• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AZplaya ITB

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
Guess I'll use this as an introduction as well, since I had too many post to introduce myself in the noob section once I realized it was there lol.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 8 years off and on
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, occasional flick upshot/scramble
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard/Shield: 225/260'; Roc: 260/290'; Eagle: 310/330'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Tennis, Mountain Biking, Trail Running
Additional Information: Just a note about my screen name - that was my screen name back on party poker, and I've used it ever since. Sometimes gives people the wrong idea about my demographics... I no longer live in AZ, I live in Round Rock, Texas, I'm no longer a "playa", super married with a couple of kids, and I'm no longer 25. I spent 8 years torquing a champion xcal sidearm with horrible form, then decided to get serious about learning to throw a couple of months ago.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Like - Simple, love DX plastic. I signed up for a tourney on 6/14 at my home course (Cat Hollow for any Austin peeps.) Wondering if there is anything I need to add for tourney play. Dislike - none, just wish I could throw farther lol.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Trying to improve distance without losing accuracy, not sure when to "disc up"
Immediate and long-term goals: Signed up for MA3 in the upcoming tourney - my last tourney was in September, played MA3 when I was still torquing an Xcal, sidearm only, all day long . By the end of the day my arm was dead and I could barely throw. Ended up finishing 3rd from the bottom. Would like to win or at least finish top 3 in the upcoming tourney, then move up to either MA2 or 40+ by the fall.

Played my first "real" round today after about 10 weeks of field work. Played on my home course where I'll be playing this tourney. This is what I rolled with
Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
167 DX Eagle, (fresh) - main driver - threw this exclusively on everything out of ROC range
170 DX Banshee, (super beat) - basically flys like my eagle with less turn and less glide. Didn't throw it today
175 DX Banshee, (new) - overstable - didn't throw this today either, found myself reaching for my DX roc when I needed something beefy.

Mids:
175 DX ROC, (new) - stiff and super beefy, used it for a couple of flex lines today.
175 KC Pro Roc (lightly used) - threw this disc more than anything besides my putter today. I love this disc.

Putters:
175 S Wizard, (slightly beat) - main putter
175 BT Hard Shield - upshots, flick anny lines when scrambling.

I've got an BT Hard harp on the way, my Shield is good for laser straight upshots, figured could use something that I can count on hyzering towards the basket. KC roc glides a bit too much for upshots, and DX roc is a little too beefy.

Obvious slot I'm missing is a true distance driver. I've got a few options sitting on the sidelines - champ tern, champ valk, and an escape might be the best options. Only thing is I feel like I can get that DX eagle out to 320 with accuracy, something faster might get me 340-350 with higher chance of complete disaster.

Your bag's all fine. Add one of those distance driver options if it improves your game (any of the three sounds good), otherwise no need to change anything.

Your wishes are technique, tactics and mental game related topics. This is where you should work at (which you can get help in this forums as well, as you probably already know). Your bag doesn't limit you at all in this respect.

AZplaya ITB for 2020 Carnage at the Cat

Dialed in my bag this morning for my tourney on Sunday. First tourney of 2020, and first tourney since my weeks of field work to learn to throw a backhand.

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
166 Star Valk (slightly beat) main distance driver though less controllable than eagle. Can get it out to 350 but more prone to flipping and going WAY off line.
168 Champ Valk (slightly beat) stable distance driver, can't get it as far as the Valk but can't flip it over either.
167 DX Eagle, (fresh) - control driver - all 300 ft + holes that require shot shaping shaping
170 DX Teebird (beat) - hyzer flip, dead straight out to about 340. I keep finding more spots to throw this disc
168 Glow Champ Teebird(fresh) dead straight with a healthy fade. Fly's similar to my champ valk with less of an S-curve on a flex shot.
170 Star Eagle (fresh) - replaced my DX banshee which is stuck way up in a tree. This thing is beefy, actually has a meaner hook than the DX banshee. Utility disc at my current power level.

