• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

autocrosscrx ITB

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I started a thread a while back basically filling a practice bag, but now I'm playing straight up for score more often, with plans to hit some tourneys and other scored formats if/when COVID lets up. So I wanted to start fresh...

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: I've played a little over 3 years, but I've really only carried a bag and more than 2 or 3 discs at a time the last year or so.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, really only throw FH for scrambles
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Judge: 200/225'; Roc: 225/250'; Teebird 275'/300'

So, basically 300' power for now....

The plan is to carry around 16-18 discs for tournaments and special rounds, but 12 discs for casuals.

My current bag:

Putting putters:
1. Classic Aviar 175g
2. Classic Aviar 175g

They start to get a little slippery when the temps drop in the 50 degrees, but I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

Throwing putters:
3. Classic Blend Judge.
4. Basic Jokeri.
5. Zero Medium Pure.

The Judge is the workhorse. Jokeri fills the overstable approach disc role. Still figuring out how the Pure fits.

Mids:
6. DX Roc.

My favorite one is a #3 on the Roc scale and might be my most thrown disc.

Fairway Drivers:
7. Discraft Ace Race Sting.
8. DX Teebird
9. Westside Discs VIP Hatchet.

The Sting fills understable roles. The Teebird for more stable shots. I just got the Hatchet yesterday. It (hopefully) replaces the Z Heat that I recently lost for those shots where I want a bit more distance.

Distance Drivers:
10. DX Beast
11. Pro Beast

I had a DX Destroyer seasoned to perfection, but I lost it last week. The DX Beast is super touchy, but for the right shot, it gives me my easiest distance. The Pro Beast doesn't fly as well for me, but it more stable. I think I'm finally starting to beat it in a bit because it is getting longer and easier to throw.

Empty slot:
12. ???????

I've been rotating a bunch of discs for this slot --- D Line P2, Z Sol, X Buzz, one of a variety of more stable DX Rocs, beat up DX Leopard, fresher DX teebird, Prodigy H1 utility disc, beat up X Crank that flies super straight for me but is sort of a brick.

I built my bag very similarly to this. Carried a Gorilla Boy and was limited to 12 discs. I used the open space for testers. While I'm very committed to my core molds, it doesn't hurt to shop around.

Looks like a solid 11. I wouldn't jam a 12th in just for the sake of having 12. How many rocs you got in there? If anything I'd throw a fresh Roc in.

I think a 12th disc adds to my bag. Right now, I sort of choose based off where I'm playing or the weather.

I currently have a single DX Roc in the bag. If I were to add one, I'd probably go the other direction. I pulled a really seasoned 180g KC (less stable) and a seasoned 172g DX (least stable) from a pond that both fly really nice for me. If I want more finish at Roc distances, I'm pretty comfortable discing up and taking a bit off a Teebird

I built my bag very similarly to this. Carried a Gorilla Boy and was limited to 12 discs. I used the open space for testers. While I'm very committed to my core molds, it doesn't hurt to shop around.

I'm committed to my grid Aviars, but I probably should play an occasional round with all my regular throwers at home.

I'm committed to my grid Aviars, but I probably should play an occasional round with all my regular throwers at home.

I tested several OS putters to see if one could unseat the Zone. Tested a bunch of control drivers to complement the OS-stable side of PDs.

In terms of Aviars, I only ever bonded with Classics so I get it. Wizards got me.

What do you do in the wind?

-Pull the Pure. Add either fresher Roc or P2 depending where I'm playing.
-Pull the Sting. Add a fresher max weight DX Teebird.
-Add the X Crank that I mentioned.

Played a wind round yesterday. Really struggled. Need to do that more frequently.

Pulled the Sting, the Hatchet, and the DX Beast. Just for the wind.
Added the Crank, the fresher DX Teebird, a flat top DX Roc that is pretty fresh, and a beat up DX Leopard (for 2 specific shots).

Couldn't putt at all. I doubt I made anything longer than 10 feet all day. Approach game wasn't much better.
Placed my drives well, but short. I tend to throw low line drives and the wind was knocking them down all day.

Didn't touch my Teebirds all day. Don't have confidence in the flat top Roc. Lost confidence in the Jokeri after having it flip to flat on me on hole 3 and hole 5. My regular Roc did the same thing on me on holes 2 and 4, but I stuck with it and threw some nice shots with it on the back 9.

Curious, as it looks like we have similar distances, how much distance are you getting out of your Beasts? I've recently been looking at higher speed drivers.
As a suggestion for the 12th slot, maybe look at a DX Firebird?

Curious, as it looks like we have similar distances, how much distance are you getting out of your Beasts? I've recently been looking at higher speed drivers.
As a suggestion for the 12th slot, maybe look at a DX Firebird?

I'd say that I average about 300 feet, maybe just a hair under for the DX Beast. If I'm not worried about it drifting right, I can get out to about 330 on a good throw.

I was a little disappointed in the distance with the Pro, and as a result barely threw it the first couple of months. However, in the last few weeks, it seems like it is flying a lot better. If I'm throwing the DX 300 feet, then I'm getting the Pro out to about 295-297 lately.

I wanted a DX Firebird, but then I pulled one out of a pond and it was really domey and understable. So I'm a little gun shy about them now. I've got a Champ FB that doesn't look like it will be claimed, so I need to play with that a bit.

