• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I tried to get some left-chain spin-outs and it just velcroed and dropped into the tray.

My practice basket is an M-14. As anyone who putts on one knows, they have a wide chain area, with basically one chain that sticks out on the high sides. My Atoms will hit that one little chain on putts that should NOT go in, grab it, and get pulled back into the basket.

The only other plastic I've seen do this is RFF plastic by Gateway. But the RFF also sticks to your hands. Electron is grippy, but offers a clean release. Crazy good stuff.

(I haven't thrown everything out there. I imagine some Vibram and DGA's gummy plastics also have super stick capabilities)

My practice basket is an M-14. As anyone who putts on one knows, they have a wide chain area, with basically one chain that sticks out on the high sides. My Atoms will hit that one little chain on putts that should NOT go in, grab it, and get pulled back into the basket.

Can confirm.

Took my atoms to nockamixon yesterday. I really enjoy driving with the atom. The grip in snow is quite amazing.

I initially wasn't even going to get any of the new putters from MVP/axiom, but awhile back someone let me throw their blue proto and for whatever reason it was a good bit more understable than any of the other atoms I've thrown (including other blue protos). The stock stuff does have a touch more fade when driving compared to the protos, but for the most part is about as neutral as a proxy. I mean it has a fade, just not a really pronounced fade. It also feels after an abusive few rounds at nockamixon and greystone, that is going to be beat out fairly quick. While after some nice hard rock and tree hits I did see a small change in the fade, I was pleased to see no change in the HSS. Just the way it should be.

All in all, I'm going to drop proxies (at least during winter rounds) and use atoms for that driving putter slot. Still going to keep my rhynos though. If there ever were a putter to change to, it might be this, but I don't like to mess with that kind of stuff.

Played my first round with my new Atoms. Putting only with a 175 firm and driving with a 175 soft.

I blasted a three 15 feet from the tee box on my first drive. Now I have a warped disc but the funny thing is that it still flies great. Almost seems to fly better.

It might be the straightest disc I've ever thrown. A friend and I later on were throwing it back and forth to one another form about 200 feet apart. On most throws we didn't have to move an inch to catch it.

Took my atoms to nockamixon yesterday. I really enjoy driving with the atom. The grip in snow is quite amazing.

I initially wasn't even going to get any of the new putters from MVP/axiom, but awhile back someone let me throw their blue proto and for whatever reason it was a good bit more understable than any of the other atoms I've thrown (including other blue protos). The stock stuff does have a touch more fade when driving compared to the protos, but for the most part is about as neutral as a proxy. I mean it has a fade, just not a really pronounced fade. It also feels after an abusive few rounds at nockamixon and greystone, that is going to be beat out fairly quick. While after some nice hard rock and tree hits I did see a small change in the fade, I was pleased to see no change in the HSS. Just the way it should be.

All in all, I'm going to drop proxies (at least during winter rounds) and use atoms for that driving putter slot. Still going to keep my rhynos though. If there ever were a putter to change to, it might be this, but I don't like to mess with that kind of stuff.
Nocki is awesome man. Great tough course. I've played it 3 times now and can't wait to hit it in the spring.

I blasted a tree 15 feet from the tee box on my first drive. Now I have a warped disc but the funny thing is that it still flies great. Almost seems to fly better.

I warped my proto the same way, to the point where It is subtlety out of round. Now it flies like it's been through two months of gentle, time-consuming seasoning. After multiple tries using the various hot water tricks and about a half-dozen rounds, it still hasn't popped back one bit. Still bag it, still love the plastic, still not happy with the durability.

I also just got a chance to throw the atoms that aim for the chains hooked me up with. The plastic seems a little bit more velvety and obviously not chalky like the protos. Like was mentioned before, the chalkyness just comes off after the first washing or even just getting wet so that was no big loss.

The plastic feels absolutely amazing, especially the medium. The rim is nice and firm but the deck is still springy and it's very very tacky. Hands down, best feeling putter I've ever held. Not only do I love the low profile, but I love how similar it feels in the hand to the Envy. These ones seem to have a slightly higher shoulder than the Envy, but are essentially flat otherwise.

