• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

This happened to my resistor after I tomahawked it into a massive rock hillside. I was so bummed, put it back in the bag and after a hole to cool down and collect myself from the sadness, I heated it up with my lighter and formed it back together. I hardly notice it now and flies exactly the same as it did before the trauma. If this were to happen again I would wait till I got back home and heat up a thin piece of metal, maybe a knife or file or ruler and get the inside of the cut first and form it back together. Then heat the outside if necessary. Mine is holding fine after a couple weeks just by heating the outside, but I would feel better knowing the inside was good and fused as well.

The MVP brothers once compared the overmold to Star plastic as the weighting agents are not as strong as the urethane itself. I've gotten a few "notches" like that (though none getting quite that far into the overmold) on my discs and I just cut/sand it off. Strangely I've yet to notice it having a noticeable impact on flight. It bothered me at first, but now I'm thinking these kinds of battle scars are breaking in my MVP/Axiom discs, and that is not easy to do.

Same here. I am actually wondering if the seams where the OM meet actually give the molds some added stability almost like micro beads or flashing which doesn't really wear down like you see on the bottom on the cores and normal "flashing". MVP also appears to push the seam out further so the flashing is not right at the bottom either which you see on lat/innova etc-- so besides discs like the groove/monarch molds (super exaggerated comparison) the wing feel is very unique and wonder if there is anything to it regarding how the discs hold their stability for so long even when they look like hell.

Last edited:
Regarding MVP's durability...I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the overmold's transfer of energy to the core on impact...It's got to do it differently than a solid body disc. Kind of like the different ways sound travels through a solid body bass guitar vs a bolt-on neck bass guitar. It would be awesome to see some super high speed video of an MVP impact vs regular disc impact to see how the percussion waves travel.

So it looks like the crave has won out for me over the servo. Both are great discs but the last few days when I need that shot I've reached for the crave like an old glove. Brand new it was a toss up but slightly seasoned I just like the craves lines better.

Now to get a proton crave:thmbup:

Last edited:
So I already own an Amp and 2 Leopards (1 champ, 1 pro), and I like my MVP plastic I own (Amp, Tangent, Axis, Vector). But I'm wondering if I should pick up a Crave.

My bag: Star wraith, star & champ beast, 2 I-dye Valkyrie, 1 champ Valkyrie, neutron volt, neutron amp, 2 leopards, tangent, axis, vector, ce classic roc, ion, anode

I have only played using one of my new Craves once, so far, and have been busy with moving since. Can hardly wait to play next, but interestingly, I find that I am thinking about and looking forward to throwing that Crave more than playing in general.

So, the short of it is: Yes, get a Crave!

I purchased a proton crave in the high 160's and now own a max weight neutron and a 163 neutron as well as the proty. These guys are money in almost all situations. In order to work on my form and my distance development I took the speed 9 and 10's out of my bag. I just love how this is stable enough to hold a headwind shot but not to stable to hyzer out early. It is just stubborn enough to not turn over and fight back into the wind. With a tailwind the thing is volt like. I really like this being a very consistent and predictable new driver for me. When it hits 350 I will introduce the big brothers again. It is a great workable fairway driver. More and more this axiom line impresses me!

What's your favorite plastic and weight for this disc?

I find myself liking the proton plastic with my MVP mids. Even though my neutron amp is money. It must be an early run because it's pretty stable. More stable than my volt.

Okay, so I've been running with a 168 resistor, 168 servo and a 156 servo. Love the combo of overstable to stable in the same feeling plastic, use them for sidearm and backhand equally. Then things went sideways, lost both servos.:thmbdown:. Soooooooo, to replace them, I'll for sure grab another 168 servo, but want to replace the 156 with either a 168 switch or 168 crave to keep all 3 the same weight with a similar feel. what am I going to see as the big difference between the two? I was getting 280 - 320 feet on different lines with the servos backhand and about 250 sidearm.

I think pairing them is great. Most wouldn't want to carry 5 fairways but for me a perfect short fairway lineup is resistor, servo, crave, switch(max), switch(150 class). To me those 5 discs cover the spectrum completely and evenly.

Okay, so I've been running with a 168 resistor, 168 servo and a 156 servo. Love the combo of overstable to stable in the same feeling plastic, use them for sidearm and backhand equally. Then things went sideways, lost both servos.:thmbdown:. Soooooooo, to replace them, I'll for sure grab another 168 servo, but want to replace the 156 with either a 168 switch or 168 crave to keep all 3 the same weight with a similar feel. what am I going to see as the big difference between the two? I was getting 280 - 320 feet on different lines with the servos backhand and about 250 sidearm.

With the 168 crave neutron I have found a bit longer of a straight flight at first with a bit of fade at the end, as it seasons straight to turn. The proton seems to be a bit more stable but not in a bad way, it is stubborn in the wind and the fade at the end I have found to be more pronounced in proton. The servos will still fade more. I have a max weight and a 163 servo and both of them have a tad more LSS than the servo. But I do not have a ton of arm speed to speak of, I throw my craves and servos 280-310 and volts not much more than that.

AIM, BIGSKY, and the other testers may have more info.

One thing is, I think you'll see more bite in the fade from the Switch, at least out of the box.

Your power level will determine if you see more HSS turn from the Switch...

What I've seen with the Servo/Switch combo is...they're very different over the first 90% of their flights, but they're nearly identical over the last 5-10%. I get significant turn from a 168 Switch, almost none if any from a 172 Servo. But, they both finish with a pretty aggressive fade right at the end.

Someone else will have to elaborate w/r/t the Crave, but from the trusted guys on here, it sounds like it has a bit less HSS than the Servo, and a much less pronounced fade than either the Switch/Servo.

Last edited:
Nearly same HSS as the Servo, and a much less pronounced fade than either the Switch/Servo.

FTFY^ :thmbup: The Crave flight defines stable fairway driver. It also has a little more carry or glide to the flight than a volt/servo/switch (really the most of any MVP disc IMO next to the anode)

I honestly feel like the I'm the only one that has had the experience I have with Switches. For me they are the most understable fairway driver MVP makes by a long shot, and I would never compare the fade of them to Servos.

For me the Crave is very neutral and holds any line I need from a workhorse fairway driver. Its just one of those discs that does what I tell it to every time. Neutral enough to be very versatile but has enough HSS that its still quite reliable.

periodicalcicada, the Crave pairs very well with the Servo. It has a similar feel and flight, its just like if you beat all the fade out of your Servo but it had similar HSS. For me the Switch is a lot different, I would not classify it as a stable driver, it is very understable for me. The Switch fills a useful role but it is not what I'd recommend for a go to stable fairway driver unless you threw more like 250-275' max.

I carry a max Resistor, max Servo, max weight Crave and 169 Crave. I've been enjoying the 170ish Neutron Craves the most so far, but should be getting some Proton to test out soon.

Either way, try a Crave. They are precise, reliable and have incredible glide. They go very far for how narrow their rim is too!