• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Armchair Engineers! Help!

A dry bag used for water sports would work. I had one for my kayak and would roll my kayak with my phone and wallet in my dry bag and not have any issues. Here's a link to dry bags on Amazon...all you'd have to do is figure out what size you want.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dry+bags...fix=dry+bag,aps,168&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_7

I kayak, and had one fail on me, and had to replace my phone. I think Jen's smart to keep her phone out of an ice filled cooler from the start.

Let's say it's effective 99.5% of the time. The dry bag only needs to fail. 0.5% , and she could be replacing a phone every 200 outings or so.

I keep mine in my pocket, but to each their own.

I kayak, and had one fail on me, and had to replace my phone. I think Jen's smart to keep her phone out of an ice filled cooler from the start.

Let's say it's effective 99.5% of the time. The dry bag only needs to fail. 0.5% , and she could be replacing a phone every 200 outings or so.

I keep mine in my pocket, but to each their own.

and another thought on the dry bag is that it is a "dry" bag.....I'm not sure how the cold would affect the phone even if the dry bag was 100% perfect.

For carrying my phone and one or two other small items, I'm thinking maybe I'll try a small drawstring trash bag and just loop the bag through the drawstring around the handle on the side opposite the towel. Or maybe through the eyehole in the top corner of the power pocket.

You have enough room on the top of the cooler you could probably get a dashboard-style phone holder and stick it to the top. Suction cup probably won't work, but the ones with double-sided tape should. It could then double as your tripod for filming if you're into that. Just make sure it's mounted in a place where it doesn't hit the handle when you open the lid.

You have enough room on the top of the cooler you could probably get a dashboard-style phone holder and stick it to the top. Suction cup probably won't work, but the ones with double-sided tape should. It could then double as your tripod for filming if you're into that. Just make sure it's mounted in a place where it doesn't hit the handle when you open the lid.

I plan to sit on the cooler.

I do like the idea of a dry bag but for use outside the cooler and attached to the power pocket. The 5L looks about the right size for a phone, ladies wallet, and snacks.

...I'm not sure how the cold would affect the phone even if the dry bag was 100% perfect.
My experience is the cold is a complete non-issue. Ice chest wouldn't ever get below 32 degrees (unless you added salt), and I've left mine in my car in significantly lower temps... never had an issue.

I suspect the cold might reduce battery performance, but can't say I've ever even seen that.

Playing through through the winters in MI, I've never known anyone who kept their phone in their bag, to ever say a peep about the cold affecting it. Never even heard someone spin an amusing and/or cautionary tale about it.

Just my experience living in a winter wonderland.

My main concern is losing something I can't afford to lose. The wet is a legit concern.

I'd use a plastic trash bag to pack all the cold stuff in the bottom (ice/drinks). Fold over the trash bag so you have a dry space above. Throw phone and other items in a large ziplock.

Additional protection. Freeze water bottles for cold supply. If you want ice, pack that in a ziplock inside the trash bag.

If you choose to mount the bag on the outside, just make sure it's secure. It would suck massively to lose those critical items.

My experience is the cold is a complete non-issue. Ice chest wouldn't ever get below 32 degrees (unless you added salt), and I've left mine in my car in significantly lower temps... never had an issue.

I suspect the cold might reduce battery performance, but can't say I've ever even seen that.

Playing through through the winters in MI, I've never known anyone who kept their phone in their bag, to ever say a peep about the cold affecting it. Never even heard someone spin an amusing and/or cautionary tale about it.

Just my experience living in a winter wonderland.
my phone (samsung(s)) has been so cold it slows down & takes a while to process commands. my fingers have also gotten too cold to register on the screen. on the flip side in the summer heat my phone activates in my pocket (sweaty leg, i guess), this luckily hasn't led anything bad yet.

my phone (samsung(s)) has been so cold it slows down & takes a while to process commands. my fingers have also gotten too cold to register on the screen. on the flip side in the summer heat my phone activates in my pocket (sweaty leg, i guess), this luckily hasn't led anything bad yet.

Maybe I should consider myself fortunate.

I am just not convinced the cooler will really work. I have the same cooler, and dragging it across a large grass field at festivals can be a chore. Poor ground clearance and uncomfortable ergonomics were the primary problems. I don't know the terrain you are looking at. Hope it works, jenb.

I am just not convinced the cooler will really work. I have the same cooler, and dragging it across a large grass field at festivals can be a chore. Poor ground clearance and uncomfortable ergonomics were the primary problems. I don't know the terrain you are looking at. Hope it works, jenb.

I also have this same cooler and it can be a pain even dealing with it on rough paved surfaces.

While I am an admirer of ingenuity and creativity sometimes practicality just makes more sense and there are products out there specifically tailored for the purpose that are going to work way better than that cooler.

