• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aussie Open - 2015 PDGA Major

^explain? It has a huge purse and it's about time the southern hemisphere gets in on the action

With a $6000 prize for first place, he could probably place in the top 5 and still make it worth while spending the cash to head to Australia. The kid is definitely sponsored by someone

Do you know how much it costs to travel to Perth? You need to place top 3 to break even on travel expenses.

A few friends and I were thinking of going, we estimated 4 to 5 thousand dollars per person.

Yikes! Maybe PDGA and the player's sponsors ponied up the plane tickets just to have a few top players at Aussie's first major? They were also doing pro seminars as well, so i could see it happening

Last edited:
Can there anyone confirm- What Wysocki is actually throwing?

Good question... and who paid to fly him out there?

With a $6000 prize for first place, he could probably place in the top 5 and still make it worth while spending the cash to head to Australia. The kid is definitely sponsored by someone

Do you know how much it costs to travel to Perth? You need to place top 3 to break even on travel expenses.

My original point was that Prodigy likely paid for his travel expenses to attend the tournament. I would think he would be obligated to throw their plastic if that is the case... unless Latitude or Ricky agreed to reimburse Prodigy.

It wouldn't be 4k or 5k unless you flew out of a local airport. If you do a short bus ride to an international airport the ticket would run you about 1800-2000 without any special deal. Stay for 4-5 days in a local hotel probably 60-70 a night plus food. Maybe around 3k if you get a rental car on top of that. My trip I'm hoping to take to Korean won't even be close to 5K and I'm planning on being there for almost a month.

A bus trip to the nearest international airport here (6hrs) was only $25 both ways

Yikes! Maybe PDGA and the player's sponsors ponied up the plane tickets just to have a few top players at Aussie's first major? They were also doing pro seminars as well, so i could see it happening

PDGA probably made their corporate jet available to the top pros. Gas prices are down, it's the right thing to do.

I think Downes from the PDGA office hopped a freighter from LA about three weeks ago to save money and just arrived in Perth to help with event staging and scoring. Another ship should get him back in time for the Memorial. ;)

I think Downes from the PDGA office hopped a freighter from LA about three weeks ago to save money and just arrived in Perth to help with event staging and scoring. Another ship should get him back in time for the Memorial. ;)
If he can past customs on the way back in. LA Ports can get backed up REALLY easily.

Just going off the registered players, isn't that a pretty good shot for the non aussies? By my count there are 6 of the top pros in the sport there, and looking at the ratings from the aussies I find it hard to believe those 6 guys will be competing against anyone other then each other. As long as you're getting at least a little bit of help on travel expenses, and/or any kind of performance bonuses I think it'd be worth it. Worst case scenario you get a very cheap vacation to another continent. It'd be worth going just for that if it were me.

It wouldn't be 4k or 5k unless you flew out of a local airport. If you do a short bus ride to an international airport the ticket would run you about 1800-2000 without any special deal. Stay for 4-5 days in a local hotel probably 60-70 a night plus food. Maybe around 3k if you get a rental car on top of that. My trip I'm hoping to take to Korean won't even be close to 5K and I'm planning on being there for almost a month.

A bus trip to the nearest international airport here (6hrs) was only $25 both ways

So my point remains, top 3 to break even.
I said Id be spending 4-5k. Not what a guy who doesn't mind vacationing like a hobo would pay. 3k is bare minimum, which is what 3rd can hope to be paid.

So this tourney starts tomorrow for the States, 1-29-15, so what day/time will this happen down under?

Will the PDGA be the only way to monitor the action down under? Will they do live scoring or just results for the day?

Any Stateside video guys gonna be there?

JT, are you doing any coverage to be aired later on the TheSpinTV ?

I know...lots of questions but I am just excited for the "Majors" and "NT" seasons to tee off!

Self edit here is some good info and links:

http://www.pdga.com/2015-aussie-open

Last edited:
No live scoring until Saturday? That is disappointing. I usually like to distract myself at work. Although this course looks awesome, and the pot is large, I don't like a major where so few of the top players are able to attend.

Latest posts