• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask John Houck about Course Design & Development

My question is, what is best practice for measuring distance from the tee to the basket?

Thanks

Hi, Bob --

I'm going to give you another "it depends" answer. The important thing is to give the player the best information. If it's a one-shot hole, even if it requires a big sweeping curve, I prefer to give the direct line tee-to-basket distance and let the player adjust for whatever extra distance he's going to add by not throwing a direct line.

When it's a two-shot or three-shot hole, I try to tell the player how far he's going to need to throw, meaning that if it's a dogleg, I'll measure the distance along the fairway.

Where it gets most tricky for me is a hole like #3 at Texas Twist, where you can go 419' over the water to the basket, or you can go a total of 512' through the woods and then over the corner of the water. Since I expect most people to take the woods route, I put 512' on the sign and called it a par 4. But that doesn't tell people who are thinking about going for it how far they'll need to throw. I've never put two distances on a tee sign like that, but I've been very tempted.

John
What do you typically do when hired to re-design an existing course that is heavily wooded ? Are you inclined to use what is already been cleared, or block it out and start from scratch.

Mando,

That just depends on the job and what they want, and I'd treat it the same way whether it's wooded or open. Whenever cost of clearing is an issue, my decision-making has to take that factor into account. Obviously, I never want to spend the client's money frivolously.

Generally, if I'm going to put my name on a course, or even a hole, I want to feel like it's 100% in line with my design principles and style, which means I'd probably be inclined to start from scratch, unless the course has areas that are already cleared the way I would have done it. So far, I haven't been hired for many re-designs, but it looks like I may have a few coming up, so let's see what happens.

Hi, Bob --

I'm going to give you another "it depends" answer. The important thing is to give the player the best information. If it's a one-shot hole, even if it requires a big sweeping curve, I prefer to give the direct line tee-to-basket distance and let the player adjust for whatever extra distance he's going to add by not throwing a direct line.

When it's a two-shot or three-shot hole, I try to tell the player how far he's going to need to throw, meaning that if it's a dogleg, I'll measure the distance along the fairway.

Where it gets most tricky for me is a hole like #3 at Texas Twist, where you can go 419' over the water to the basket, or you can go a total of 512' through the woods and then over the corner of the water. Since I expect most people to take the woods route, I put 512' on the sign and called it a par 4. But that doesn't tell people who are thinking about going for it how far they'll need to throw. I've never put two distances on a tee sign like that, but I've been very tempted.

John, have you seen the new tee signs at Trophy Lakes? Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the new ones (the pics on DGCR are older tees) but for those with water carries they give you the overall distance like normal, but then on the pic itself they show the various distances for the water carries with distance to the water and distance for the total carry with dashed lines similar to a CAD drawing. I thought it was an EXCELLENT amount of information for those deciding to layup or try the carry. This would fit perfect for the hole you described as you could show the direct to pin distance as 419' and leave the tee as listed at 512'.

Hi John. Tweener holes came up in a different thread. I know it's been discussed in many articles and in many threads, so I don't know that you really need to respond anything. But I just didn't have a better place to put this graphical analysis of your hole designs.

houckholes_zpsfd5b77df.jpg

Selah holes in the 376-525 range:
Lake 9 - Tight tee shot, narrow fairway, anhyzer hook approach.
Lake 14 - Lots of trees.
Creek 12 - Uphill.

Rodney, thanks for compiling that. The three holes that you pick out are par fours with at least one factor mitigating the distance. As you know, you're not likely to see a 376' par three from me unless it's downhill or made for Gold level.

Lakeside #9, as you say, is tight and has a lot of curve on the approach (which essentially adds distance). It has also has small landing areas. You want to drive about 280' and approach about 215'.

Lakeside #14 (everyone's favorite) is tight off the tee, has small landing areas, and has even tighter uphill approaches. You want to drive about 270' and approach about 155'.

