• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

MrGlass01

* Ace Member *
I know there may be an old thread somewhere for this disc but i wanted to start a new one. This has to be the single best putter out there right? well maybe not for everyone as putters are so subjective. I grabbed a stack of 7 at my local shop to help with putting practice. Well hot damn they work amazingly well for my push putt. Hitting more and more putts and I'm now 100% 25 feet and in out in the yard. also recently grabbed a few mcpros to mess around with and well they also work very very well. For me my throwing putters are locked down but circle putters have been an issue for me since i shelved anodes and have searched for a base plastid disc. i think for now I'm sticking with these and i am very excited about that! 7 bucks a pop i see a giant stack in my house soon enough! i think I've tried almost every putter out there over the years but never grabbed these until recently. I'm kicking myself now. My buddies are hating this disc because it is quickly making me look like i know how to putt.

who else out there putts with the p&a and how do you like them!

I putt with a San Marino two ringer Star Aviar P&A and I would be lost without it. Out of the box, the Stars are too OS, but knock some of the fight out of em, and wow.

I like the Star Aviar and the McPro Aviar, but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the Aviar in Champion plastic. Great mold, and there's a plastic out there for just about anyone...

I am trying to rebuild my game and Aviar P&A is my sole putter for now. XT for driving and approaching and DX for putting. Working out well and I may stick with them for the long-term. You can get them about anywhere, DX is affordable, and they come a wide array of plastics. What not to like.

man I loved the Aviar P&A, I had the DX for putting then the G-star for upshots.

15550014278_352abed14e_c.jpg

there's nothing like a bunch of matching aviars... so inexpensive and yet so effective.

I was in a funk trying to figure out my putt when I started last year... I went with a spin putt, then a push, then a combo push+spin.... I finally just said screw it, I'm going to buy a stack of matching DX Aviar P&A and whatever works with those things is what I'm sticking with.

Eventually I figured out that I was a natural spin putter, but I also practiced straddle and figured out a checklist on how I do a specific putt (be it straddle or spin). From there my putting improved immensely and I didn't have to worry about my putting (not that I was paul mcbeth level putting, but I knew exactly what to do to at least put the putt on line and make a good bid at it).

then the weirdest thing happened, I'd borrow my friends putters (whatever brand/type) and could just do my normal putts (spin/straddle/ect) anyway. the whole process of figuring out my putting mechanics with aviar P&A made it easier to putt with anything else (wizards/truths/magnets/whatever).

I eventually moved on to P2's (which are just aviar P&A variants anyway) because I wanted that extra overstability for those spin putts outside the circle. but I owe my confidence in putting to finally learning my mechanics/checklist using the aviar P&A

So at a clinic feldberg taught I learned that mcbeast does not spin putt. He is actually push putting.

Feldy said that unless your putting like KC it's not a true spin putt.

The difference is a spin putt as left to right or vice versa movement while the push putt has no lateral movement.

Feldberg says push putting has spin, more or less depending on techniques, but the important difference is that the spin does not come from lateral movement like a spin putt does.

Also aviar is a good mold. I'm using novas now but used a aviar for like 6 months, switched to wizards atleast a year , switched to kc pro aviar for a couple weeks. Got a nova and it just started hanging onto those chains. I've seen so many putts that would have fallen out with regular putters I highly doubt I'll ever switch back.

Feldberg has also said that McBeth is a spin putter in his NZ clinic:

https://youtu.be/-wrjOOzXQ1Y?t=914

^go directly to 15:13 to hear him ask Simon Lizotte this:

"there are many many many ways to spin putt, but lets just use Paul McBeth, he's probably the best putter, the best spin putter in the world, wouldn't you say simon?"

what paul mcbeth does have is an excellent standard straddle/push putt too when he has to go straddle stance or awkward stance. You'll see mcbeth do a standard push/straddle putt often and he does a perfect one. So he has both an excellent spin putt as well as a push/straddle putt which makes him such a good putter because he's adaptable.

you could argue that McBeth's spin putt has a lot of combo-ish push/spin putt because he comes off staggered stance and his follow through is linear, but then again you could argue Wysoki and Big Germ are just as much as combo push/spin putters too. if you look at how strong McBeth is putting in the wind though you can see that he does have a great spin putt (wether its a combo or not).

either way McBeth does all his putts with a Aviar P&A variant (which is just a pro plastic P&A) which only solidifies the effectiveness of this mold.

