• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Attempting to compile DGR BH knowledge into a video

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So the other day I tried to shoot some instructional videos. Wind was super loud so only 20% or so of the footage was useable. I put that content into some stupid little starter video you can see here just so I had something to go from. Obviously it's all jittery from the editing and isn't comprehensive at all but it was a learning experience and will help me with what not to do for the more in-depth BH video.

Here's what I'm thinking of including in the video. Anything you think I should add or leave out?

1. Defining OAT, showing what it does and discussing how to eliminate it.
2. Discussing late acceleration / snap / the hit
3. Pulling in a straight line not around the body, keeping the disc on the same plane while pulling through.
4. Rotating the entire body to generate power and discussing leading with the legs, hips and shoulders.
5. Footwork. X-step examples, follow through etc.
6. Grip and proper wrist alignment.
7. Keeping disc close to chest on the pull through.
8. Weight forward
9. Follow through in general. Discussing why it's important to avoid injury and how to follow through on the same plane of the throw.
10. Some random little tips like keeping your off hand off the disc.
11. How to power down your throwing form. Using less body rotation, throwing from a standstill etc.
12. Mention something about how other forms like the Swedish style of throwing will have some variations in the technique but generally the fundamentals are all the same.
13. Aiming with your body.
14. Working from the HIT back to develop your throw, recommending starting at a standstill and focusing on feeling the snap etc.
15. Possibly include a section on how to throw hyzer and anhyzer...maybe save this for another video.

I'm wondering a couple of things. First if there is any specific way you think would be best to organize these topics. I have my own ideas but I wanted to hear from others too. Second, I was talking with a friend through DGCR and he mentioned he finds instructional videos much easier to follow if they give a sort of step-by-step series of exercises for you to try out. If you have any thoughts on that let me know.

I will also be linking to additional resources such as other videos like Dan's HIT videos, the incomplete secret thread and other such things, but I'm hoping to incorporate a lot of these ideas into an easy to digest video to give people an accessible starting point for refining form.

You might be getting in over your head here, but if you decide to give it a go, your best bet is probably to break it down into a bunch of shorter videos that cover each subject in as much depth as possible. That way people can access a specific topic without wading through a 30 minute video that doesn't really cover anything comprehensively. You'd need to film and analyze several throws for each topic, demonstrating the do's and don'ts. Didn't Feldberg and Climo do something like this? Perhaps someone who has seen that could enlighten us on how they did it and whether or not it sucked.

CatPredator said:
Didn't Feldberg and Climo do something like this? Perhaps someone who has seen that could enlighten us on how they did it and whether or not it sucked.

Unless they come out with a part II. The above list looks like it could be more advance.

CatPredator said:
You might be getting in over your head here, but if you decide to give it a go, your best bet is probably to break it down into a bunch of shorter videos that cover each subject in as much depth as possible.

I will probably end up doing that. I think it will make it easier for DGers trying to learn these things to digest the information. For example, have one video talking about one aspect of the throw, show how it works in real time and slomo, show what it looks like done right and what it looks like done wrong to ease self-diagnoses, then maybe conclude with some sort of exercise to develop that particular technique. Then once you feel confident with that part of the throw, move on to the next.

Either way I do it I plan to try and have things ordered in a way that the simplest and most fundamental concepts are presented first, then more advanced stuff follows.

Several by topic shorter clips are better than one gian video. Nikko Locastro just posted a basic piece of advice on youtube. I didn't visit his web page nldg.com to see if it's there too. And there's the Feldy/Climo DVD and youtube channels mfranssila and lcgm8 contain slow mos too. And player to player comparisons on the same hole. Even two and more angle footage and Avery in slo mo from two angles. I'd do the basics first and then once those are done based on the feedback of the first basic vids you could do the advanced tips and drills. That way people can more easily give tips for the advanced section. Besides i'm sure that you are fine doing the basics by yourself. You know them.