Mids:
175 DX ROC, (new) - stiff and super beefy, excellent for flicks and flex lines
175 KC Pro Roc (lightly used) - dead straight with lots of glide. May throw this a bit less in the tourney just because it is more prone to a flip/cut roll disaster if my release isn't perfectly clean. I've also started using this for longer jump putts.
175 DX Cobra (new) basically throw this on any shot that needs to finish right but the ceiling is too low for a putter turnover. very predictable and consistent disc for me.

Putters:
168 Firm Wizard (fresh) - driving putter, almost all upshots. I find myself throwing this on almost everything under 260 feet
175 Orgio Burst Harp (fresh) OS upshots, easy to range, scramble flex shots, sits and sticks.
175 Firm Wizard, (slightly beat) - main putter
175 BT Hard Shield - upshots, flick anny lines when scrambling.

May end up pulling the Valks out of my bag - I'm playing MA3, so the extra 20 feet I get with my Valks might not be worth the potential of going way off line. Plus it would be cool to win my division with nothing faster than a speed 7 in the bag

Feel like my bag is finally set after adding in the MOLF. Shot my best round at my home course today (Cat Hollow), headed out to play a much longer course tomorrow in Williamson County.
Here's my bag:

Putters
Beat DX aviar for putter turnovers
Fresh DX aviar - putting and windless upshots
BT hard harp - windy putts or long puts I need to sit

Mids
slightly beat DX Roc - dead straight out to 300 ish, like a longer Aviar
Fresh DX Roc - workhorse mid, use this for drives, windy approaches, forehand drives , all the mid things besides dead straight

Fairways
Super beat dx banshee - dead straight out to 320ish, awesome forehand roller disc as well.
Fresh DX banshee - use this when I need something more stable than my roc (not often)
Beat dx eagle X - hyzer flip with right finish, will probably be a roller disc soon
Slightly beat dx eagle X - hyzer flip to dead straight out to 350
Star eagle X - now my workhorse driver - used to be so beefy but improved power plus some tree hits have resulted in a match made in Heaven.
12x champ eagle X - just added to the bag, super beefy, skips and spike hyzers beautifully

Distance drivers

Fusion escape - longest disc in my bag, starting to get squirrelly as my power improves, hope to replace with a beat MOLF
MOLF - picked up 4 of the 1.3 MOLFs based on something I read in an old thread by ODBR and I absolutely love this disc. It's basically a longer, beefier eagle and the M plastic is soooo nice. Fully expect to bag all 4 of them in various levels of beatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple changes to the bag. I keep pulling the harp in and out. Been trying to hit more "harp line" with my Rocs. Definitely think the Harp may be a crutch, but it's a consistent crutch, so I'll be adding it back in for rounds where scores matter. I'm going to play Rivery up in Georgtown tomorrow for my first time. Looks to be really tight and wooded, my favorite kind of course. Here's how I'm rolling:

Putters
Beat DX aviar putter turnover drives/upshots
Slightly beat DX aviar - main putter
Fresh DX aviar - main upshot discs inside of 150

Mids
slightly beat DX Roc - everything that needs to go straight with little fade inside of 250, outside Aviar range
Fresh DX Roc - workhorse mid, use this for drives, windy approaches, forehand drives , all the mid things besides dead straight

Fairways
Beat dx eagle X - hyzer flipper, line shaper
QJLS - just added to the bag - awesome disc - basically like a perfectly seasoned Roc that flys an extra 80 feet.
MOLF - lightly seasoned - becoming my workhorse sidearm driver, getting out to 350ish on sidearms with this thing, super predictable fade, still a bit beefy for my backhand.
12x champ eagle X - basically the firebird slot for my noodle arm
Distance Drivers
Lucid Renegade - 172g - just found this disc in a crate in my garage, apparently I got it at some little trilogy challenge back in 2014. This disc absolutely bombs...also, it's the only distance driver I've ever thrown with a comfortable rim for my small hands. Maybe need to pick up 1 or 23 more of these off MST or ebay.

