• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin Ridge Bible Church: improving!

pablo.diablo

Eagle Member
Figured I would start an appreciation thread for my favorite course in Austin. It's vastly improving all the time now!

I saw Houck getting some love in the Selah Ranch thread, so you can probably just ask questions or show your appreciation here.

My main question would be about the hole with the drainage problem in the fairway, I think #13. Are there any plans to resolve this or to improve the hole design and fairways? There are some overgrowth issues in the fairway from the back box.

Last edited:
here is my updated review for those who know nothing about this amazing Austin, TX course...

Pros: [UPDATE: August 2012]
Most of the Teepads are installed!!! Instant Rating increase of 1/2 star.

The long tees are incredible, they made these customized trapezoids and you can really tell the angles were chosen to allow for both righty/lefty or backhand/sidearm run-ups.

The short tees are not quite as nice being very short and rectangular, but you don't really need huge run-up room on most of them anyway. I find them highly suitable for their intended purpose.

They have also added and improved steps to walk up the steep hill on #2, it's looking great! They have nice bridges right where you need them.

. . . . . . .

My favorite courses have plenty of technical woods holes and elevation, and this place will not disappoint in those regards. Beautiful technical woods holes with plenty of elevation and creek running throughout.

Lots of true Par 4's, maybe even half the holes? This is a great thing.

There are so many unique holes that you simply will not find elsewhere in this area. There was also water threatening a lot of holes, making them even more scenic and challenging.

The only places in Texas that I have played so far that have a similar mix of length, difficulty, technicality, beauty/scenery, water, and elevation are Lake Nacogdoches and Selah Ranch.

Cons:
Debris is all over the course from the large number of trees they recently cut down to improve the course. There are all kinds of improved routes and fairways now, though.

There was one hole (#13?) that had a big drainage problem and had excess water/mud in the fairway (minus a half-star). Playing from the back box right now is just a nightmare, so I always throw from the short box (which is not finished).

Lack of benches, so bring a stool. There are some moderately lengthy walks between certain holes. Not cart-friendly due to extreme hilly terrain.

Only other con is that it needs to be played more to be really broken-in, and that only comes with time.

Other Thoughts:
This course is very physical and difficult, which are two things that casual disc golfers are not used to, which are the two main reasons for most of the lower rated reviews.

Once the debris gets removed and the last few teepads finished, this will be the best course in the Austin area in my opinion. Far more unique than Roy G., and better elevation/beauty/water than Circle C.

If you are going for the first time, you should probably play doubles, it is a fantastic dubs course.

Listen to the other reviewers: Bring more water and less discs! Eliminate any redundancies in your bag before the round, your back will thank you.

If you are carrying more than a dozen discs out here you need to rethink your bag. Your score WILL suffer later in the round from fatigue.

You can play one round here and feel like you played two rounds somewhere else. It can take 3+ hours if you play with a group and have to search for the occasional lost disc. But now with all the short tees, you can play in < 2 hours if you want to speed hike it

I can give you a guided round on almost any Saturday a.m., just shoot me a PM.

Yeah it's definitely playable, just not perfect like it will be one day. ;)

Now that the weather has started in the right direction, I would highly suggest anybody making a trip to Austin for golf should check this course out.

Yeah it's definitely playable, just not perfect like it will be one day. ;)

Now that the weather has started in the right direction, I would highly suggest anybody making a trip to Austin for golf should check this course out.

Pablo,

Thanks for keeping ARBC in the spotlight. I just got back from 10 days on the road -- will post an update once I understand what work got done while I was gone. I'm hoping they got to the chipping and to finishing the rest of the teepads; that was top of the list when I left.