• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] [B][/B] One disc only Forever

At one point I took out of the bag a few discs in 2015, and worked on it more in 2016. This made me confident I could do a one disc round again. I did in 2003 and early 2004 use a Lighting Rubber Putter Pre DuPont material one my uncle found on his local course, we were playing on vacation in Winnona MN and he gave it to me. I used that Lighting Rubber Putter as my only disc as I did not know where to find discs online, nobody near me sold discs, even though we had a 9 hole with mach 3 bask with old basket catcher disc golf course just put in late in 2002. The same course is now an 18 hole since 2008 with a putter basket in 2016 at it, using in mid 2016 all Mach 3 the new ones with blue on the whole basket. We also have had another 18 hole course in since late 2006 to early 2007 now as of 2016 with modified mach 3 tops old ones from the other course with the old Lighting DB-5 basket catchers.

We now have a place that sells Innova/Discmania/Millennium but not hyzerbomb. The Millennium Omega putters in all plastic types sell well. The Polecats do not somehow, becuse all that is left on the shelf is light =weight ones and Walmart has DX, XT, and both Pro plasics discs so most of those discs in DX, XT, and both Pro plastics at the sports shop do not sell well.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Wow! A simple question and we get another wall of text!:wall:
You do like to ramble

So with that, a second. . . What?:confused:

Some kind of stable-to-overstable midrange. Probably a compass, but the anchor is really working for me right now....

Going to add to the Rhyno train. If I could only use one mold it'd be a Rhyno. Now, multiple plastics too?

I'd go with some DX, a G* and maybe a Champion.

I put a lot of thought into it, smart money would be to pick a mid or putter, I'd go Comet but I'm not big on putting with it so that makes it the Tangent... but in the end I play for fun not for smarts so...

Roadrunner, final answer. I vote it the most fun and flexible Disc ever and good for every shot... FH, BH ,Roller, hammer. Putting will annoy me but it would annoy me more not to be able to rip on something when playing those 600' + holes.

For people picking putters, aren't you considering long holes? Surely you will get destroyed by people with drivers unless they shank and screw up bad.

For people picking putters, aren't you considering long holes? Surely you will get destroyed by people with drivers unless they shank and screw up bad.

I recommend a viewing of the first round of the USDGC. One Paige Pierce was throwing putter, putter, putter. She played her own game while on the card with the likes of McBeth and Big Jerm. No, her score wasn't as good as theirs, but she had a solid approach to her round, and if she'd not missed some putts here and there, she'd have scored really well relative to all those driver-heaving men.

During the winter, I like to play putter-only rounds. I work on form and accuracy (especially on approach shots). Then I add a midrange, then up to fairway/control drivers.

So in a one-disc round, you might be surprised how well a trusty putter will score via-a-vis driver-only.

Last edited:

I didn't pick a putter (I picked a Roc which I can also putt pretty well with), but I think it depends on your division and the courses you play. There are plenty of putters I can throw close to 300 feet as long as the hole doesn't have a low ceiling. On a lot of courses, that's plenty of distance to birdie quite a few holes. The accuracy of a putter also means that even on longer holes where I can't birdie, I am also unlikely to bogey very often.

If I'm playing a tournament in MPO, then of course not having the ability to birdie every hole because of distance concerns is going to hurt because the players there are really trying to birdie everything. However, I'd guess a lot of players in MA2 or even MA1 could do very well with just a putter. They might get less birdies but also less bogeys. It would depend on the course though for sure.

Also, you have to be aware that with a single disc you are giving something up no matter what type of disc you choose. I don't think I would ever be as good at putting or approaching with a driver, so you have to ask yourself if you pick a driver whether you won't get destroyed by people who can actually make their 25 foot putts or who are able to throw straight approach shots accurately.

So in a one-disc round, you might be surprised how well a trusty putter will score via-a-vis driver-only.

If the percentage of missed putts with a driver is noticably higher than with a putter (which I assume is), then you still keep up with an additional approach shot every here and there on longer holes. Not to talk of wooded courses where slower, more accurate throws save you more strokes than 20% of additional distance.

My Lucid Truth

It goes straight, far, and fades dependably and not too strongly. It holds level in headwind, forehand and backhand. It holds hyzer well at 60-70% power. It is... not great but not atrocious at annys. I lose 25-40' over my longest drivers.

I lose essentially nothing at putting, except controlling roll-away by using a softer disc.

On any round, I might shoot 2 to 5 strokes worse using only the Truth, as opposed to my full bag.

Ok... why AM I carrying that whole bag, then? :D

The putter that I choose is a faster speed putter, so I'm not giving up that much distance then my mid-range. It is a disc that is comfortable in my hand and a disc that my noodle can get up to it's proper speed. I can also manipulate it on most angles that I would need to. I'm most likely to ever going to be competing at a professional level so I won't need to throw that far. Just accurate placement golf. Also when I take new players out for a round I have them throw a putter and I also throw one too. People underestimate them because it says putter on it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It seems a lot more tiring to keep throwing putters hard.

I did watch Paige. Seemed very demanding strategy on her body.

Dude, have you never thrown a putter? For most stable putters (not the Zones or Pigs of the world obviously), it takes a lot less energy to make them fly 250 feet than it does to make a driver fly 350 feet.

Seriously, find a decent, straight putter and go play some one-disc rounds with it. It doesn't take much effort because you really don't want to overpower it. I would work way harder playing a 1-disc Destroyer or Thunderbird round than a 1-disc Colt or Atom round.

You might be right. But Paige was choosing her spots with her strategy, i.e. she was not just trying to throw the putter as hard as she could, but was trying to put it in a certain location to set up her next shot.

Anyhoo, point being that even pros use putter strategies on seemingly long holes. That McCray guy throws a Shield a hugely long way...

I'm not worried so much about ever being able to throw my putter 300ft, maybe it will happen but I'm not counting on it. I'm with tu-f-o, not so much for being destroyed by others as much as not being able to whale on something and get that satisfying drive, or worse yet get to a 800ft hole and plan on an awesome bogey putt. Putting with a driver isn't that big a deal, a lot of us do it when we start out before we discover what we should be doing. Roadrunner, out.

Edit/P.S. I did think Scorpion since that's what I played with for 8 or so years as a kid because I liked the stamp but no one would understand, well maybe the other old farts.

Last edited: