• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atlanta/Savannah

schroof21

Bogey Member
Looks like I'm heading to Savannah in a few weeks for a mini vacation partially on my wife's employer's dime, and highs in the 60's seem like some good temps to throw some discs (compared to highs in the negative digits here a week ago or so). What are your thoughts on courses around there? I see plenty near/in Atlanta and don't even know where to begin. We'll be staying in Savannah, so Tom Triplett and The Sarge are already on the list. We're flying in/out of Atlanta though, so I should have time to play one on arrival and one more possibly on departure. I doubt I will have any time to travel more than 30-60 minutes out of the way between Atlanta and Savannah though so please don't veer to far off the path. Any advice from locals would be greatly appreciated. The Monty at Deer Ridge looks kind of cool, but it looks under-rated? Any must see/do's not disc golf related in Savannah or on the way?

You'll be flying in the south side of Atlanta---so most of the Atlanta courses require backtracking, probably through horrendous traffic. I haven't played it, but J.P. Moseley is on the right side of town, only a little out of your way, and is well-regarded.

Thanks for the advise so far guys!

Here's the plan so far - Perkerson Park late Thursday morning, immediately followed by The Monty midday. Then do Tom Triplett Friday early afternoon and The Sarge Saturday morning.

My main concerns right now are Perkerson Park being kind of hood, and gators at any of these courses (minus the Monty). Please let me know how concerned I should be with these aspects.

Any other thoughts?

Perkerson is really nice, had a great round there once on vacation. Navigation is tough, even with a map but I was there Jan 2014 and many holes didn't have concrete pads or signs. We found some locals after hole 3 so that made it LOTS easier. No issues with people messing with our car, and there seemed to be enough traffic through the parking lot for the other facilities there that it doesn't seem like a good spot for some smash n grab. We went midday on a Thursday.

Tom Triplett is a great course, you may want to play it twice.

The Sarge is unique and challenging. I only played it when new so I hope some of the fairways are wider, but do NOT go in any water after discs - lots of snakes and even small gators supposedly.

Perkerson is really nice, had a great round there once on vacation. Navigation is tough, even with a map but I was there Jan 2014 and many holes didn't have concrete pads or signs. We found some locals after hole 3 so that made it LOTS easier. No issues with people messing with our car, and there seemed to be enough traffic through the parking lot for the other facilities there that it doesn't seem like a good spot for some smash n grab. We went midday on a Thursday.

Tom Triplett is a great course, you may want to play it twice.

The Sarge is unique and challenging. I only played it when new so I hope some of the fairways are wider, but do NOT go in any water after discs - lots of snakes and even small gators supposedly.

That's perfect - if The Sarge is the only one I have to worry about gators and whatnot at, cause it'll be the last course I play on the trip so leaving a disc behind would be too excruciating.

I'm in atlanta and had a chance to zip out to perkerson park Sat. Afternoon. Liked the course a lot! Luckily met up w/ a recently tranplanted local who arrived at same time. It would be very difficult to play / navigate the 1st time w/o a local. I thing the area immediately around the course is semi-O.K. but definitely felt I took a risk taking public transportation there and walking the last couple blocks to the park. I would'nt want to walk out of there after dark.
That being said, the course itself is sweet! Rolling hills, tough up & downhill shots, mature trees, winding creek with nice bridges. Being winter, it played several shots easier then it will in the summer.
Probably not a good course in poor / wet conditions. great finishing hole and potential scoring seperation throughout. I turned a good round bad with a 6 on 15 and 7 on 18 to shoot a 60.
Stuck here until my flight at 3, weather is bad but might play a final round out there again today. Hope I don't get mugged.

I'm in atlanta and had a chance to zip out to perkerson park Sat. Afternoon. Liked the course a lot! Luckily met up w/ a recently tranplanted local who arrived at same time. It would be very difficult to play / navigate the 1st time w/o a local. I thing the area immediately around the course is semi-O.K. but definitely felt I took a risk taking public transportation there and walking the last couple blocks to the park. I would'nt want to walk out of there after dark.
That being said, the course itself is sweet! Rolling hills, tough up & downhill shots, mature trees, winding creek with nice bridges. Being winter, it played several shots easier then it will in the summer.
Probably not a good course in poor / wet conditions. great finishing hole and potential scoring seperation throughout. I turned a good round bad with a 6 on 15 and 7 on 18 to shoot a 60.
Stuck here until my flight at 3, weather is bad but might play a final round out there again today. Hope I don't get mugged.

Thanks for the info everyone! My trip was last weekend (unseasonably cold for the area, but much better than WI), and I had a blast (frolfing). That's right, I said it. Anyway, yea, Perkerson was freaking sweet, definitely top 10 I've ever played! I was extremely disappointed by The Monty. I think half the reason I wanted to go there was to see some sweet art and character (based on the pictures of the railroad car) and all I found was trash. Tom Triplette was pretty sweet two. Well groomed, and definitely a mix of shots, with some decent risk/reward. Lost a disc somewhere (must have fallen out of my bag), but I can't hold that against the course. Finished up with The Sarge, and holy sh*t is that a tough course, definitely unique and plenty of fun. I lost more than a couple discs (included my beloved putter that I've had since I started), but still turned out a decent score (in my opinion for that much water and being a brand new course).

All in all, I had a pretty decent time throwing in this area. Kind of a shame there aren't more courses in the area. I have 20+ courses within an hour, I think Savannah has 3. As far Savannah goes for entertainment and whatnot, I'd take it or leave it. Definitely didn't live up to the hype the media has given it over the last several years.

Latest posts