• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask PDGA Board Member Peter Shive

He said " Now you say that you want the rules, and not the freedom." I was just debating the fact that I never said either, no biggie though. I was just saying it'd be nice to have a clear cut definition, and I'm aware this isn't always plausible. Good point David.

Pretty sure he wasn't saying 'you' as in yourself, but more like TDs in general.

Can't you just print the list before the event when the names and cities and states are listed?

Thanks for the suggestions. My suggestion to Peter that it simply be easier than it is. When someone from the community where I ran a tournament a week or to earlier asks for that information.

Could I print it out before registration closes? I guess I could. Just like i could have expected everyone showing up that requested a disc instead wants a tshirt. It would be nice if, when requested, we could easily print that information or send them a link.

Having run tournaments as far back 1991 and as recent as less than one month ago, I'd like to see it easier than it is. I would think the casual player that comes across the site would like that too. We all like to see someone from our home state or town do well.

Last edited:
Apology to skottyb

skottyb said, "I have had people curse me for having the 2 meter rule after that I wish it weren't my decision to make but the governing body of disc golf", and I inferred, in that case at least, that he preferred rules to freedom.

I'm going fast here and perhaps trying to infer too much from too little. If I step on toes, it is inadvertant, not deliberate, and also regretted.

I have no desire to offend here, or to come across as snippy. That would defeat my purpose, because I need all of you to contribute.

And krupika, I don't consider your post to be thread drift. That topic is important, and we're still learning about it.

Last edited:
For a few years before the 2m became optional in 2006, the Swedes had already rejected the blanket 2m penalty in force at the time. So two different rules existed internationally. As an active course designer, I saw the 2m rule as an element when designing challenges like OB and mandos. I talked with Carlton Howard, head of the PDGA Rules Committee at the time about making the 2m rule a design option similar to OB and Mandos. We thought this could be a way to bring the Swedes back in the fold and to break thru in the ongoing 2m Yea/Nay arguments which had been evenly split since the PDGA surveyed membership on this early in the century. The rest of the Rules Committee also agreed this was a way to resolve the conflict by simply making 2m rule a design option for a single tree, all trees on a hole or all trees on the course at the TDs discretion. I think the Pro Worlds in 2007 at Highbridge may have been the first time both the single tree and all trees on one hole options were used.

skottyb said, "I have had people curse me for having the 2 meter rule after that I wish it weren't my decision to make but the governing body of disc golf", and I inferred, in that case at least, that he preferred rules to freedom.

I'm going fast here and perhaps trying to infer too much from too little. If I step on toes, it is inadvertant, not deliberate, and also regretted.

I have no desire to offend here, or to come across as snippy. That would defeat my purpose, because I need all of you to contribute.

And krupika, I don't consider your post to be thread drift. That topic is important, and we're still learning about it.

My apologies Peter, I mistook what you were saying earlier, it's the internet, anything can be taken differently.

Thanks for the suggestions. My suggestion to Peter that it simply be easier than it is. When someone from the community where I ran a tournament a week or to earlier asks for that information.

Could I print it out before registration closes? I guess I could. Just like i could have expected everyone showing up that requested a disc instead wants a tshirt. It would be nice if, when requested, we could easily print that information or send them a link.

Having run tournaments as far back 1991 and as recent as less than one month ago, I'd like to see it easier than it is. I would think the casual player that comes across the site would like that too. We all like to see someone from our home state or town do well.

I'm sure Peter can pass on the request, but it would likely be quicker just to ask Steve Ganz on the PDGA board herehttp://www.pdga.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Good feedback on displaying the player locations. I'm constantly tweaking the display of information and always try to find the balance between too much and not enough. We're working on a redesign that will make it easier to display additional information like player location at higher screen resolutions while optimizing for mobile devices and displaying only the most pertinent information at lower screen resolutions as well.

In the mean time, if you're a tournament director and want to get a list of your players' location information before, during and after the event, I would recommend checking out the new Players list in the recently updated PDGA Tournament Manager. You can also contact me directly and request this information for past events that have been officially processed. I'd be happy to provide it to you in whatever format you'd like.

Maybe. Everytime I've tried to get on the PDGA discussion board it tells me my user name and/or password isn't correct. I've never been able to get someone to correct it for me so i just don't use that feature.
Contact me directly and I'll get this fixed for you.

Peter why did you oppose the deal that disc golf would be working with a pro beach volleyball tour to be on tv?

to stevetclark:

You are probably referring to a proposal for the PDGA to work with DGP.tv to produce video that would be broadcast on regional sports TV networks like the ones that broadcast the EVP tour.

I have some problems with our disc golf TV approach. I felt that the message this one sends is, "You could watch disc golf on TV, if you happen to live in some particular part of the country, and if you happen to have a particular channel as part of your cable package, and if you happen to be awake at some particular time, and if you wouldn't rather be doing (or watching) something else at that particular time". I didn't believe that it was worth the additional expense, especially as we are already supporting a community TV effort.

one month anniversary

It has been one month since I started this thread on DGCR. In that time I've had the same number of views, and 30% more posts, than I had during sixteen months on the PDGA Discussion Board.

Food for thought. Any satisfaction I might have about productive communication with the disc golf community must be tempered by some regret that I did not start posting here much sooner.

Anyhow. keep the questions coming. I'm enjoying this, and learning a great deal.

It has been one month since I started this thread on DGCR. In that time I've had the same number of views, and 30% more posts, than I had during sixteen months on the PDGA Discussion Board.

Food for thought. Any satisfaction I might have about productive communication with the disc golf community must be tempered by some regret that I did not start posting here much sooner.

Anyhow. keep the questions coming. I'm enjoying this, and learning a great deal.

You realize that the beginning of the end for the PDGA forum occurred under your term as moderator.

I also applaud your "No" vote on the DGP.tv bid....due to the lack of quality and the guy heading the operation.

You might have had more posts, and views were it not for a couple guys named Michael and Paul who have also been answering questions. :p

Has the Pdga been contacted by any major sport retailers or companies looking to get into the disc manufacturing or disc golf advertisements?

to dmbrun2:

You asked, "Has the Pdga been contacted by any major sport retailers or companies looking to get into the disc manufacturing or disc golf advertisements?"

Not to my knowledge.

One day they ought to hold an all-expenses-paid tournament just for veteran TDs. Imagine how much fun we'd have swapping horror stories during the delays. And whoever ran it might have the most grateful and rules-compliant group of players ever assembled.

Cool. Though with my luck, if it ever happens it'll be while I'm running a tournament.

A prophet is not honored in his own land. How the *##*! did the Director's Cup end up on a weekend I'm running a tournament 70 miles away?

This is a great site, frequented by tons of avid players - you'll really reach your intended audience here.

A prophet is not honored in his own land. How the *##*! did the Director's Cup end up on a weekend I'm running a tournament 70 miles away?
I read this and couldn't help but laugh, but you genuinely have my sympathy Dave.

Last edited:
I read this and couldn't help but laugh, but you genuinely have my sympathy Dave.

Thanks. I'm not certain whether the Director's Cup was already in the works, or my flippant post sparked an idea in someone's head, but if the latter it is certainly ironic. Ah, well. Perhaps we'll cancel our charity event and attend, where we'll have something else to talk about with the other TDs.

None of which should be taken as anything more than bemusement. The calendar is quite crowded around here and though I understand the neighboring state coordinators are in touch with each other, conflicts are inevitable.

On the other hand---why oh why oh why.....me?

Latest posts