• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery Jenkins

Ha!... the guy that placed 2nd to him at his first big win in Toronto is a local guy I played a casual round with a few months ago. Still going strong in the over 50 group. Great dude with a ton of info.

I like the energy Avery has every time he said "ambassador of the sport". The guys cares and it shows. Would love to have a beer and listen to him talk disc golf for hours... maybe a few beers.

He comes off little snobby anytime I have met him

I have a few stories about him along these lines also. I've always thought of him as a dick from my personal experiences with him.

Disclaimer: I've met him, but couldn't say that I've spent any quality time with him.
Granted, maybe if we sat down and talked, I might get along with him. I don't know him.
But he comes across on vids and commentary as conceited and self-important.

I helped Avery run a combine here in Michigan and I can tell you he is 100% not a dick. He was very easy to get along with and very passionate about his job. His wife and kid were awesome too. He does not mince his words which to some people may seem like rudeness. Americans are thrown off by direct people

I met him at Am Worlds in 2010 at the flymart, he was hawking these new Grip bags with Nate and Val.

They also ran a clinic. He was very patient with questions, and didn't seem off-put at all.

He comes off little snobby anytime I have met him
I have a few stories about him along these lines also. I've always thought of him as a dick from my personal experiences with him.
Disclaimer: I've met him, but couldn't say that I've spent any quality time with him.
Granted, maybe if we sat down and talked, I might get along with him. I don't know him.
But he comes across on vids and commentary as conceited and self-important.
Personal experience: Avery has ventured to NW Ohio to play in the occasional event/promote the sport (I haven't seen him lately, but he's been around of late installing the private course whose sign is briefly flashed in the video above). When his family hosted a big A-Tier in Medina he personally reached out to invite me to stay at their house if I played, and I got to spend the weekend around him and his family and had pretty much an incredible time. He's not an overly proud person, he came to me for advice on running at one point and seemed curious and respectful when outside of his element.

He's a confident guy, for sure. He doesn't mind **** talk, though - he gives and takes, I feel comfortable poking fun at him over little innocent things he isn't going to take offense to stupid stuff.

Another story: A friend of mine raves about how Avery spent the entire hour at a C Tier to play catch with his then five-ish year old son, instead of focusing on the event (he was in 2nd or 3rd behind the same friend and Sprague I think - wasn't there).

In general Avery's a good guy.

Last edited:
Another story: A friend of mine raves about how Avery spent the entire hour at a C Tier to play catch with his then five-ish year old son, instead of focusing on the event (he was in 2nd or 3rd behind the same friend and Sprague I think - wasn't there).
Just looked it up - correction (too late to edit): He was tied for 2nd with Orum behind the friend (Chris Hoyle), and then Sprague came from behind with 1080s to crush.

I'll also add that he really understands throwing mechanics, I learned a good deal from him.

I've played with Avery twice, once in a random first round grouping, once on a second (of four) round lead card. Both times he was a pleasure to play and interact with. The only thing off-putting about both interactions was something I've found is common among many players that tour, especially back then, and that was that any errors or less than ideal throws he made were quickly blamed on the course rather than on himself.

If his drive caught a tree, it was a tree that shouldn't have been left standing (even though it was a wooded course with a clearly defined flight path and the tree was in what was clearly supposed to be the rough). If his approach shot failed to skip off the gravel OB parking lot and on to the green, it was a poorly designed hole (even though there was no reason at all to be out over the parking lot at all to reach the green). If he landed next to a Christmas tree (at Maple Hill!), it shouldn't have been there because it was "random". Essentially, the impression I got was any hole he couldn't defeat with a simple hyzer shot that gave him a clear putt or line to the basket was bad.

But if he was shooting well, he was a perfect cardmate. ;)

Latest posts