Thanks for the info! I have a couple DX firebirds, one is more beat in (bought used) I can get it to turn a bit (BH) but it always comes back. I had a mid 160s Star FB that I loved but it has been lost. I'm currently experimenting with a GStar and a light Champ. I can't get the champ to fly very well.

Would it be worth messing with a premium plastic Roc or Teebird for that 12th slot? something that will still feel very similar in hand to what you already throw, but with a bit of extra stability to fly like you want on windy days?

I can't get my 168g star teebird to fly anything like a perfect 175g dx teebird....unless there's a touch of headwind then it's a pretty good facsimile. I find what I struggle most with is selecting a disc/shot that is enough of a bump up in stability to fight the wind, but not such a bump up that it flies a different shape.

Overall your bag looks pretty fun, I wouldn't mind shooting a round with it, I suspect the only thing I'd miss from my own bag would be fairway with some stable finish, something FD/Undertaker ish.

Would it be worth messing with a premium plastic Roc or Teebird for that 12th slot? something that will still feel very similar in hand to what you already throw, but with a bit of extra stability to fly like you want on windy days?

I can't get my 168g star teebird to fly anything like a perfect 175g dx teebird....unless there's a touch of headwind then it's a pretty good facsimile. I find what I struggle most with is selecting a disc/shot that is enough of a bump up in stability to fight the wind, but not such a bump up that it flies a different shape.

Overall your bag looks pretty fun, I wouldn't mind shooting a round with it, I suspect the only thing I'd miss from my own bag would be fairway with some stable finish, something FD/Undertaker ish.

I ordered 2 USDGC Champ Roc throwers, with the idea of just keeping one and trying the other out. I also have a Z Wasp that I messed around with a bit a year ago when I didn't really understand the value in overstable discs, so that might be worth revisiting.

I've got a Champ Teebird that I've messed around with a bit, but I haven't been touching my fairways much at all lately. I pretty much only grab them if I hit an early tree on a long par 3.

Played a wind round yesterday. Really struggled. Need to do that more frequently.

Pulled the Sting, the Hatchet, and the DX Beast. Just for the wind.
Added the Crank, the fresher DX Teebird, a flat top DX Roc that is pretty fresh, and a beat up DX Leopard (for 2 specific shots).

Couldn't putt at all. I doubt I made anything longer than 10 feet all day. Approach game wasn't much better.
Placed my drives well, but short. I tend to throw low line drives and the wind was knocking them down all day.

Didn't touch my Teebirds all day. Don't have confidence in the flat top Roc. Lost confidence in the Jokeri after having it flip to flat on me on hole 3 and hole 5. My regular Roc did the same thing on me on holes 2 and 4, but I stuck with it and threw some nice shots with it on the back 9.

I really think a Harp would be perfect for that 12th spot. Harps feel like super flat rocs but they fly like bricks in the wind. I can also get a very clean putting release with them so they are my wind putter. I have an Orgio and a VIP. Orgio is beat and a little straighter, I use it for wind putting or long hyzer putts. VIP harp is probably the most stable disc in my bag. I'd recommend an Orgio or BT hard

I ordered 2 USDGC Champ Roc throwers, with the idea of just keeping one and trying the other out. I also have a Z Wasp that I messed around with a bit a year ago when I didn't really understand the value in overstable discs, so that might be worth revisiting.

I've got a Champ Teebird that I've messed around with a bit, but I haven't been touching my fairways much at all lately. I pretty much only grab them if I hit an early tree on a long par 3.

Missed this when I posted the harp recommendation...never thrown a USDGC champ roc but always been curious how they'd do in the wind. Keep us posted!

I'm definitely not done for the year, but I might be done with wind rounds as temps are dropping. Especially since things that I've dealt with in the past like a sniffly nose or sinus congestion now means that I can't earn income.

I played yesterday. Play my round with the 11 that I posted and a DX Leopard. End up bailing on my round. I played thru several groups, but things were really getting backed up and that makes me a little nervous with COVID.

So I go to a less popular course. I pull the DX Leopard and put a 155g Opto Air Ballista in my bag. Pulled it from a pond, put it on FB, and no one has claimed it. This disc bombs. It is a little touchy with angle, but when I got it right, it was going 40-50 feet longer than my Beasts. On the hole where I measure my distance on good shots, I beat my best by 30 feet.

With all that said, I'm not sure how useable this disc is for me. I wasn't giving it a ton of room to work, but it finishes pretty hard. Which means if I don't commit, I'm missing WAY left.

That seems to be both the blessing and the curse with distance drivers. If you've got the space to flex them out, taking another 40-50' off the upshot is great. Or on times where aiming far right and playing the skip back to the desire landing zone presents a less obstructed flight path they're great. Most other times I find myself being more willing to sacrifice the distance in favor of the softer landing from a fairway or long mid.

That seems to be both the blessing and the curse with distance drivers. If you've got the space to flex them out, taking another 40-50' off the upshot is great. Or on times where aiming far right and playing the skip back to the desire landing zone presents a less obstructed flight path they're great. Most other times I find myself being more willing to sacrifice the distance in favor of the softer landing from a fairway or long mid.

I haven't really mastered throwing a flex for distance. So if I'm trying to push something down the fairway, I'm trying to hyzerflip it. So I really don't need much space at all. My concern is more where is it going to go if I throw it too flat and where is it going to go if I don't put enough power in it and it never flips.

Latest posts