Creekside #12 is moderately tight on the drive and slightly uphill maybe 320' and then steeper uphill another 200'. This hole is more "snakey" than the other two, so you can definitely try to get more D on the drive.

Hi John,
As an avid course designer I have found your articles to be very informative. I tend to go back and reread them as a refresher as well. I appreciate you taking the time to write them as there doesn't seem to be much literature out on disc golf course design at the moment (or atleast that I can find).

My question to you is: unlike ball golf, course designers don't have the luxury to design a course just as they'd like. Adding trees, sand, brush, etc. where they like. We tend to have to make the best out of the land provided. Sometimes this means having very open holes where the park is mostly open with just tall brush and a few trees here and there. Do you have any tips on how to make an open hole still be challenging? Possibly by shaping the fairway a certain way or maybe keeping brush patches on the fairways in key areas?

Thank you.

I'm so glad that you find those articles helpful -- that's why we do them. I appreciate Randy Signor and Brian Graham and the rest of the PDGA for wanting to make that kind of information available to their readers. And I appreciate Rick Rothstein for that same thing going back into the '90's.

It can be tricky to make holes in the open that are fun and challenging. Two things I've noticed that stick out to me:

1. Some courses have a wide open Hole #1 and then a bunch of holes in the woods. I would think very hard about walking an extra 100 yards and starting the course closer to the trees.

2. When you have a few scattered trees, you get more mileage out of them when you use them by tee than if you use them by the basket. If you use them on the tee, you can actually shape the shot. When you use them by the basket, unless they're good and wide, you just create a flukey situation where one good shot hits the tree and an almost identical good shot misses the tree.

The good news, as I mentioned in my last article, is that I'm finding property owners much more willing to plant trees than they've been in the past. Just in the last year, Little Elm planted over 40, I think; Trey Texas did more than 50 over two courses; and Tall Firs (which opens in a week from today) did about 130.

Of course, the trees need to be big enough to make a difference, so I insist on at least 2 1/2" caliper and 8' of height. Bigger is better, but those can make a difference off the tee, as long as a player is throwing backhand or sidearm and not something upside down. By the basket, I'll want to use them in groups to get good width, and focus in areas where the shot will already be low. Don't forget to plan for future growth of those trees.

I've also found property owners more willing to move dirt, and that can help in open areas. Simple mounds can create places being on or behind the mound could result tricky footing and/or a tricky shot and/or a blind shot. I haven't used that technique yet -- fortunately, I haven't needed to.

It's actually coincidental that you ask about this topic, as my NEXT article is going to be solutions for open areas. Tall Firs used to be a golf course, and a lot of it is wide open. It's also only about 23 acres, including the pond (and it's surrounded by homes, which makes it much smaller), so putting in a championship-style course was a challenge.

The classic answer for creating fun and challenging holes in a wide open area is artificial OB, and the classic example is the USDGC. I've been watching some of the Smashboxx.tv and DGPTV coverage from Blue Lake, and obviously there's a ton of it there, too. But that's not something you'd want for casual play. I try to reserve artificial OB as a last resort. I did use it at Tall Firs, but we made the in-bounds areas as wide as we possibly could, and you'll only be OB if you made a really bad shot and are in someone else's fairway.

The big thing at Tall Firs was finding a way to give players an incentive to stay in their own fairway while not giving them a penalty stroke for a small mistake. So what we did on several holes was to create a zone in between fairways that would be undesirable but not too penal. I'll explain it in the next article, and once I've written it, I'll explain it here, too. For now, I hope that helps a little.

Hi, John. I was talking to a friend who runs a scout troop that has the city mayor on the local boy scout council. He said they get whatever they want from the city. I half jokingly mentioned getting a course installed locally as an eagle scout project and he seemed to really like the idea. Have you ever worked with a scout troop on such a project? Is it something you would consider doing?

Hi, Jennifer. It's so good to hear from you.

