• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Army surplus straps

I looked at our local surplus store, and all they had were the Y types, which wouldn't work on either my Fade Tourney, or my previous Innova Deluxe. I found some cool looking H types online, but between the price for the straps, and shipping, I may as well get the Phenix Quads. I wish my local store had some of the H's, because I like to touch and feel new to me stuff before I buy. I even asked an ex-military friend who's now a cop where I might find some locally, and he said it might be tough, because the military hasn't used them in 10 or 12 years, and the Y's were much more common.

Was there a reason you preferred the H-type over the Y-type, or will the Y-type work just as well? I really like that set-up!

The "Y-type" may work on some bags, but due to how far apart the two connectors on the "y" strap can reach, they will not work on all bags. If you get the "H-type" they are sure to work.

"Y-type" straps:
13064.jpg

I've had my army surplus backpack straps for about 3 years and love them. They don't have padding like the expensive ones do, but they only cost me $5 and they really last. Mine are still in excellent condition and I golf a LOT!

I have the straps in the pic above and I had to buy a couple climbing clips to make them long enough to fit on my current bag. But the straps fit perfectly on my previous bag.

In my opinion, they're the best deal and most durable backpack straps.

Last edited:
Here's another pic of the Y part on this bag. There is about a 12-13" spread on this, so it definitely won't work on the larger bags.

fadeCrunch_Suspenders2.jpg

I've seen locals use the Y straps by adding carabiners(aka snap link) to them, giving them more reach.
carabiner.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another pic of the Y part on this bag. There is about a 12-13" spread on this, so it definitely won't work on the larger bags.

Shouldn't the "Y" part be attached to the other points on the back of the bag? This way the two free ends attach near the flap and don't obstruct access to the discs.

That's how mine is set up and it works great. Granted, it's kind of backwards of how you think it should be.

I've seen locals use the Y straps by adding carabiners(aka snap link) to them, giving them more reach.
carabiner.jpg

i did the same thing with my revo carolina bag and it works perfectly fine. i didn't even have the carabiners at first. i only added them recently to take a little of the pressure off of the roll cage (they squeeze it in a little) but getting discs out isn't obstructed in any way.

and these rothco straps are CRAZY DURABLE. if you look at just the stitching on the seams it's far more heavy duty than anything you'll see on other straps.

I've actually turned my straps to like this. Fits a little better on my back but it does impede disc retrieval a little (but still very workable). I have a Innova Deluxe with the discs horizontal.

carabiner.jpg

I can't believe I forgot about that, that will definitely help out.

Latest posts