Couple changes to the bag. I keep pulling the harp in and out. Been trying to hit more "harp line" with my Rocs. Definitely think the Harp may be a crutch, but it's a consistent crutch, so I'll be adding it back in for rounds where scores matter. I'm going to play Rivery up in Georgtown tomorrow for my first time. Looks to be really tight and wooded, my favorite kind of course. Here's how I'm rolling:

Putters
Beat DX aviar putter turnover drives/upshots
Slightly beat DX aviar - main putter
Fresh DX aviar - main upshot discs inside of 150

Mids
slightly beat DX Roc - everything that needs to go straight with little fade inside of 250, outside Aviar range

Fairways
Beat dx eagle X - hyzer flipper, line shaper
QJLS - just added to the bag - awesome disc - basically like a perfectly seasoned Roc that flys an extra 80 feet.
MOLF - lightly seasoned - becoming my workhorse sidearm driver, getting out to 350ish on sidearms with this thing, super predictable fade, still a bit beefy for my backhand.
12x champ eagle X - basically the firebird slot for my noodle arm
Distance Drivers
Lucid Renegade - 172g - just found this disc in a crate in my garage, apparently I got it at some little trilogy challenge back in 2014. This disc absolutely bombs...also, it's the only distance driver I've ever thrown with a comfortable rim for my small hands. Maybe need to pick up 1 or 23 more of these off MST or ebay.

Looking forward to when that slightly beat Roc gets flippy, that fresh Roc takes the place of the straight one, and you add another fresh Roc to the bag.

(If you decide to cycle Rocs. Also might take a while depending on various factors. But it is worth it!)

The Renegade is OOP in case you didn't know. So you way want to pick up 23 lol.

ITB update for this coming Saturday, playing the young at heart disc golf experience with my 11 year old daughter at the Flying Armadillo Golf Club. Longest hole is 150 feet and it's alternating doubles. Should be a blast.

In my bag
DX Aviar PnA
Beat
Seasoned
Fresh

Seasoned DX Rhyno
May throw the Harp in there for utility shots

In her bag
Seasoned star coyote
Some Paige Pierce signature putter she convinced me she needed. No idea what the mold is. Pretty sure it's jawbreaker plastic

Playing a tourney tomorrow at the Met Center in Austin. Never played the course and didn't have time to drive across town this week to check it out. Apparently it's a long course with tons of OB, so my strategy will be 250 foot Roc shots, staying inbounds and playing for par. 31 people in Rec so a decent finish will come with a nice payout. Here goes nothing:

Using Blate T's old template

stable control driver:
DX Eagle X, 175g - fresh

distance driver:
DX Eagle X, 175g - fresh
Thought about bagging the new champ roadrunner I just acquired, but I haven't thrown it long enough to add it to a tourney bag.

understable driver:
DX Eagle X, 164g - beat

moderately overstable driver:
MOLF, 171g - seasoned (can't get this out as far as my EX's but this trust this disc more in moderate headwind and for forehand drives)

very overstable driver
DX Banshee, 175g - fresh
DX Banshee, 161g - fresh
Champion Eagle X, 165g - fresh (basically flys like a Banshee with a harder fade and a bigger skip)

Midrange:
DX Rocs, 180g
Fresh
Seasoned
Beat

Putt/Approach:
DX Rhyno, 171g - fresh
DX Rhyno, 171g - worn
DX Aviar PnA, 175g - fresh
DX Aviar PnA, 175g - worn

May end up adding a slight beat Orgio Harp to the bag. Nice to have something with strong fade and minimal skip.
Might actually take the champ eagle out of the bag. I don't throw it much, and it's one less decision to make out there.

Took 6th out of 20 in MA3 today at carnage at the cat. Really like my set up right now, didn't have many tough decisions with disc selection.
Distance drivers - fresh MOLF, Seasoned SOLS
Control drivers - fresh champ eagle X, fresh DX Eagle X, beat DX Eagle X
Mids - fresh dx Roc, beat DX roc, fresh DX cobra
Approach - VIP Harp, beat Orgio harp, fresh Omega Big Bead
Putters - pandas

Attachments

• 321D5A2B-B0F6-40F6-9E53-3B26657CEB88.jpg
    321D5A2B-B0F6-40F6-9E53-3B26657CEB88.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts