• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery Jenkins

A month of rest and no Tournaments did me a lot of good as I was mostly concerned with playing the USDGC Major Event.

Every single shot no matter the distance hurt to throw...but I wanted to play and finish my 16th World Championships.

I'm probably 95% right now and you're right on that Tendonitis is no joke, I wish this upon no Disc Golfer. But I do realize that the Pitch Count (Throw Count) is way up there after playing for 29 years so I'm going to do my best to continue to strength train over the winter to avoid this happening again next year.

It definitely feels great to be throwing again!

Thanks for the thread and the concerns!

-AJ-

^I love how under his name it says "Newbie". Fix this DGCR admins -- LOL!
DSCJNKY

Glad you're back Avery! Your a class act and I wish you much success this upcoming year!

A month of rest and no Tournaments did me a lot of good as I was mostly concerned with playing the USDGC Major Event.

Every single shot no matter the distance hurt to throw...but I wanted to play and finish my 16th World Championships.

I'm probably 95% right now and you're right on that Tendonitis is no joke, I wish this upon no Disc Golfer. But I do realize that the Pitch Count (Throw Count) is way up there after playing for 29 years so I'm going to do my best to continue to strength train over the winter to avoid this happening again next year.

It definitely feels great to be throwing again!

Thanks for the thread and the concerns!

-AJ-

avery dont know if you'll see this but it sounds like i had the same thing, tennis elbow. accumulated from playing video games and disc golf too much...:\
to fix the problem i had to quit playing video games, quit playing disc golf AND get a cortozone shot. after four weeks i could play limited disc golf, still no video games....... and a month after that i was back to playing disc golf full time. im not sure any kind of strength training will solve your problem, since its tendonitis you have. people dont recommend multiple cortozone shots but that one shot made a huge difference in recovery time.
i wish you the best, hope you heal better/faster than i did.

avery dont know if you'll see this but it sounds like i had the same thing, tennis elbow. accumulated from playing video games and disc golf too much...:\
to fix the problem i had to quit playing video games, quit playing disc golf AND get a cortozone shot. after four weeks i could play limited disc golf, still no video games....... and a month after that i was back to playing disc golf full time. im not sure any kind of strength training will solve your problem, since its tendonitis you have. people dont recommend multiple cortozone shots but that one shot made a huge difference in recovery time.
i wish you the best, hope you heal better/faster than i did.
How do you know the cortisone shot helped and it wasn't just the rest? I had one cortisone shot in my foot, and I think it made it worse.

Stronger and more flexible muscles will help prevent joint and tendonitis injuries. Tendonitis is more prone from a muscle imbalance.

I used this Voodoo Floss elastic wrap on my elbow and wrist for some tendinitis a while back and it helped a lot. Definitely recommend trying it out if it's a nagging issue. I'll still use it from time to time when I feel it start to bug me again. There are some good videos on youtube to help explain how to use it.
Rogue-Voodoo-Floss-Compression-Bands.jpg

How do you know the cortisone shot helped and it wasn't just the rest? I had one cortisone shot in my foot, and I think it made it worse.

Stronger and more flexible muscles will help prevent joint and tendonitis injuries. Tendonitis is more prone from a muscle imbalance.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend cortisone shots either. Not only do they not work but they might even be destructive to tissue in the area. Stretching, wrist strengthening exercises and massage have helped me the most. Rest isn't an option in my line of work(or play). Acupuncture and cupping(not that kind of cupping), worked as well, but if you have chronic tendonitis as I have- stretching, wrist strengthening exercises and massage are the way to go IMO. My tendonitis was caused at first by a tearing injury in my tricep, then exacerbated by my addiction to swinging hammers and throwing discs. It's something you learn to live with, like a spouse that snores, or a cat that drops half gophers in your lap. I took it as an opportunity to better my off hand skills.

Just to let you know the lengths as to which I've gone to relieve myself of lateral epicondylitis: I caught a hornet in the house and let him take out his angst on my elbow... calling it the "poor man's cortisone"(he had a lot of angst turns out). Pretty medieval, I know, but passing a baby under a horse three times didn't work, so I figured I'd take it up a notch, and it is hard to find leeches in Arizona. It actually did relieve some of the discomfort of tendonitis, or I was distracted by the irritation of multiple hornet stings(fun fact: they bite as well!) I don't know which.

Just to let you know the lengths as to which I've gone to relieve myself of lateral epicondylitis: I caught a hornet in the house and let him take out his angst on my elbow... calling it the "poor man's cortisone"(he had a lot of angst turns out). Pretty medieval, I know, but passing a baby under a horse three times didn't work, so I figured I'd take it up a notch, and it is hard to find leeches in Arizona. It actually did relieve some of the discomfort of tendonitis, or I was distracted by the irritation of multiple hornet stings(fun fact: they bite as well!) I don't know which.

You caught a hornet and forced it to sting you multiple times?

I am going to recommend a trip to a physician, though the sage wisdom of this forum on medical issues has rarely been utter speculation. :rolleyes:

Not sure what kind of feedback you will get on hornet slave labor, but perhaps the dispensing of medical advice should be left to the experts.

You should look into honey bee stings.

You caught a hornet and forced it to sting you multiple times?

After catching him(I guess it was a him, I named him 'Stabby'), he was all too willing to oblige. I didn't even have to hold him there, just put the cup he was in up to my arm and viola! Sting-o-matic. patent not pending.

I am going to recommend a trip to a physician, though the sage wisdom of this forum on medical issues has rarely been utter speculation. :rolleyes:

Not sure what kind of feedback you will get on hornet slave labor, but perhaps the dispensing of medical advice should be left to the experts.

Hardly slave labor. Call it community service served for trespassing.

Search out the poison ivy thread here. I hear eating it builds your immunity.

(please dont eat poison ivy)

strength training is really important for protecting muscles, tendons, and joints from injury. the less working out i do, the more my hands and wrists are prone to getting sore (i make my living playing and teaching guitar).

my roommate is developing tendinitis, he's a guitarist and works on a computer. in addition to icing daily, he started working out again after not doing so for months and his wrists are already feeling better.

my other roommate, another guitarist, has had several injuries and for the latest one decided to just get a cortisone shot. 1 week later and he is back in action.

just because a remedy or procedure didn't work for one person, doesn't mean they don't work. everyone's body is different and the nature of our injuries is different as well.

Latest posts