As mentioned, I've used one of these before fir a whole summer of disc golf and it was ok on cart friendly courses like those I tend to play. The previous one looked just like this one but was smaller. I thought I was getting the same thing again but it is large enough I could see it being too heavy if I really load it up. I'll just avoid doing that and report back if it doesn't work for me.

I lost the wheels on the old one when I took it hunting in some tall grass. The wheels came off and I didn't even realize it at first because it was just sliding across the grass without a whole lot of effort.

Plan B

That didn't work out so well. Mounting the discs on the handle made it top heavy enough that I had to put significant weight in the bottom part just to keep it upright. And then my friends are like, "you have this big cooler so let's all put our drinks and ice in it!" It was a chore to pull it even on pavement. Grass was a major effort. Don't get me started on gravel.

Plan B is to find a cooler small enough to fit under the seat of my GTGT Go Cart. Something with strap anchors built in. Any suggestions?

I know this wasn't part of your original plan, but I've been using this setup for about 16-18 months. It works in just about any ground conditions and is light enough for me to carry over a creek if needed. I even took it up and down Buckthorn and a few other Colorado courses.

My problem with other cart styles is that I have back/hip problems and leaning over is often painful. I first used a stool because it kept the stuff up high, but even sliding a bag off my shoulder became difficult. I use some big clamps to hold the straps onto the 'forks' of the golf bag stabilizer (by the three red dots next to the towel) and rigged up a simple shelf to stop it from shifting side to side on inclines.

I love how interchangeable this is. I can add a bigger or smaller bag as needed and the bottom section of the golf bag holder works great for strapping down different-sized coolers. I can also attach just about anything - stool, umbrella, I have an Igloo water holder hanging from the handle, and wrapping a towel around the handle works perfectly for keeping hands dry. A small speaker in the cup holder and I've recently added a putter pouch hanging from the handle when I don't need the extra water.

This pic is from my prep for Colorado.

picture.php

That didn't work out so well. Mounting the discs on the handle made it top heavy enough that I had to put significant weight in the bottom part just to keep it upright. And then my friends are like, "you have this big cooler so let's all put our drinks and ice in it!" It was a chore to pull it even on pavement. Grass was a major effort. Don't get me started on gravel.

Plan B is to find a cooler small enough to fit under the seat of my GTGT Go Cart. Something with strap anchors built in. Any suggestions?

Lol......While pulling a wagon for a while, I had the same issue. Buddies carrying three or four beers were always trying to get them into the nice icy cooler.

I pull a GoCart. I have a small, lunch cooler with a hard sided insert. I use an Innova Competition bag
competition
and I am able to slide the cooler behind it.
imgres
I simply put some bungy cords spanning the two uprights between the wheels in back, to keep it in place. Easy removal to dump water and occasionally clean the cooler is important. I can stow about four bottles of water and ice or a six back with ice or a couple small freezy packs. The cooler I have also has a top zip pocket on the lid for small storage. It cannot be much taller than a can, since you have to be able to reach in to load or pull out a can or bottle.

I know this wasn't part of your original plan, but I've been using this setup for about 16-18 months. It works in just about any ground conditions and is light enough for me to carry over a creek if needed. I even took it up and down Buckthorn and a few other Colorado courses.

My problem with other cart styles is that I have back/hip problems and leaning over is often painful. I first used a stool because it kept the stuff up high, but even sliding a bag off my shoulder became difficult. I use some big clamps to hold the straps onto the 'forks' of the golf bag stabilizer (by the three red dots next to the towel) and rigged up a simple shelf to stop it from shifting side to side on inclines.

I love how interchangeable this is. I can add a bigger or smaller bag as needed and the bottom section of the golf bag holder works great for strapping down different-sized coolers. I can also attach just about anything - stool, umbrella, I have an Igloo water holder hanging from the handle, and wrapping a towel around the handle works perfectly for keeping hands dry. A small speaker in the cup holder and I've recently added a putter pouch hanging from the handle when I don't need the extra water.

This pic is from my prep for Colorado.

picture.php

I'm just delving into this subject of an engineer. I saw a lot of cool robots and it inspires me. Also read about biomedical engineering, used https://paperap.com/free-papers/biomedical-engineering/ for that. So far I'm learning and any help will be useful for me. Every day I discover something new and I like it.
Wow, robot transformer

Wow, robot transformer

I've changed this setup some for summer rounds in Texas. I use a smaller Grip bag for discs but have added a bolf cart hanging bag that is designed to attach to the pole on the back. It holds first aid kit, a few rarely-thrown discs and other accessories. It also has a cooler section that does ok without ice for snacks and a can of cold brew. I've removed the cooler from the front attachment and put a jug of water there, and I added a Towch to the top assembly as a putter pouch.

Sorry for bumping the thread. How about using some heavy-duty Velcro straps to secure the power pocket to the double pole handle on your rolling cooler? Just wrap them around the handle and through the loops on the power pocket. It should provide a secure and detachable attachment. However, I must admit that I'm not the best when it comes to DIY projects.