• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back to the game, need some advice and refreshing

mbarth

Hey all, I was an active member in the disc golf review community along with my local disc golf community 1.5 - 2 years ago but because of an intense college program and other commitments I have been away from my favorite hobby of disc golf. I used to play in 5-6 tourneys a year and have not thrown a disc in 1.5 years until the other day which I was happy to see I hadn't completely lost my game.

***THE POINT:

I am glad to have time once again to get in a few rounds a week, disc golf was always a passion of mine but I am now out of the loop when it comes to the "latest and greatest" plastic. I throw star & dx valks, dx teebirds/ star TLs, dx gazelles, dx rocs, and dx aviar A&ps. I am not a power player as I throw for my main driver a 169g Star Valkyrie about 320 feet consistently for my big drives. I was wondering what would be a good distance driver now that I see everything is 12-13 speed. (when I was in my prime the Wraith was the baddest so I don't even know where to go with Innova's newer lines). Again, I top out at 340+ish with a star valk, 310-320 consistantly so what would be a good addition to the bag to help me reach out a little further for those big D holes??

Thanks for the help in advance, I'm really pumped to be back to a sport I love!

If you are only throwing 320' right now consistently I wouldn't really recommend anything faster than what you are throwing.

Instead of looking for the biggest and baddest, I'd say embrace all the new companies in the game that weren't around as much back then.

Give the Discmania lineup a look. If you're a Valk thrower you'd probably really like the Discmania TD and if you enjoy Teebirds/TL's I'd recommend trying P-PD's as well. You might find that you throw both those discs better than your oldies.

Also, There are many new midranges on the market you could take a look at. A lot of people have been raving for the past few years over the Comet (which is now out in ESP plastic), as well as a new company called MVP disc sports. If you're a fan of that Aviar PnA you might wanna try an Ion from MVP.

Vibram is now pumping out discs, I know you throw only aviars as putters but you might want to try a new windy day putter for driving. Vibram has the VP and Ridge which are pretty unique in their plastics, stability, and durability.

Lets see...

If you're dead set on trying the latest and greatest I would recommend maybe trying a Vulcan. I would personally stick with the valkerie for a little bit and then maybe bump to a wraith (lighter star wraiths bomb) once your arm speed and form get back up to par.