• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Ask Gateway!

No they helped my school. My kids are currently learning disc golf with discs they sold me and when the baskets were destroyed I was able to sell a few spares to make the repairs.
Innova just kept throwing the Edge program at me and it did not suit my needs.

These are an excellent series of questions. Sadly, I don't have time right now to come up with an appropriately detailed response, but I promise it will be done soon.

Thanks, sorry if it was too detailed - I know I asked enough to write a short dissertation in response. I look forward to your reply, on your timeline. Please don't feel obligated to answer it all in line with the rest.

Got any plans for a mid between the Scout and Warrior in stability? I think that's the sweet spot most players are looking for in a mid... I know I do.

I do like the Scout though. Good straight shooting mid with a great feel. (Honestly though--not crazy about the stamp)

Looking forward to trying a Slayer.

Welcome to the site and thanks for putting yourself in the spotlight. It takes guts to throw yourself to the wolves. I have a few questions and will try to keep things brief. Please don't take any of this as an insult. I really love Wizards and have had a few in my bag since my first throw with them. I have a collection of ~40, and they're in a variety of plastics, firmness, and tooling (and love and throw them all). With that said,

--I've noticed over the last year or two that the newer runs of Wizards fly more like seasoned Wizards when they're new. I've thrown a couple Voodoos that are more overstable. I miss the more overstable (when new) fliers. Any chance there can be something done to re-"stabilize" this mold?

--Do you still have the older, large and small tooled molds in the factory? Any plans for (begging and pleading) a limited edition re-run of either? This isn't to say that the current mold isn't great (a good majority of mine are the current tooled mold), because it is. I just would love to have a few more options. I'd buy a stack of both toolings.

--The last few Glows I've bought left me wanting a LOT more in terms of glow duration. The older glows were like little nuclear reactors. Anything you can do to return to the glow greatness of the past?

--Any chance to re-run any more firm, red organics (if you re-ran them in the small circle tooled mold I might just have a heart attack and die from excitement!)? They are amazing but were run in such a limited quantity that I won't throw mine any more because I can't replace it.

Can you get the deal if you don't have a facebook?

Can you make a fairway driver version of the wizard? :)

Can you make a wizard with the durability of hpp plastic with the grip of S? Maybe you could texture a mold top like the old infernos or the ninja along the outer edge..

Two years ago we went with Voodoos, Warlocks, and Magics for our league putters. They came out really nice despite some communication problems on our end. We still have them all. However, last year and going into this year I went in a different direction for putters, especially since I was blaming the putters and not puttee (not really, but it makes me feel better to blame the putter).

Anyway, I am sticking with my light Pro Pig but I have also rediscovered the SSS Wizard. These two play incredibly well together. What you need is more black with gold stamp. I took the only one left in the store. I am not a big fan of the Softs and most of the Super Softs because they are a little too hard for my tastes and most of them are on the smooth side (I like the roughed up top where my thumb sits), but the SSS batch we have in the store are absolutely perfect, just not the colors I want.

i bought a "prototype mid" the rim says e-scout. i took it to disc nation and it looks nothing like any mids there and def not a scout, do you know what it is? the profile is kind of like a buzz meets a zone and its gota a little dome in the center

Figures the first question answered has to do with Selling discs....

Anyway, I love Wizards, I carry 3 in my bag at all times.

My Question is why is there such an inconsistancy in the softness of your putters? I have two SS that are completely different, a SSS that feels like one of my Supersofts, and a Soft Wizard that is stiffer than other's I have thrown? Why can't I trust the stamp? There is one store around me that just started carrying a small number of gateway putters so its been difficult to buy online and know and trust what i'm getting.

We've made hundreds of runs of each discs and there sure to be some variations between runs. While we try to match the flexibility with the surface firmness (the actual measurement for our discs) some SS or less or more flexible then other but all would be in between 85-90 A shore if you check.
anything below would be a SSS which could be all the way down to 75 and what players would call a 1 or 4 S. current runs on the shelf of SSS are really flexible.

I'll give you a few scenarios that could effect flexibility.
One is color, some of our colors are PP based some our LDPE and some are EVA. this can cause variations. I bought a 1/2 truckload of color ( about 22,000 lbs) enough to last a few years as you only use a few lbs per batch,,, some really sweet colors just different carriers and dispersion rates which also effect flow rates.

We also bland each batch and tumble in in a barrel (Typically about 50 KG) often using 3 ,4 or even 5 different polymers ,,,,lets say we are shooting for a SS 175 and it winds up weighing 170,, we could adjust injection speed, injection pressure, back pressure, return screw speed, hold time, hot tip temperature or shot size to increase the weight to 175g, there may be any number of reasons you may use one or another, but by doing so you could get a disc that is more flexible because it is packed out a bit more than say,,, you mixed a batch and it weighed closer to 180g and you needed to reduce the weight,, which would produce discs that are less packed out and there for more flexible.
In either case the hardness of the actual polymer would be the really close to the same on the surface.

If the batch mixed is off by more than 6 or 7 grams we would typically reformulate the entire batch as opposed to trying to adjust it mechanically.

so in a nut shell,,, human error.

its also true that at time the polymers we get from our suppliers can change,, especially when you are compounding high loads of mineral,,, our polymer density in a disc like the Wizard is 1.4 specific gravity,,, not something on a shelf or \ a million LBS of sitting in a ware house that is ALL the SAME!
We dont make the polymers just try and use them to our best abilities.

