• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

As good as an ace (eagle)

MikeR

Bogey Member
Yesterday morning I was up early for a ski expedition in the back country. When my friend got here to pick me up, he asked if I wanted to play a round at Fir Meadows. I thought, hey, it's a great sunny morning, lets do it, even if I am a little groggy.

So hole number 1, a par 4 that's slightly uphill, reasonably long and has lots of trees with 3 narrow approaches is up first. I decide to rip a roc and lay up for a high percentage approach shot - often bird this one in this manner. Only lately I've worked on my technique and am ripping discs much more effortlessly. So the roc goes straight another 70' or so past where I'd intended to fade it and ends up closer to the pin on the furthest of the three alleys (very lucky a tree didn't knock it down). Leaves me within putting range, although looong putt. Being groggy I don't think about it, just pick up the trusty Aviar and throw it like I'm throwing a pass in Ultimate. I watch in disbelief as "ting" it hits the tonal for the first Eagle I've had on this course (possibly anyone other than the ace on one of the par 3's).

I was quite happy with that and continued my round. Pars all the way through till 9, then a couple birds resulting from my longer drives. Pick up one more bird on the very long par 5 and end up achieving my goal for the year of -5 on the course. Guess it's time to work on next year's goal.

Interestingly, coming back from the ski trip today (overnight in a snow cave we dug), we decided to play another round. My buddy picked up an Eagle on #7, a long narrow fairway that you can bird as long as you can stay dead straight (of course I can't count the number of times I've seen folks get off line and end up in the trees struggling to get back). Overall a great weekend.

Nockamixon Doubles has an Eagle Pot as aces are only possible on 1/3 of the holes.....for that matter the Aces are far more difficult than aces. All you everything is par 3 guys need to step up and play a real course.

Nockamixon Doubles has an Eagle Pot as aces are only possible on 1/3 of the holes.....for that matter the Aces are far more difficult than aces. All you everything is par 3 guys need to step up and play a real course.

should read the Eagles are far more difficult than the aces.....my bad! I am beginning to think the par 3 midwest is full of sissy courses?

all holes are par 3!

Whatever floats yer boat. You can call it the very first bird anyone's had on the hole and I'll call it the very first Eagle. If you are every in the area I'll guide you around the course. I might even be able to find the only guy to get below par on this course by your criteria to come along with us (he's the guy that got the eagle today, oops, I mean long bird).

Congrats. How long is the hole and how long was your second shot?

Congrats. How long is the hole and how long was your second shot?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3300&mode=hi

It's listed as 403' (first hole). The second shot was around 80' (I think?). Due to the layout of the trees (very wooded area) this isn't an easy hole for RHBH throwers, but LHBH you can do a few tricks to get you in for a bird fairly regularly. Of the par 4's on the course, I consider it the easiest by far. So far this is the first eagle we (locals) know about on this one though.

I am beginning to think the par 3 midwest is full of sissy courses?

Midwesterners could not handle Iron Hill...they can't count that high!
What's with the bagging on the Midwest. Some Midwesterner steal your lunch money?

also: check out ozark mountain, designed by the gateway owner. only par 72 in the world and try gettin under par

My home course in Centralia, IL is a par 72 from the long tees with only 5 or 6 par 3s depending on the pin placements.

Both in the "sissy" midwest I might add.

I strongly disagree that every hole is a par 3. If you've ever played Milo, you know what I'm talking about. The 1100 foot hole is definitely a par 5.

In a casual round, sure, because it makes scoring easier, but in competitive play, I've seen quite a few legitimate par 4s and 5s.

Latest posts