making shots, not winning.

Mainly it's that most tourneys use a shotgun tee off. That means that every hole on the course has at least a 3some on it from the time they yell "Start". One or two groups playing fairly slow can bog down the whole course in that situation, wheter it be for a rules debate or a lost disc or what have you.

Pretty sure there's rules on how long you can take to line up your shot, like a shot clock 60 seconds I believe is the PDGA rule, then you get a stroke penalty. If your playing a tournament not playing by PDGA rules, than I agree what's the point.

It's 30 seconds. And the first offense is a warning. The rule book is available online. Sorry. My biggest pet peeve in disc golf is people quoting rules incorrectly, especially in a forum where they can take the time to look it up if they're unsure.

As for the general discussion about pace of play, it's not because players are taking "too long" (at least by rule). Certainly not on every shot. It is simply volume. Groups on every hole in a full tournament, and a rule against playing through. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

This isn't a team sport like the ones you mentioned. Ever watch golf? They tend to be quiet there too when someone is executing a shot. That etiquette carried over to disc golf.

We're not playing baseball, or football, or wrestling where those sort of noises are part of the game's culture. We're playing golf, where it's discourteous.

Also, there's a distinction between background noise by non-participants that you can generally tune out and foreground noise by your card mates who should know better, or should stick to casual play if they don't.

Ill just say it.. disc golfs are a bunch of whiners who love to grumble over non-issues. If playing at a disc golf course next to an airport is possible without issue (golfers use the same course) ill never understand the awkwardness of DG etiquette. Its like the statue stop when putting out which I find almost more annoying then if the person would just keep walking away. None of it is going to impact your shot that much with a little focus. I was always pretty good at hitting Free Throws in basketball and last time I checked the games are not in a Library.

This **** aint golf.

I voted "no", even though I have never played a disc golf tournament. My experience with tournaments stems from ball golf. The last tournament I played took 8-1/2 hours in humid heat with two of the most annoying players I had ever played with on my card. After that, never again.

I like to be competitive on a casual scale or compete against my self. It takes a certain mentality to be a true competitor and I don't have the true mentality for it.

It bothers me when my cardmates are talking while I throw.

It's not the actual noise that bothers me, it's the fact that it makes it feel as though they're not paying attention to the shot. It's important to have everyone on the card watching each shot both as a referee and spotter.

On top of that, it's disrespectful. Part of the fun of playing tournaments is playing as a group. When there's constant chatter during your shot, it gives a sense of exclusion from the rest of the group.

So when I step up to the tee, if my group is talking, I will pause and wait until they're ready before I throw.

It bothers me when my cardmates are talking while I throw.

It's not the actual noise that bothers me, it's the fact that it makes it feel as though they're not paying attention to the shot. It's important to have everyone on the card watching each shot both as a referee and spotter.

On top of that, it's disrespectful. Part of the fun of playing tournaments is playing as a group. When there's constant chatter during your shot, it gives a sense of exclusion from the rest of the group.

So when I step up to the tee, if my group is talking, I will pause and wait until they're ready before I throw.

I don't like being asked a question as im in the middle of my xstep but can mash on a disc regardless. Id say its their loss for not paying attention to the shot. A lot of people look away anyways when being silent for some reason. :doh: Same thing as far as respect can be said about people who wear headphones.

Owly dudes.