Subjectively, it feels better than something deep like an Ion or a Dagger. However, it remains to be seen whether or not I actually putt better with it. Initial throws suggest that like the proto, it will be shorter for me than both as well. I'm starting to feel that is a good thing as I am not as committed to stretching my putters is as far as possible as I used to be. After another 3 or 4 rounds and some field work, I'll have a better idea of whether not it will stay in the bag.

^ the only thing I really disagree with is the feel of plastic between the vapor honed vs. Stock atoms. The vapor honed edges do leave after a good wash/what have you, but the plastics still feel different to me. I like the proto plastic more, but I still like these stock atoms

I know people have been a little concerned about boobs/warping/whatever. I've found that the boobed disc that was sent to me that way did not flex back into shape. Any warping after tree hits, though, has been correctable. This plastic still has excellent memory.

Yeah, there is definitely a difference between the two. I prefer the stock ones, but it's close (partially because the different runs are more similar than not).

Going to bag a pair of mediums, one soft (sick grey), and a soft Envy. Another test will come when it warms up. I sure hope the mediums don't soften up too much in the summer.

Yeah, there is definitely a difference between the two. I prefer the stock ones, but it's close (partially because the different runs are more similar than not).

Going to bag a pair of mediums, one soft (sick grey), and a soft Envy. Another test will come when it warms up. I sure hope the mediums don't soften up too much in the summer.

It's like 70 here everyday. They're good.

So which blend is everyone liking better? I have always preferred a softer putter for the grip but I'm really digging the firmer Electron. It has the grip most soft putters have but the plate is nice and firm. If anyone wants to trade some firms for some softs hit me up.

I love trying new putters out but I don't ever mess with the Anode when it comes down to it. The Atom is making a hard push for my putter slot though. I won't be able to make a final decision until I see some Electron Anodes but I am really loving the Atom right now. It is so good.

I have a soft and a regular and I much prefer the regular. One thing that always kept me away from soft Neutron was that I don't get as consistent a release on my putts with soft, flexible flight plates. Even the regular Electron is right at the edge of what I find acceptable in terms of the flex in the flight plate and the soft is just too flexible for me. I do love the feel of the plastic on both though. I hope they release a slightly stiffer blend of Electron, but the feel is definitely fantastic.

Im a spin putter and putting with Ions, Anodes, and Envys I have a more consistent release with the reg neutron vs. soft neutron and proton. I'm finding I like the soft a little more in the Electron. It's right in between reg and soft neutron for me. They seem to stick to the chains better than the reg too. It could be because its been cold as hell here in eastern Pa. The chains have been cold and grumpy. Have to see how they are in the spring and summer.

I like regular Electron more for putting, but soft on the approach.

Im a spin putter and putting with Ions, Anodes, and Envys I have a more consistent release with the reg neutron vs. soft neutron and proton. I'm finding I like the soft a little more in the Electron. It's right in between reg and soft neutron for me. They seem to stick to the chains better than the reg too. It could be because its been cold as hell here in eastern Pa. The chains have been cold and grumpy. Have to see how they are in the spring and summer.

I've replaced my putting Ions with Electron Soft Atoms. I played yesterday and it was 68 degrees (Florida :)) and they feel great. I kept my Proton Medium Ion for approach and upshots but Atoms now rule for putting.

Lets see how Electron Soft handles 90 degree weather this summer, if they do not change much then I'm a happy camper.

So which blend is everyone liking better? I have always preferred a softer putter for the grip but I'm really digging the firmer Electron. It has the grip most soft putters have but the plate is nice and firm.

:thmbup: regular but want a truly firm/hard version.

I know people have been a little concerned about boobs/warping/whatever. I've found that the boobed disc that was sent to me that way did not flex back into shape. Any warping after tree hits, though, has been correctable. This plastic still has excellent memory.

Yeah I couldn't get those boobs reduced for the life of me ;) but noticed bending both discs edge to egdge caused a crease that could easily be worked out.