I'm sure most of you know by now that every company ,,,and I mean EVERY company,,,, has a hard time repeating runs,,,I think we are the only company that offers 4 different hardness of High end Rubber in each putter mold.
we could probably be more consistent if we only had 2 of each but I don't think anyone wants us reducing our flex/hardness to just 2.
I'd say our runs over the last year and 1/2 have been a lot more consistent as the run sizes have been increased.

I hope this helps,,,,David Mac

i mentioned it over on disc golf review, but a run or 2 of wizards with the oldschool g stamp off centered like some of the dynamic discs stamped wizards would be awesome. any chance you could print up some of the gateway drifits that you always see nikko wearing? haha some that us mere mortals could buy?

edited: and maybe a run of the clear hpp again, those are getting kind of tough to find.

we get a lot of requests for smaller understated stamps, but the online Sellers complain if the art does not meet their pictures they have for web dev.

personally I'd produce a lot more stamps if we didn't get these complaints and we do,, they are just not available from each seller.

I'll think about the off center G's and we are always trying to get Nikko to do more with his line,,, but he likes to practice and win events more than selling stuff.. currently we have 3 or 4 transfers we are putting on tee shorts that would also look good on dri fits so its just around the corner.

Got any plans for a mid between the Scout and Warrior in stability? I think that's the sweet spot most players are looking for in a mid... I know I do.

I do like the Scout though. Good straight shooting mid with a great feel. (Honestly though--not crazy about the stamp)

Looking forward to trying a Slayer.

its awfully tough to make one stamp that meets the desires of the wide demographics of todays disc golfer,,, feel free to send us any cool ideas you may have :0

Welcome to the site and thanks for putting yourself in the spotlight. It takes guts to throw yourself to the wolves. I have a few questions and will try to keep things brief. Please don't take any of this as an insult. I really love Wizards and have had a few in my bag since my first throw with them. I have a collection of ~40, and they're in a variety of plastics, firmness, and tooling (and love and throw them all). With that said,

--I've noticed over the last year or two that the newer runs of Wizards fly more like seasoned Wizards when they're new. I've thrown a couple Voodoos that are more overstable. I miss the more overstable (when new) fliers. Any chance there can be something done to re-"stabilize" this mold?

we went back to a thinner flight plate starting about 20,000 wizards ago,,, about 4 months,,,,98% of the people wouldnt be able to tell the difference and certainly not if they had to bet there paychecks on which was which.

Not sure if the thinner flight plate makes them less or more overstable,,, maybe your throwing harder or with more spin or better technique.

--Do you still have the older, large and small tooled molds in the factory? Any plans for (begging and pleading) a limited edition re-run of either? This isn't to say that the current mold isn't great (a good majority of mine are the current tooled mold), because it is. I just would love to have a few more options. I'd buy a stack of both toolings.

probably not any Wizards around the shop that dont have the current ( insert engraving),, we could take it out and put in a blank and it would appear to be first runs prototypes without any engraving and we could put the arch stamp on them,,, would that be something you would be interested in?

--The last few Glows I've bought left me wanting a LOT more in terms of glow duration. The older glows were like little nuclear reactors. Anything you can do to return to the glow greatness of the past?

the company that we used to get the glow from got sued for patent infringement,, the actual holder of the patents charges about twice as much for about 2/3rds the amount of glow,,, how much would you want top pay for one $20 each????

--Any chance to re-run any more firm, red organics (if you re-ran them in the small circle tooled mold I might just have a heart attack and die from excitement!)? They are amazing but were run in such a limited quantity that I won't throw mine any more because I can't replace it.

throw them you only live once!!!

We decided that organic should be all green and try not to run any other putters in green. is it the red or the firmness???

with anough requests or demands we will run anything,, if you wanna come down and work all weekend one weekend I'll let you or anyone else mix and blend and make kick ass stuff until you black out,,, is this something you would be interested in???

whats that worth to a frisbee freak???
:)

Can you get the deal if you don't have a facebook?

Can you make a fairway driver version of the wizard? :)

yes and probably now,,,can you describe what a fairway version of the wizard wold be like?

if you mean straight we have the Sabre or assassin.

if you mean deep rim depth,,, Ive often thought about deep rimmed drivers and mid ranges,, but it adds so much mass that they could not be produced out of TPU ( they would weigh ,,,way too much)

Two years ago we went with Voodoos, Warlocks, and Magics for our league putters. They came out really nice despite some communication problems on our end. We still have them all. However, last year and going into this year I went in a different direction for putters, especially since I was blaming the putters and not puttee (not really, but it makes me feel better to blame the putter).

Anyway, I am sticking with my light Pro Pig but I have also rediscovered the SSS Wizard. These two play incredibly well together. What you need is more black with gold stamp. I took the only one left in the store. I am not a big fan of the Softs and most of the Super Softs because they are a little too hard for my tastes and most of them are on the smooth side (I like the roughed up top where my thumb sits), but the SSS batch we have in the store are absolutely perfect, just not the colors I want.

we will basically take back any of our discs in return for something else you may want ( as long as youve had it 60 days on a shelf),,, if you need our shipper # email me at [email protected]

i would totally do that although i'm sure i would break something so i would need a guy telling me NO DON"T DO THAT a lot. next time i decide it might be a good idea to drive really far away i'll let ya know.

if you could order only five or ten discs from yourself.. what would you pick?

what is the deal with the crazy speed demon i have? it's definitely a test run of some plastic that didn't come out. only info is speed demon and the weight in sharpie on the rim. clear, hard plastic, like champion from innova. not like hpp or the regular plastic. no logo printed on top...and it's dead flat. almost concave. some bubbles in the rim and a small dip in the flight plate. so maybe this plastic never worked out. i know it's at least a few years old...not positive the exact timeframe. anything?

can you send a picture?

Latest posts