• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Assigning pars to a course without them

Watch ball golf. That'll explain the how and why. It's gimmicky to have all par 3's IMO.

Par is defined as: the number of strokes a first-class player should normally require for a particular hole or course.

Match the score to a number that is reasonable for first class players. Another train of thought is "if you can't ace it, it should probably be a par 4+".

If numbers don't matter to you, do you not get excited when you ace a hole? It's just a number after all. Or do you care when you go on a streak and get a bunch of birdie 2's? What happens when you have the mentality that you want to birdie every hole (high level competitors have this mindset, right?) and they step up to a par 3 700' hole?

Only problem is that we don't play BALL GOLF. You lay up to save that par buddy, when erry one else on the card is going for a three and you are turning in 800 rounds you'll see the folly of your ways.

Happy new year!

Only problem is that we don't play BALL GOLF. You lay up to save that par buddy, when erry one else on the card is going for a three and you are turning in 800 rounds you'll see the folly of your ways.

Happy new year!

I'm 840 rated, so that's about right. It isn't folly, it's skill level and I'm comfortable with it. I try to improve every time I go out, and have done so tremendously over the last year (imagine how bad I was a year ago - driving 200-225' and couldn't putt to save my life. Now I can hit 350-375' and am a decent putter). You go ahead and go for three and I'll see you at the basket when you're carding a 5 because of the trees. :)

Would you agree that the premise of disc golf is based on ball golf? Or is it a completely different game with no relation whatsoever? Because that is where the train of thought comes from. :)

Or say you're talking to your dad after a round.

"How'd you play out there today, son?"
"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a 59, dad."
"I wish your mother had had an abortion."

"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a par 54 course, so I was +5."
"That's not too hot. Better luck next time. I still love you, though."

"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a par 68 course, so I was -9."
"Wow, that's pretty great. You're truly my favorite child."

Would you agree that the premise of disc golf is based on ball golf? Or is it a completely different game with no relation whatsoever? Because that is where the train of thought comes from. :)

Ronnie, you are kicking a dead horse!! Don't you see that a 225' hole is no different than a 1060' foot hole? Geez.....why is that so hard to understand? (lots of sarcasm in this statement, in case you didn't pick up on it)

Or say you're talking to your dad after a round.

"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a 59, dad."
"I wish your mother had had an abortion."

"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a par 54 course, so I was +5."
"That's not too hot. Better luck next time. I still love you, though."

"Oh, I shot a 59."
"Is that good?"
"It's a par 68 course, so I was -9."
"Wow, that's pretty great. You're truly my favorite child."

I think Todd, gets it.....

Par is defined as: the number of strokes a first-class player should normally require for a particular hole or course.

Match the score to a number that is reasonable for first class players. Another train of thought is "if you can't ace it, it should probably be a par 4+".

This is, of course, part of our problem.

We have no universally agreed upon and applied definition of par. There must be at least a dozen methods being promoted. Some of them, particularly the PDGA's, are terribly vague. Even your definitions conflict.

And agreeing upon a standard should be the easy part. Getting it applied to all courses seems virtually impossible. So it's hard to see par being translatable from course to course. And if it's not, it matters much less.

Don't get me wrong---it would be good to have a consistent system of par. Not important, but beneficial.

I do agree that the premise is the same, but the reality is that there is no standard nor universally applied logic to determining appropriate par in DG. That's the root of it for me...if these things made sense, fine. But you've got AMs in their 2nd, 3rd year of playing carding -14s and it becomes clear that the system is flawed. Sure, you feel good about yourself when you do it, hell I know I did, but I personally felt that I began to make big strides in distance and accuracy when the scores "tightened up" because I started playing strokes and not for par.

Do what works for you, that's all that really matters anyway.

You go ahead and go for three and I'll see you at the basket when you're carding a 5 because of the trees.

First off, Im not being sarcastic or rude. But, I'm imagining this hypothetical hole is a par 4. You'd play it safe, stay in the fairway, card a 4, be happy with a par. Totally fine, and in the context of you vs. another player, is the smart play.

I, conversely, want to get a 3 so I take a risk, it backfires and I'm out with a 5 because of, presumably, a lapse in accuracy off the tee.

At some point in your DG life, you're gonna be sick and tired of getting a 4 on that hole, and you're going to try for the three as well...it's hitting a developmental plateau. You've likely already experienced it to some extent. Easy 3's become 50/50 2s...hard to reach 5s become automatic 4s. The easy par is only worth it if you want it to be.

It's me versus the course. I try really hard not to make mistakes. I've shot -5 on this 9 hole course and I've shot +6 on it as well. It all comes down to making the right plays. And for the par 4 hole, unless you put your drive in a 30' circle at 290 with a flex shot, you don't have a look at the basket without just throwing through the trees and praying it comes out and lands anywhere near the basket.

I hear what you're saying, but it isn't always as easy as saying "just birdie everything".

If you're just wanting to get par's assigned for the course, go with the pdga assignments and be done with it. Otherwise you'll have the inevitable par war of "EVERYTHING'S A MOTHER F!$!@NG 3!!!" vs "I need 6 shots to get up and down" group.

As a newer player I enjoyed seeing par 4 or 5 on a sign, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It wasn't until I started playing in mini's and befriended a local pro that I realized I was an idiot with false fantasies when shooting a decent round with my -6 using the course par system. For tournaments and mini's etc course par is irrelevant in almost every way. For the bro's on the course or those just starting out, I think higher than 3's on some holes helps keep them encouraged and keeps them coming back for more. Like me, we have a 725 foot par 5, but getting a 3 on that was the highlight of just about every round. Now getting a 4 pisses me off, because I know it's a wide open hole that in all reality, anyone that's been playing for a bit should make a 3 on.

. And for the par 4 hole, unless you put your drive in a 30' circle at 290 with a flex shot, you don't have a look at the basket without just throwing through the trees and praying it comes out and lands anywhere near the basket.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a 290 foot hole a par 4 in any instance.

That's your perfect drive. You've got another 130' to the pin around a clump of trees.

. Like me, we have a 725 foot par 5, but getting a 3 on that was the highlight of just about every round. Now getting a 4 pisses me off

I LOL'ed thinking about a person that legitimately gets mad scoring a 4 on a 725' hole. You're playing wrong if you're getting mad at all, let alone scoring a respectable 4 on a long hole like that. But my internet drive matches my real drive at 350'. :)

I'm having a hard time envisioning a 290 foot hole a par 4 in any instance.

I think he meant that the landing area you'd need to hit in order to have a run at the chains would be 290' out. Still, such a shot should be no problem for someone with some rounds under their belt and a bit of skill.

Ah, I read some other posts and really half assed my response, me not giving a damn is getting in the way of my posting and ramblings today.

Would you agree that the premise of disc golf is based on ball golf? Or is it a completely different game with no relation whatsoever?
The only thing that disc golf (or really any other variant of golf that doesn't use ball golf equipment) has in common with ball golf is the objective of taking a projectile and moving it from a starting point to a finishing point in as few attempts as possible. The means by which people in both games go about completion of a hole are entirely different, which is why trying to use a ball golf standard to establish a concept of par in disc golf will never work. The mathematics of setting par on each and every hole at a whole number don't help either. Its why we see so many Par 54-57 disc golf courses with SSA's in 40's.

Latest posts