First of all, I want to say a big Congratulations on your victory at the US Masters in April. Please forgive me for not writing to you sooner. I was glad to see your success (and in very convincing fashion, by the way).

We have talked to Scout groups, and we would be happy to talk to yours. I was a Scout myself, and in fact, Dee and I are working with one group right now on their tee signs. I think it's GREAT that the Scouts have included disc golf in their programs, and that they're encouraging the installation of new courses. I just think that their program isn't quite perfected yet. The truth is that there are some courses out there in city parks, designed by Scouts, that are -- how can I say this -- not among the best courses in the country. And that's not the Scout's fault ; there's no reason that an Eagle Scout would know how to design a good course, any more than I'd know how to design a functional circuit board. So we would be more than happy to talk to them about putting in a course, and we would do everything we could to make sure that the Scouts involved learn as much as they can about service and leadership and all the things Eagle Scouts are there to learn.

Congrats again, and talk to you soon.

John, have you seen the new tee signs at Trophy Lakes? Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the new ones (the pics on DGCR are older tees) but for those with water carries they give you the overall distance like normal, but then on the pic itself they show the various distances for the water carries with distance to the water and distance for the total carry with dashed lines similar to a CAD drawing. I thought it was an EXCELLENT amount of information for those deciding to layup or try the carry. This would fit perfect for the hole you described as you could show the direct to pin distance as 419' and leave the tee as listed at 512'.

Hi, Tim. Thanks for that information. I had no idea.

I haven't been to DFW in a while, but I would like to see that course and their signs. I hope to be working in Oklahoma later this year, so I may be able to stop by on my way through.

I guess I've always thought of that kind of detail as being caddy book-type information. But let's be honest; most DG courses don't have caddy books. I'll look forward to seeing those signs; maybe someone can post some pictures before then.

10564918_10100958369561906_725540688_n.jpg

This is my solution.... for the above problem:

On the pic above, the green areas are where we made a mistake on hole distance. Yellow circles are current baskets, orange lines are fairway. Blue line is where I made a change in line to new basket, which is blue circle. On hole 8, the new pad is the blue box.

Hey, Goose.

I'm so sorry it's taken this long to get back to you. You've probably already made your changes, but analyzing your problem might still be valuable for others in case they find themselves in a similar situation.

I just don't see any circles or orange lines -- did you delete the photo, or am I just missing something?

Hi, Jennifer. It's so good to hear from you.

First of all, I want to say a big Congratulations on your victory at the US Masters in April. Please forgive me for not writing to you sooner. I was glad to see your success (and in very convincing fashion, by the way).

We have talked to Scout groups, and we would be happy to talk to yours. I was a Scout myself, and in fact, Dee and I are working with one group right now on their tee signs. I think it's GREAT that the Scouts have included disc golf in their programs, and that they're encouraging the installation of new courses. I just think that their program isn't quite perfected yet. The truth is that there are some courses out there in city parks, designed by Scouts, that are -- how can I say this -- not among the best courses in the country. And that's not the Scout's fault ; there's no reason that an Eagle Scout would know how to design a good course, any more than I'd know how to design a functional circuit board. So we would be more than happy to talk to them about putting in a course, and we would do everything we could to make sure that the Scouts involved learn as much as they can about service and leadership and all the things Eagle Scouts are there to learn.

Congrats again, and talk to you soon.

Thanks, John. I'll pass on the information that you have experience working with scouts and that you may be able to help them, depending on your availability.

Not sure if you've talked about the Carrollton, GA course on here, Hobbs Farm I believe?

I've seen pics of some of the clearing on facebook. Any thoughts about the land/course/anything?

Not sure if you've talked about the Carrollton, GA course on here, Hobbs Farm I believe?

I've seen pics of some of the clearing on facebook. Any thoughts about the land/course/anything?

Wow -- an easy question for a change. Thanks, Heartman.

That course is going to be awesome! Next question.