Last edited:
I am trying to rebuild my game and Aviar P&A is my sole putter for now. XT for driving and approaching and DX for putting. Working out well and I may stick with them for the long-term. You can get them about anywhere, DX is affordable, and they come a wide array of plastics. What not to like.

Too tall. I have to have a slim line disc for consistency .

He said it was a new thought he has on mcbeths putting style. Honestly I haven't fact checked him. And if a mod wants to move this into a separate thread. Don't wanna pirate this thread.

He said one day he was thinking about it. "How can a spin putter constantly putt at such a high level of consistency?" And he said it's not really plausible. A spin putter has to release at the basket near perfectly every time to make the putt. While a push putter that never deviates from the vertical line can release at many different heights and still hit pole each time, just a bit up or down.

He said there are only three kinds of putters. Spin, push and pitch. A "spush" putter is just a push putter that uses a bit more wrist is what he was pointing out I think. Last sentence is my own, feldy didn't spell it out I inferred it from other things he said.

I'll do some Mcbeast tourny watching and look closer into it.

And maybe we can ask Timg to ask him for a response. I have great conversation recall and I know he said it. If it's true it's another thing.

...You can get them about anywhere, DX is affordable, and they come a wide array of plastics. What not to like.

This^^^

And I'll add that you can easily get them in any weight. This is important to me since I only throw 150 class

Aviars are the least sexy disc on the market; old, slow, beginner friendly, cheap, common, etc.

But they work really well and I currently have 5 in my bag... and I might add #6 and 7 after I beautify them ;)

The Aviar is my putter of choice. I have several in DX plastic, one in star plastic, and the one I use in play is a KC-Pro, all 175g. I have never laid my hands on one in Champion plastic, but whenever I see one, I will be buying it.:thmbup:

He said it was a new thought he has on mcbeths putting style. Honestly I haven't fact checked him. And if a mod wants to move this into a separate thread. Don't wanna pirate this thread.

He said one day he was thinking about it. "How can a spin putter constantly putt at such a high level of consistency?" And he said it's not really plausible. A spin putter has to release at the basket near perfectly every time to make the putt. While a push putter that never deviates from the vertical line can release at many different heights and still hit pole each time, just a bit up or down.

He said there are only three kinds of putters. Spin, push and pitch. A "spush" putter is just a push putter that uses a bit more wrist is what he was pointing out I think. Last sentence is my own, feldy didn't spell it out I inferred it from other things he said.

I'll do some Mcbeast tourny watching and look closer into it.

And maybe we can ask Timg to ask him for a response. I have great conversation recall and I know he said it. If it's true it's another thing.

It is possible for Mr Feldberg to not be wrong either way. First, McBeth might've evolved his style a little bit over time. Second, there may be some semantics, and a gray area of where push and spin putting merge. Third, and similar, McBeth might be doing some push-spin hybrid stroke. Many others, myself included, either consciously or unconsciously do some of both.

Just do what works for you....

I always gravitate towards headless putters. looking back they were all relatively shallow. i think the taller aviar is what is helping me putt so well with it. snagged another mcpro today and man what a great feeling blend on that. i like stiffer putters so i think the mcpro will be my circle putter and a dx for longer runs. plus with the mcpro i can be like mike. or well paul

The Aviar P&A is great. Was the first putter I had and then was replaced by Warlocks (nearly identical mold, but in better plastic) after losing it in a creek. I still have a heavily beat P&A in the bag for jump putts and various upshots.

Wut iz this thread?! I never understand how people get sold on a putter helping them make putts. Its not the disc lol.

Conversation recall? Thats real?

Wut iz this thread?! I never understand how people get sold on a putter helping them make putts. Its not the disc lol.

Sunday morning trolling, Aim?

Maybe, maybe not.

While I had run the gamut looking for the perfect putter and after a lot of practice I've come to the conclusion that I can pretty much putt with anything if I take the time to learn the disc. But, I do putt better with wide rimmed beaded putters due to a cleaner release.

Always liked throwing Aviars, but with no bead, they tend to get caught up in the crease of my finger and I yank them a little too far right.

Sure anyone can putt with anything. And a stack of putters of all sorts helps to learn mechanics. I've learned a shallow putter doesn't work as well for my style. I went back to the putter that is easiest to find cheapest to get a stack of. It is the disc, weather it's real or in my head I'm sinking putts with this disc right now.