OK, here's the real update on Carrollton.

I finished the initial design phase in July, and clearing began last week.

One section of the park, which you can now see at the club's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HyzerHeine/), was so overgrown with kudzu -- often 8' high -- that I could not walk it.

I could handle the 12' privet, though it wasn't much fun to crawl through, but that kudzu was ridiculous. It's the first time in several years that I absolutely could not make my way through a property. So I guess I can't really say that I finished the initial design, since I still need to work on a few holes that were impenetrable.

The park is fantastic, and the City has been very supportive. One section of the park has great elevation; another section has a creek; and a third section has river access. All of it has mature trees and neat terrain features. And there will be a couple holes that are more open, so the mix it great.

Since it's Georgia, it definitely has an IDGC feel to me, and I think I can safely say that anyone who is a fan of the WR Jackson course will love Carrollton, too. Right now it's looking like a par of about 67, with two really nice par fives.

The last thing to point out there is that the people and the club are great. The two guys who have really made it happen, Eric Heine and David Goldberg, are truly amazing, and they have done an incredible job (not the least of which was spearheading the effort to win that $25,000 State Farm grant on Facebook). My hat is off to both of them. I also want to thank Kelly Leggete (Mr. Flyboy Aviation himself) for his contributions to this project.

see if you can do some miracle work with the parks dept in Coppell Texas. Andrew Brown has to be the worst course in the state.

Hi, Tim. Thanks for that information. I had no idea.

I haven't been to DFW in a while, but I would like to see that course and their signs. I hope to be working in Oklahoma later this year, so I may be able to stop by on my way through.

I guess I've always thought of that kind of detail as being caddy book-type information. But let's be honest; most DG courses don't have caddy books. I'll look forward to seeing those signs; maybe someone can post some pictures before then.

I'm referring to Trophy lakes in SC (John's Island / Charleston). Linked below.

Here is a very crude example of what they did. Note - the signs are much prettier than this....and I also just made up the distance #s to give you an idea. It stuck out in my mind as it was perfect info I needed at the time as I didn't have the arm for the carry so went they layup & play for par route.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=783

Attachments

• Sign example.jpg
    Sign example.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 36
see if you can do some miracle work with the parks dept in Coppell Texas. Andrew Brown has to be the worst course in the state.

Chopz, it's a shame what happened to that course. And I know you and I have discussed it before. Right now we're just too busy to approach the City. But I will keep it on my list. Hang in there.

I'm referring to Trophy lakes in SC (John's Island / Charleston). Linked below.

Here is a very crude example of what they did. Note - the signs are much prettier than this....and I also just made up the distance #s to give you an idea. It stuck out in my mind as it was perfect info I needed at the time as I didn't have the arm for the carry so went they layup & play for par route.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=783

Ah -- forgive me. I was thinking Trophy Club, not Trophy Lake.

Thanks for explaining the signs. Obviously that kind of information can be very helpful.

It did occur to me that, on holes where you encounter water on your second shot, you never really know what the distance to carry is, just as on most multi-shot holes you have to figure out on your own which disc to use and how hard to throw it. So there is an element of the sport where estimating distance without a laser, caddy book, or tee sign is part of the game. Tough call. Thanks again.

Chopz, it's a shame what happened to that course. And I know you and I have discussed it before. Right now we're just too busy to approach the City. But I will keep it on my list. Hang in there.

Thanks for the response and hopefully something can get worked out in the future

Hi John -- Odds of you buying Selah and making it the ultimate DG destination (even moreso than it already is)?

Well, Rodney, it's a little early to say, but I think the odds of the Bills winning the Super Bowl are higher. Check back with me in January, when those odds have probably equaled out.

Odds of the first HouckDesign course in Washington State opening in the next 72 hours? About the same as the temperature in Austin right now.

Odds of 3-6 more destination HouckDesign courses opening in the next year? Now those odds are pretty good.

Hope you're doing well.